Pentasin oil

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

middleagedmadness

Pentasin oil

Post by middleagedmadness »

Can anyone confirm this is the same mineral oil in Shimano brakes (I know the original isn't expensive but when you have free access :wink: ) it is a hydraulic mineral oil used in heavy fork lift brakes and hydraulic power packs for gearboxes ,
ScotRoutes

Re: Pentasin oil

Post by ScotRoutes »

I very much doubt it is identical.

Just stick to Shimano.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

A quick Google has the brand name as Pentosin, which I assume is correct. They do 2 brake fluids, both DOT, Shimano use mineral oil.

DOT fluid is synthetic and has the potential to damage the seals used in mineral systems. Don't use it.
middleagedmadness

Nah it's definitely the mineral we have the texture is way different to the dot ,only noticed it today as we have had to start repairing the fork lifts at work ,thought to myself that looks ,feels and smells very familiar :-bd
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

middleagedmadness wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:00 pm Nah it's definitely the mineral we have the texture is way different to the dot ,only noticed it today as we have had to start repairing the fork lifts at work ,thought to myself that looks ,feels and smells very familiar :-bd
Taste it, that'll be definitive :wink:
middleagedmadness

Came very close ,it's running in a wet brake system similar to motorcycle clutch arrangement (but full of oil)& was stuck so the apprentice decided to press the brake pedal fully and blew the piston and seals straight over me :lol:
Al

Post by Al »

I bought a 1 litre bottle of mineral oil from Halfords years ago which I’ve been using in shimano brakes without problems.
middleagedmadness

Al planning on popping down your way next Tues if you fancy a night out ,was planning tcw but as always plan gone to sh1te and can only one night out
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I use LHM grade mineral oil as per old citroen cars. Its as near as makes no difference to the shimano stuff and a fraction of the cost. I did some googling on this a while ago and the deal seems to be that any hydraulic mineral based oil is fine but people found that heavier grades meant the pads didn't return as quick.
middleagedmadness

This what we have a more viscose version of the old Citroen oil Phil , think I shall borrow a liter from the job :mrgreen: