Experiences? The Dales between Skipton and Malham

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Matt531

Experiences? The Dales between Skipton and Malham

Post by Matt531 »

Now then all. I’ve been pointed to this forum by a good friend of mine. I’m planning a ride out to the West of Skipton with an overnight around Flasby Fell or Winterburn depending on the state of my legs, then get onto Mastiles Lane before the bank holiday throngs. What are people’s experiences of a Bivi in this area? Am I likely to find an oasis of welcoming dry level grass with moss shaped pillows and locals who enjoy giving out free beer? Or am I going to be chased away from dogging sites by shotgun wielding gamekeepers into the hands of shopkeepers who have ‘local shops for local people’? Thanks in advance, Matt.
RIP

Re: Experiences? The Dales between Skipton and Malham

Post by RIP »

Welcome to you! Most people get directed here by their enemies who then leave them rapidly, sniggering as they do so :wink: .

Uncle Bob'll be along in a tick (*) with every detail you could ever wish for around Skipton :-bd .

(a moment in time, not the other sort hopefully...)
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Ah, ta Reg🤕

How soon do you want the info? I won’t be back at my computer until tomorrow evening - typing on a phone isn’t my strong point!

Likely to be cattle on Flasby Fell.

There’s a few spots above Hetton that are out of the way. Look on the map for boss moor. Edit: removed reference to location 😘
Last edited by whitestone on Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Matt531

Post by Matt531 »

Great, Boss Moor; by the power of OS I’ve found it, and its edit: place ref’ rmvd

I’m planning on heading out Sunday so any info before then would be great.

Is the bridleway over Flasby a cattle poo ridden slog?

Er, yeah, never thought; maybe my “friend” has other motives :shock:
Last edited by Matt531 on Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Flasby can be muddy, the cattle are in the first couple of fields. Once you start to descend it’s better but it’s not a flowing trail to begin with, there’s boulders to ride over and around. The lower BW has been redirected in recent years and heads round to the right through bracken on an old cart track.
Matt531

Post by Matt531 »

Good info, thanks. The alternative was heading up to Bolton Abbey then across Embassy Moor but I fancy doing the Bridleway over Draughton Moor from Addingham.

I’ve ridden past the end of some of these on the road and looked at them on the map for years. It’s about time I actually got myself down them!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Of those two I'd say do the Bolton Abbey to Rylstone BW over Barden Moor, quite a bit of the interesting bit of the BW has been "upgraded" but there's still some good bits. The Draughton Moor BW is nothing special apart from the drop into Skipton which has a very short and steep section.

Doing the Barden Moor BW means very little road between the end of that and the start of Moor Lane up from Hetton. Once you get to the top of Moor Lane there's quite a few options over the tops
Matt531

Post by Matt531 »

That’s great info. Much appreciated. I’ll let you know how much fun I have, obviously loads: open moors in baking heat, no shade, hobo styleee sleeping... etc.

Matt