SRAM mech compatability

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rufus748

SRAM mech compatability

Post by rufus748 »

I've just swapped from a sram rival 1 set up to a double front chainring, new front mech and shifter. I kept the original rear mech assuming it would be ok but rear shifting is appalling.
I can't see why it won't (shouldn't) work or is the 1x rear mech on some way exclusive to the 1x system?
BigdummySteve

Re: SRAM mech compatability

Post by BigdummySteve »

Sram dropbar mechs are not compatible with the flat bar stuff, you’ve not mixed them have you?
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

no, all drop bar, Hydro r levers. It was working perfecly before I swapped from a single front ring to a double. I also put in a new cable but I've checked that and its running fine.
HUX

Post by HUX »

Hey Andy. I'm thinking about doing this so interested in which bits you bought. Im currently Rival 1x and was thinking GRX double chainset, rival 22 left hand shifter and front mech.........then just cross fingers and hope I can get it to work :grin:
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

I am struggling to understand which bits are new and which are the existing parts: you added a front mech and a new left hand shifter but it is the rear shifting that you are now not happy with (yes?)

Rear shifting with SRAM can be affected by the cable routing. What is the direction of the cable coming out of the shifter? There two ways, one is straighter than the other. Any other tight turns along the route? Is the cable outer compressionless?
psling

Post by psling »

I'm with jamiep on this one! Assuming that the existing rear mech and existing rear shifter have not been touched then all should be well at the rear. I see you've put in new cable inner - as suggested above, check cable routing. Is the outer in all the stops? If the only change to the rear gearing is the new inner and it's now not working, the problem must lie with the changing of the inner; either the cable/outer or something disturbed whilst changing the inner. The new front mech should have no effect on the performance of the rear (unless there is some crazy change to chainline).

Edit: The rear wheel is in the dropouts true and square?!?
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
HUX

Post by HUX »

If you have fitted a new rear cable you have clamped it in the mech correctly?! I somehow managed to get it wrong.....even tho it looked right :roll:
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Thanks guys. Rear mech and changer/brake/STI unit are original just added a new cable. Up front new changer/brake/STI unit (for double) new front mech and new double chainset.
Yes, checked the cable and routing and that's all good.
I spoke to SRAM technical this morning and the Rival 1 Rear mech wont work with a 2 x chainset. It results in crap gear changing....
So ordered a Rival 22 (should be here tomorrow) albeit it will probably require a goat/road link. I might try to just swap out the cage for a longer one first though.
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

1x rear mechs sensitive to chainline?
grmtylr

Post by grmtylr »

I wonder if the narrow/wide upper jockey wheel on the 1x rear mechs causes problems?
Other than that I can't see how it would make any difference having a double up front or a single!
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

jamiep wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:11 pm 1x rear mechs sensitive to chainline?
I believe so.
grmtylr wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:29 pm I wonder if the narrow/wide upper jockey wheel on the 1x rear mechs causes problems?
Other than that I can't see how it would make any difference having a double up front or a single!
I couldn't work it out. Made no sense to me. Could be the jockey wheel although I saw a diagram on-line that suggested it was more to do with chain line.

I can adjust it so it goes up ok-ish but then not down and when it does it takes three changes before it moves at all. Likewise down ok but not up smoothly. Fingers crossed the new mech sorts it. Never had a problem like this before
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Hopefully the 2x mech will sort it out. I'm running 2x10 on my gravel bike with sram Apex rear (2x mech obviously) and Shimano mountain bike chainset and front mech driven by Apex shifters. It all works fine together (which surprised me a bit) so the sram 2x set ups must be quite forgiving.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I can adjust it so it goes up ok-ish but then not down and when it does it takes three changes before it moves at all. Likewise down ok but not up smoothly. Fingers crossed the new mech sorts it. Never had a problem like this before
I had a similar problem with my rival shifter, after trying new cables and a new mech it turned out to be a shifter clogged with poor show, try taking the hood off and the side plates( the ones you remove to change cables) then use a good solvent and give the whole gubbins a jolly good scrubbing followed by a light dry lube.

My symptoms were very similar sounding, I’d click the shifter then it would either shift slowly or I’d click again followed by it then shifting two cogs. Drove my nuts finding the solution, I’ve now switched to a microshift barend, happy days :-bd

Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

You need Di3... :wink:
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Wotsits wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:29 pm You need Di3... :wink:
Eagle 12 speed shifted with a barend is very good, one day I’ll invest in an AXS Eagle upgrade but for now I’m a happy camper :-bd

rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Wotsits wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:29 pm You need Di3... :wink:
me? surely its on your Christmas list "Di-3 will also include on-board controls that allow riders to instantly access email, bank accounts, and social media networks such as Facebag, Tinder, Grinder, and Slither" :-bd
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

new rival 22 mech arrived today.
Fitted with (to be on the safe side) a road link. Works like a dream, silky smooth changes.
So it appears then it must be something to do with the chain line the Rival 1 doesn't like when trying to use a 2x up front.
HUX

Post by HUX »

Which cassette are you using Andy?
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Hux, I use 2 sets of wheels on the bike. A 650 gravel set using an 11 speed SRAM 10-42 and a 700c 11 speed Shimano 10-36.
Works great with both :-bd