Waterproofs

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Leerowe76

Waterproofs

Post by Leerowe76 »

Finally got round to my first solo night out and chose to ride up onto the horseshoe pass and yes it pissed it down for most of the way up so I was pretty soaked when I arrived,
And was wondering what waterproofs are actually waterproof and more importantly breathable the expensive kit doesn’t always mean it works so whether they be cheap or otherwise what do you use ? 👍🏼
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
ton

Re: Waterproofs

Post by ton »

Keela saxon. less that £60 on amazon.

seriously good jacket for the cash

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=keela+saxo ... _ss_i_4_11
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

+1 for the Keela saxon. Got one from the factory shop for £60. Very light and keeps normal rain out. Did let go in one of the deluges we had recently but nowt much would stand that. Spendy but bomproof (also very warm) option is a Paramo Quito
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Out of interest Phil is it easy enough to set up a blogspot as line yourself I’d like to remember where I’ve been and share rides n kit etc 👍🏼 CIA
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Ay up Lee,

Columbia Outdry jackets
Or Gore Shakedry are the answer
The Columbia is bulkier, not a breathable but long lasting and hard wearing.
The Gore is waffer thin but more breathable and easy to snag and rip, plus it's twice to three times the price of the Outdry (when it's on offer)

Both don't have a DWR
Durable Water Repellent coating, which on ALL other jackets is only good for 1 or 2 washes and never re proofs as good as new.

My Outdry is 4 years old and still looks and acts like its brand new.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Leerowe76 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:55 pm Out of interest Phil is it easy enough to set up a blogspot as line yourself I’d like to remember where I’ve been and share rides n kit etc 👍🏼 CIA
Yes you just go onto bloggspot.com the site and sign up. I have to say that its is not the best of ones to write on (although others may be as bad) it looks like they hacked a very early version of word for it. It took me a bit of mucking about to get a front page set up. My main issue is that when you are typing, what you see isn't what you get so it takes a lot of faffing to get a post to look like you want, particularly the pictures. I suspect if your a dtp expert it will be easy.
composite

Post by composite »

Anyone got thoughts on the Alpkit waterproofs, the Balance or the Gravitas?
composite

Post by composite »

JohnClimber wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:59 pm My Outdry is 4 years old and still looks and acts like its brand new.
Which Outdry specifically do you have John?
composite

Post by composite »

htrider wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:43 pm +1 for the Keela saxon. Got one from the factory shop for £60. Very light and keeps normal rain out. Did let go in one of the deluges we had recently but nowt much would stand that. Spendy but bomproof (also very warm) option is a Paramo Quito
ton wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:36 pm Keela saxon. less that £60 on amazon.

seriously good jacket for the cash

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=keela+saxo ... _ss_i_4_11
How well does this jacket breath guys?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Leerowe76 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:55 pm Out of interest Phil is it easy enough to set up a blogspot as line yourself I’d like to remember where I’ve been and share rides n kit etc 👍🏼 CIA
Lee, I use Blogger. It plays well with google (especially photos) if you use that already. As you suggest, I mainly use it to record my journeys for myself, something I was doing with pen and paper once upon a time. Some folk liked a couple I typed out so I put them online now for general interest. TBH, I've not really played around with the formatting since I set it up a few years back. I should really have another good look at it. Maybe a Winter project...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

composite wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:34 pm
JohnClimber wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:59 pm My Outdry is 4 years old and still looks and acts like its brand new.
Which Outdry specifically do you have John?
I have an Outdry Ex Gold Techshell (it was on offer from SportPursuit). The combination of pit zips and large vented pockets makes it reasonably pleasant to wear when it's damp and warm, or on those days you'd be constantly taking it off and on. It looks a bit cheap and plasticky but otherwise seems well made and seems to put up with abuse.
composite

Post by composite »

Is this the same fabric do you reckon?
https://www.columbiasportswear.co.uk/p/ ... 49092.html
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I had a Keela Saxon, and wasn't massively impressed. The DWR seemed to wear out very quickly, and I had no joy reproofing it.
After many recommendations on here, I've now got an Outdry. Too early for me to comment on its durability, but the waterproofing seems excellent.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It looks very similar Neil - just more expensive.

It would appear that the lighter / stretchy outdry jackets might not breath (or perhaps vent) quite as well as the EX Gold etc. Can't say for certain but I've got the EX Gold like John and have found it great. A waterproof for the foulest of conditions imo.
May the bridges you burn light your way
composite

Post by composite »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:50 am
It looks very similar Neil - just more expensive.

It would appear that the lighter / stretchy outdry jackets might not breath (or perhaps vent) quite as well as the EX Gold etc. Can't say for certain but I've got the EX Gold like John and have found it great. A waterproof for the foulest of conditions imo.
An EX Gold in Medium seems to be like rocking horse crap. Even the Columbia site doesn't have any stock of any size which maybe suggests that the line has been replaced? Found the Outdry Ex Reign at a much better price than I linked up there, but only on pre-order for mid-September. :|

I have struggled with waterproofs for years and have never really had one that I have been that happy with. My experience has generally led me to the conclusion that it's about staying warm, not dry. I either get rain-wet but don't sweat or sweat wet but keeps the rain out. :| I think pit zips have always been the best for me in terms of venting though, I guess that's the feature at the top of my list this time.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sport Pursuit usually have them on a fairly regular basis Neil but obviously that may not continue if Columbia are changing models.

They are a weird jacket - they both look and feel quite 'cheap' but that's the nature of the material and nothing to do with quality of manufacture. Some people do talk about a lack of breathability but I've never had any trouble - however, I do consider it my 'worse conditions' jacket and will very happily trade a bit of sweat for the abilty to keep 3 days of wind-driven rain outside without wetting out or simply giving up after 5 hours.

I once rode 100km in summer with it on to see what would happen (it was warm and dry) I had both the pit-zips and pockets (slightly) open and I didn't find it bad at all. My advice is - if you're bothered about how you look, don't buy one. If you want a cycling specific cut, don't buy one but if you want something to keep the very worst of the weather at bay day after day without having to worry about re-proofing, buy one.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:40 am
They are a weird jacket - they both look and feel quite 'cheap' but that's the nature of the material and nothing to do with quality of manufacture.......

My advice is - if you're bothered about how you look, don't buy one. If you want a cycling specific cut, don't buy one but if you want something to keep the very worst of the weather at bay day after day without having to worry about re-proofing, buy one.
I'd echo all of that.
composite

Post by composite »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:40 am if you're bothered about how you look, don't buy one. If you want a cycling specific cut, don't buy one but if you want something to keep the very worst of the weather at bay day after day without having to worry about re-proofing, buy one.
I just want something that works. Have tweeted Columbia to see what they say about the line.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I just want something that works.
if it helps - I've not worn a bin bag since buying one :wink:
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I have the Outdry Ex Light Columbia jacket which coincidentally has just had it's sternest test yet over the last two days when I did a trip in horrible weather. Conditions were terrible with driving rain and strong winds (it's the first time I've ever felt the need to ride with my hood up over my helmet). I was out in the weather for about five hours on the first day and two hours the second day. I found that my base layer was pretty damp to the extent that I changed into my spare dry base layer as soon as we'd set up our overnight camp rather than keep wearing the damp layer to dry it out with my body heat which is what I usually do. The dampness was pretty uniformly spread over the merino top I was wearing which suggests to me that it was perspiration rather than a leak. To be fair my previous experiences with Goretex jackets have been that I would have expected to get wet in those conditions but just for balance, don't expect to necessarily be bone dry in Outdry (at least not in the light version that my jacket is made from).
With hindsight I would probably buy the heavier weight version of the jacket if I was buying again, pit zips would be nice for mixed conditions (mine doesn't have them) rather than trying to save a few grams in weight and a slightly smaller packed size.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:43 pm
Lee, I use Blogger. It plays well with google (especially photos) if you use that already. As you suggest, I mainly use it to record my journeys for myself, something I was doing with pen and paper once upon a time. Some folk liked a couple I typed out so I put them online now for general interest. TBH, I've not really played around with the formatting since I set it up a few years back. I should really have another good look at it. Maybe a Winter project...
Blogger and blogspot are one and the same, thanks to the Google evil empire....

Back OT, the Keela Saxon breathes OK for such a thin (and cheap jacket) but not as good as the Paramo obviously.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’ve a paramo which I love, its a bit of a microclimate inside when working hard, you do feel the perspiration but never wet, however too warm until autumn/winter. My summer top in an OMM which seems to keep me dry while breathing well.

The outdry didn’t work for me, I found it much like wearing a bin bag.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Another for the outdry echoing what they all said
it not a summer one - though i can get away with wearing it for 3 hour rides at 20 degrees . I was genuinely surprised by how it handed it [ though the sweat is going to get you wet at that temp eventually] but i would not be carrying it june , july or august bikepacking .

Works in winter or autumn by wearing more underneath

like Endura stealth for full on winter waterproofs but that jacket is very warm [ needs to be below zero to use IME.
Bumpy Jonas

Post by Bumpy Jonas »

I have a number of quality waterproof jackets but If I have to ride in heavy rain I use a cape with normally a Buffalo teclite or marmot dri-clime under. Don't get sweaty, don't get wet, don't need over trousers cost £30. I have found many other uses for my cape, bivvy bag, bike cover, groundsheet etc, to justify the weight. And yes it blows about and I look like noddy but it works Cheers peter
RIP

Post by RIP »

BigdummySteve wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:17 pm The outdry didn’t work for me, I found it much like wearing a bin bag.
Yeah but it's blinkin' ideal for tobogganing backwards down snow covered slopes on your back - I mean come on, what more could you want from a jacket :-bd :wink:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster