Impending SP Dynamo death (again)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

johnnystorm

Impending SP Dynamo death (again)

Post by johnnystorm »

Noticed a clunking that wasn't my lock rattling on the rack and it appears my SP Hub has developed what I call the Montana Shakes.

I wonder if I have set some kind of record by having one SP Dynamo last 23,000km and another start making funny noises on day 1 of the TD? :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Impending SP Dynamo death (again)

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As I'm not really a gambling man, I gave up on SP and switched to Shimano. Not as pretty or as light but I've had no problems since I changed and they are generally cheaper too.
May the bridges you burn light your way
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I have my warranty replacement SP hanging up in the garage. It has 1500km on it. I fear it will have suffered the fate your rested hub did! :lol:
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

I’ve also given up on these as my first one failed just out of warranty. My LBS managed to negotiate a reconditioned one for me. I kept this for ‘best’ to preserve its life and it failed after about 200km!! Switched to SON and had no problems in 2 years of pretty regular use. I won’t buy another SP hub unless their longevity improves substantially
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

So.. Judging from this thread (except for probably the weight penalty and/or the cosmetic factor) am I right to say that Shimano dynamo hubs are almost or as good as SON...

*sorry to hear about your SP Johnny :sad:
composite

Post by composite »

I, on the other hand, have been running 2 SP hubs for years now with no problems.

The newer of the 2, a QR one, I rest every summer as I use it on my commuter. It's been totally flawless for the last 4 years, I think this will be its 5th winter incoming. I have to admit though that whenever I put it back on the bike after 6 months not being used, I always have a heart in mouth moment for 30 seconds until the Revo lights up!

I also have the 15mm version, which did see loads of use before I had my break. I probably had one of the first 15mm ones in the country. I ordered it directly from the factory shop in er... Taiwan? when they first came out and you couldn't get in them in Europe at that point. Not used it for a while but it still turns and hasn't totally seized as Stu's did after a rest. Making me think I should at least just run it up and down the street to make sure it still powers owt.

I'm considering getting a 12mm version once I get the new bike I'm looking at although I'm open to other options. Might take a look at the Shimano offering.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:48 pm So.. Judging from this thread (except for probably the weight penalty and/or the cosmetic factor) am I right to say that Shimano dynamo hubs are almost or as good as SON...

*sorry to hear about your SP Johnny :sad:
In terms of service life I believe so, however the son has better output and is a gem of engineering, one advantage is some of the Shimanos have user serviceable bearings I believe.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I'm also in the lucky camp - I've had one since March 2015 and it's pretty much bombproof, if anything the output seems to have improved slightly with age.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

In Reverse wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:24 am I'm also in the lucky camp - I've had one since March 2015 and it's pretty much bombproof, if anything the output seems to have improved slightly with age.
That was always the thing with Ford engines. Got faster and faster as time went on until they blew up. :lol:
Mart

Post by Mart »

Ive got both a SP QR (from very early on) and SON for the last 2 years - no issues so far
SP seems to be luck of the draw
2924 miles per Gallon
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

My (15mm, Exposure-branded) SP is still fine. I bought a Shimano XT when I was building up my new wheelset though.

I've commented before, but the Shimano does seem to produce some light at lower speeds than the SP. I notice this even when just setting up the wheels before a ride. A couple of spins will have the Revo lit whereas with the SP it took quite a lot more revolutions. I've never accurately tested it though.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

johnnystorm wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:00 pm
In Reverse wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:24 am I'm also in the lucky camp - I've had one since March 2015 and it's pretty much bombproof, if anything the output seems to have improved slightly with age.
That was always the thing with Ford engines. Got faster and faster as time went on until they blew up. :lol:
I've got a Mondeo with 170,000 on the clock :???: :lol: