Stuff that works.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Stuff that works.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I thought we had a 'Stuff that works' thread but I can't find it, so I'll put this here and of course, feel free to add things to it.

I've spent some of today removing a set of injectors from an engine. They were all pretty tight but I made an adaptor for the trusty slide hammer and removed 3 without too much trouble. However, the fourth one wasn't for budging, plenty of GT85 down there and enough slide hammering to take a large patch of skin off my hand and leave it nicely bruised but still nowt.

I took a trip out to the petrol station but buy some carb / ecr cleaner to see if that might help but they didn't have any, so i went across the road the see the lads who run the garage workshop. They didn't have any either - but they did give me half a can of something called R579 injector cleaner / rust remover made by a company called FORCH. Anyway, I took it home, gave the offending injector a spray and toddled off to make a brew. Went back, installed slide hammer (not holding out much hope) but bang and out she came, just like that.

Previously, I'd spent about 2 hours trying to free the thing, so if you have any corroded parts that won't budge, it'd be worth trying to track some down.
May the bridges you burn light your way
middleagedmadness

Re: Stuff that works.

Post by middleagedmadness »

Never used that stuff stu ,but my favourite cans of spray are wurth ,it just seems to work better than any of the others especially the brake cleaner :-bd ( never had a issue getting injectors out but injector sleeves on the Volvo d16s were a different matter and I've broke the tool off in the engine many a time :???: )
jay91

Post by jay91 »

plumbing related :oops:
Tru Blu Pipe Thread Sealant from Toolstation
It's expensive but bloody ace stuff used it on all sorts of leaks etc
Trying to ride bikes.
anagallis_arvensis

Post by anagallis_arvensis »

In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

A fitter who services the excavators on site gave me some of this when I had a stuck seatpost that had previously resisted all overtures:

Similar story to you Stu - wasn't expecting much, but turned the frame upside down and chucked a load down the seattube and drizzled a bit around the top, left it about an hour and it just popped right out with a gentle tug.

Annoyingly that same seatpost is now stuck once again in the very same frame and I have no idea where that fitter is. :|
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Found myself drinking increasing amounts of this over the last year or three.

It really does work - a heady mix of alcohol and caffeine enabling you to be an invigorated drunk. :-bd
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’d like to add smooth lube as recommended by our lessed bleeder, cheap as chips given how long it lasts. One decent application took me through Spain on the C2C. Superb stuff.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

In Reverse wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:48 pm A fitter who services the excavators on site gave me some of this when I had a stuck seatpost that had previously resisted all overtures:

Similar story to you Stu - wasn't expecting much, but turned the frame upside down and chucked a load down the seattube and drizzled a bit around the top, left it about an hour and it just popped right out with a gentle tug.

Annoyingly that same seatpost is now stuck once again in the very same frame and I have no idea where that fitter is. :|
Jeezus I've not seen that in the trade for years
slarge

Post by slarge »

I have a lawnmower that is impossible to get going.

I haven't tried this yet (still using Easy Start), but I'm sure this will do the trick:
https://www.nulon.com.au/products/aeros ... ne-starter
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

slarge wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:31 am I have a lawnmower that is impossible to get going.

I haven't tried this yet (still using Easy Start), but I'm sure this will do the trick:
Isnt' this the total antithesis of the thread??

:lol: :lol:
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Carrying on the workshop/diy theme. Recently picked up some of this Frost Rust Remover https://www.frost.co.uk/frost-safe-rust ... xic-acids/ expensive but a reusable non corrosive rust removing miracle. The ticket for those metal based restoration projects

Something which I genuinely can't imagine life without and takes a lot of agricultural type abuse is my Snap On 18v impact wrench. I doubt brand is important just 18v impact guns are absolute a game charger and something I use all the time
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

slarge wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:31 am I have a lawnmower that is impossible to get going.

Tsk... if it needs that stuff, it needs fixing, so fix it! However I do find that 'start ya bastart!' is a useful mantra when persuading recalcitrant internal combustion engines back into life.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Engines worn out - low compression as the bore is worn. Not worth fixing, however it is worth swearing at.... :-bd