Garmin etrex touch anyone??

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

Garmin etrex touch anyone??

Post by Mike »

So i bought one to see what its like as my old 62s wont power up from an external source. I like the feel of it and its ease of use but few issues..
1. garmin is so crap with bluetooth and android basically its not supported
2. Im concerned regards the touch screen in the cold i cant see it working with gloves on.
3. Oh and has any one got one and hiw do u rate it please..
The other half has got the new wahoo roam now this is great and fast and very easy to use but... it does t support os mapping and i like to see detail on the screen? :(
Surley wahoo could use open map source at least for some detail.

Anyhow is the touch worth the extra cost over the etrex 20 with the toggle switch.
belugabob

Re: Garmin etrex touch anyone??

Post by belugabob »

Garmin Etrex 35, with talkytoaster maps.
Basecamp on the PC for planning.

As long as you turn off the other types of maps, and select the correct type of routing (tour cycle/MTB/hiking), it'll send you in the right direction.

Touch screen is fine, if you have the right gloves. Runs off AAs, so spares can be obtained almost anywhere, but putting it in screen saver mode gets you at least a day of life.

Receives SMS messages from your phone, and uploads to Garmin Connect via the phone.

Liking the experience.
Last edited by belugabob on Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

My Dakota has a touch screen which probably isn't as good as your new one and that's fine, even with cold sausage fingers.
it does t support os mapping and i like to see detail on the screen? :(
I struggle to see what good a gps is without decent, clear and detailed mapping.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mike

Post by Mike »

After much googling and research the touch has gone back, im now back to the drawing board but the gps 64s ( the upgraded version of my current unit ) is looking the best option. The only reason i need a new one is because i want to run it from the dynamo and the 62 wont work from an ext battery source :(
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Can't you just use the dynamo to charge some AA?
May the bridges you burn light your way
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

My edge explore works with a dynamo via buffer battery, it can upload trails directly from my android phone using wikiloc or komoot. It even notifies me of text or whatsapp messages and I can reply using a range of pre-loaded messages without getting the phone out. I've paired it with a hrm watch and Garmin connect saves my activities as well as wikiloc. I sound like a proper fanboi but for the €200 I paid for it, it's a stone cold bargain. Cue it having a software meltdown :oops: