I realise I'm preaching to the converted but ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

I realise I'm preaching to the converted but ...

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

May the bridges you burn light your way
middleagedmadness

Re: I realise I'm preaching to the converted but ...

Post by middleagedmadness »

Think the first sentence sums it up "close to a road" ,not saying we're(or walkers/ climbers) all saints but lack of effort to get there I do believe plays a part in it
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

The last line "you know who you are and should be ashamed". Problem is they won't be ashamed, the people who leave this sort of mess couldn't give a damn.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Like most sensible folk, this is something that troubles me but it's difficult to know how things could be changed. I've said in the past that everyone, be they individual, company or concern that promotes and encourages people outside, has a duty to also promote best practice. It's something that for a long time, I didn't believe was taken seriously in many quarters but I do think the tide is perhaps turning slightly? Perhaps eventually the message will filter down to the bottom feeders or perhaps it won't?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Surely that’s just fly tipping and could be prosecuted under the same legislation?
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Fargoist

Post by Fargoist »

Much much more of a problem than meets the eye, not that i'm condoning it.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

... and now some people are calling for bans and no camp zones.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... E-UTXZmrqo
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I live on the edge of the Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park which has been and still is a hotspot for this type of behaviour for a while now and has led to the introduction of byelaws banning "wild camping" in areas of the NP. Subsequently there has been a slight improvement in our area but I think that the byelaws have just driven the guilty parties further afield in many cases so that this type of behaviour is now becoming more common further away from the big centres of population. I don't know what the answer is but there is a common denominator in the cases that I've seen and that is that the perpetrators tend to use motorised transport (either cars or motor boats/jetskis) to access the areas that they defile.
I do like the idea of labeling this behaviour as dirty camping rather than calling it wild camping which tars many of us with the same shitty brush.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I do like the idea of labeling this behaviour as dirty camping rather than calling it wild camping which tars many of us with the same shitty brush.
That's a very good point. Also good that the mainstream press are able to distinguish between the two.

I'm just reading a book about the 'Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare' and am now thinking we could have a guerilla wing of BB who's mission is to distrupt the activities of 'Dirty Campers' ... limpet mine anyone? :-bd
jameso

Post by jameso »

I see a lot of this in the Chilterns. The link is cars/car parking off-road. Anywhere with car access means increased litter - I guess largely from increased numbers there and a % of people being ____s, but I also think that those who pull up in a car, camp or BBQ within 20 yds and then clear off are less likely to have much appreciation for the surroundings other than being somewhere outside for food and beer etc. "well if they don't provide a bin.." or "the rangers clean it up" or similar perhaps. Your car is a mobile bin, take it home you ____.
If they were more appreciative they'd walk to the better spots nearby, but thankfully they don't so all the crap is in one place, around the car parks with the BP garage carrier bags full and tops-tied (car bins) and the Red Bull/Costa/McDonalds detritus.

:|
Last edited by jameso on Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
jameso

Post by jameso »

distrupt the activities of 'Dirty Campers'
Problem is, you don't know they're dirty until they've gone and left all the crap behind? I suppose some will make the mess as they go but here it's turn up, camp/drink/inhale gas etc>empty car>clear off the same evening or by next morning.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The link is cars/car parking off-road. Anywhere with car access means increased litter
Yep, same is often true of bothies James.
Problem is, you don't know they're dirty until they've gone and left all the crap behind? I suppose some will make the mess as they go but here it's turn up, camp/drink/inhale gas etc>empty car>clear off the same evening or by next morning.
Ah, that's where the intel' / surveillance squad comes in prior to a raid :wink:
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Think you need to get para mart involved in the "death" squad ,Stu :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Was gonna say the same MaM :smile: . Spot 'em with drones then parachute an elite BBB squad on top of them. Lob a few flaming meths stoves into the mob and retire before they know what's hit 'em.

Blimey steady on Reg.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster