What's the weekend got in store?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gallowayboy

Re: What's the weekend got in store?

Post by gallowayboy »

If all goes well I'll get a BAM in on Saturday....working sat and sun, then off to eskdale on Monday for four nights, with bikes, so hopefully a big hill and a bit of "shralping" ( I believe it's called) with son. Also time for some swimming, walking and 🍺!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

... and now, it will be a weekend of one handed limping. Firstly I managed to stick something in the back of my left hand which appears to have done something quite odd to the nerves in it. Then, I walked straight into a steel post at quite a pace, resulting in the worst dead-leg I've ever had ... what kind of nob end sets a steel post in the ground at the side of a brick wall and paints it red? Do they not know about us colour blind folk FFS?
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bad luck Stu, commiserations :sad: . I'll bet the post had "beware of post" painted on the other side of it...
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

No, it had nowt Reg - I checked :wink: I shall be venturing out with some Hi-viz stickers for it when no one's looking, well, once my hand starts working again :roll:
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I'm going for a road ride with an old roadie friend (who I haven't ridden with for years) tomorrow. That all sounds nice except for the fact that since the last time we went on a ride together (about ten years ago) he's continued to ride regularly and I've had about five years away from "serious" cycling. I don't know whether it'll be as painful as walking into a metal post (hopefully not) but I'm expecting a bit of a kicking. :shock:
Last edited by Jurassic on Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Painting window frames mostly, so looking forward to that!!

Sunday I'm escaping to do a route through the Brecons - was meant to be 2 days of riding but that's been compressed into a single day by the magnetic draw of wooden window frames and a son's house that he's decorating with some help....

Hopefully the dog will get a walk as well.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Brecons
Beacons Steve, it's the Brecon 'Beacons'. :wink:
slarge

Post by slarge »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:13 pm
Brecons
Beacons Steve, it's the Brecon 'Beacons'. :wink:
sorry Stu, but you know where I meant. It's a route from Ian B that goes over the Black Mountains as well (also known as the Black Mountain.....)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

No Steve, the Black Mountain and the Black Mountains are two different places* :wink:

*but yeah, I know where you're going :wink:
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

On a train from Oslo to Bergen
Camp in a graveyard tonight
Then start cycling back to Oslo tomorrow
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

Ha! Lucky guy's! Will be rebuilding mehari engine tomorrow, hopefully get it back in and running by the evening (wishful, I know! ) Might get Sunday free for a ride along icknield way and a possible overnight overlooking the downs! May even Go out on the guzzi to Epping or even Hunstanton ,if I get back early enough on Monday ......
Insanity over vanity
RIP

Post by RIP »

"No Steve, the Black Mountain and the Black Mountains are two different places". Saw that coming :wink: . Reminds me that I still have on my bucket list a route including Lord Hereford's Knob, Three Cocks, and, er, Fan-y-Big. But not this weekend admittedly. Maybe November if anyone fancies it.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

Same as every year, I'll be doing Ride the North. Two days of roads swamped with roadies is the exact opposite of my normal preference, but we always have a good group from work together and a meal in Elgin the Saturday night, so it's nice to be a sociable cyclist for a change!
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

RIP wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:50 pm "No Steve, the Black Mountain and the Black Mountains are two different places". Saw that coming :wink: . Reminds me that I still have on my bucket list a route including Lord Hereford's Knob, Three Cocks, and, er, Fan-y-Big. But not this weekend admittedly. Maybe November if anyone fancies it.
Oh I’d be up for that, always wanted to sit on lord Hereford,s knob.

It’s half man, half biscuit’s fault. And my obstinately immature sense of humour :-bd

https://youtu.be/xpGedbY9F04

I also have a flat land, very odd caper inspired by

https://youtu.be/yY2aHxWV1xE

Which contains the gem of a lyric “you never hear of folk getting knocked on the bonce, although I heard there was a drive by shouting once”

My son sometimes declares ‘dad your silly’ it makes me so proud :-bd

Twmpa, Twmpa, you’re gonna need a jumper
It gets a bit chilly on top of Lord Hereford’s Knob
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

BigdummySteve wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:57 pm
?not so keen on Three Cocks though BDS? :-)
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

99percentchimp wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:07 pm
Been there done that :-bd me, reg and pickers almost certainly fit the bill :lol:
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

:lol: :lol: :-bd
BigdummySteve wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:22 pm
99percentchimp wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:07 pm
Been there done that :-bd me, reg and pickers almost certainly fit the bill :lol:
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

I think this weekend will mainly be spent hoping the blood tests don’t come back with anything too horrendous. I’ve been booked back in for more in 5 weeks time so something is going on.

Still quite fit enough to get a couple of 2 or 3hr jaunts in and the weather looks decent enough. I need to pack for a trip up to Loch Ness and beyond which, although partly for work should still be a good jolly.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:37 pm No Steve, the Black Mountain and the Black Mountains are two different places* :wink:

*but yeah, I know where you're going :wink:
I know, just testing :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

JoseMcTavish wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:52 pm Same as every year, I'll be doing Ride the North. Two days of roads swamped with roadies is the exact opposite of my normal preference, but we always have a good group from work together and a meal in Elgin the Saturday night, so it's nice to be a sociable cyclist for a change!
I normally help out with that event. For a few years I was the singer, de-signer (which meant I was always at the tale end of the ride as I can't take the signs in until the last rider is through). Last couple of years I've been a travelling mechanic, on a yellow Suzuki. I gave it a miss this year as I had other stuff on. Might join in as a rider next year. Neil Innes has offered to keep me a place.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Piemonster wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:33 am I think this weekend will mainly be spent hoping the blood tests don’t come back with anything too horrendous. I’ve been booked back in for more in 5 weeks time so something is going on.

You likely picked up some exotic disease in Lochcarron
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

You jest but. Whilst strolling along a back road I looked ‘into’ one of the “paths” that head up the hill, wondered to myself how many ticks are in there. Then without much thought lifted my lower leg into the undergrowth (actually should be a path) took my leg back out and removed a Tick. Didn’t even put a foot down ffs!
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Apparently the weekend will also involve catching a cold/manflu which has written off the nicest (weather) day in August up here. ~X(
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:08 pm
I normally help out with that event. For a few years I was the singer, de-signer (which meant I was always at the tale end of the ride as I can't take the signs in until the last rider is through). Last couple of years I've been a travelling mechanic, on a yellow Suzuki. I gave it a miss this year as I had other stuff on. Might join in as a rider next year. Neil Innes has offered to keep me a place.
I always wonder if I'll spot you out and about at RtN but didn't think to check out the motorbikers! If you've been one of the signers you must know my workmate Gareth - he's normally racking up tons of miles in his car putting them up and checking before we pass through in the morning.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yeah, Gareth and I were the signing team for a couple of years. Friday was spent putting them up then I'd take down Saturdays while he was putting up Sundays.