Size up, or down?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: Size up, or down?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Dave... not sure if it helps but we just got back from Whitby. A bit intimidating (for me) with all them folk around the harbour (but the wife and kids all loved it... maybe I'm just antisocial with non-biker folk).

Anyway, whilst sat outside the CoOp waiting for something I saw a gent with a bushy beard and a bike. Looked closer and noted its a ti Lynskey which got me talking ("nice bike") and during my hellos I noted he's fully bikepackered up with BigBagDude top tube bag and bar roll etc...

Anyway, turned out he wasn't on a round the world tour but had ridden from Australia (with his aussie accent fitting well). Enquired on the BBD bags and if they're worth it and he told me "yess"... etc etc.

Got onto the bike soon after he told me that his round-wolrd is coming soon. He tells me this was his dream bike the Lynsky and it rides superb. But also he's since bought a Bombtrack. I enquired as to whether he'll be taking the Lynsky or Bombtrack for round world and he states "Bombtrack" definitely "which can take 40mm tires"...

Anyway, maybe that could be a consideration or... the Fairlight who also do half sizes!
FLV

Post by FLV »

Escape Goat wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:07 pm
FLV wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:24 pm Loads of great info here, thanks. I'll let you all know on this thread which way I go and how it is!

Onto the next problem - How much bloody money do they want to charge for roadie chainrings!!
Please buy oval absolute black. You'll never look back.
More expensive than a whole chainset tho...

I dont want to swap chainsets but its 180 odd quid for 2 chainrings.

I have an oval on my mtb and cant tell the difference

Theyre on the radar though ta
RobLyon

Post by RobLyon »

Escape Goat wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:54 pm
As far as Giant go, one of the funnest bike's I've ridden in a long time

Image20190605_212441 by Escape Goat, on Flickr

Don't get me wrong i had many a good ride on my defy. I've had a look at giants website and theres lots of overlap but the drop bar toughroads look pretty good. I do like a nice steel frame though. What model is your's?
FLV

Post by FLV »

Thanks again for all the thoughts and comments.

Result, sized up. Popped on a slightly shorter stem and an inline seatpost. It feels a bit like there's a big bike under me but its really nice to ride.

Get a look at all the room in that frame for a bag too :shock:

Almost went frame only, but given that I needed new wheels too, plus cassette, chain, chainrings it very soon made sense to go for a bike. Great service from Evans, lovely looking bike (once i'd removed the plethora of stickers)

May need to swap the bars as the drop is too deep for me but i'll ride it for a while first. Will convert it to tubeless at the weekend too :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Assuming that's all adjusted for you it looks "right". Always a good sign :lol:
FLV

Post by FLV »

Yup rode it like that and happy as set up for now. Ta.