Sorting out a multiday bikepacking trip.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mounty

Sorting out a multiday bikepacking trip.

Post by Mounty »

Over the last couple of years I have done a lot of overnighters, riding out from the house to bivi somewhere, then ride back the next day. Lack of time and other commitments have made it very difficult to have more time.

So in September I am going to make the time and sort out a mini bikepacking trip or two, likely to be 2 or 3 overnighters. I have my bags and kit sorted out, my fitness isnt great, only managing 30 to 40 miles on a (daily, single) ride.

Looking at route options for road/gravel and starting out from home (based in Shrewsbury) as I would prefer not to drive out to places unless necessary.

Any helpful advice or pointers for taking the plunge into 2/3 day trips?

Or is it just a case of getting on the bike and getting out and see what happens and where I could end up......
benconnolli

Re: Sorting out a multiday bikepacking trip.

Post by benconnolli »

Mounty wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:12 pm Or is it just a case of getting on the bike and getting out and see what happens and where I could end up......
Essentially yes. If you can do one night then you can do two, then if you can do two you can do three ect.

On longer trips the weather forecast can’t be as reliable so you may want that extra jacket, but then again it’s still September and you only need enough clothes to ride to the closest open pub or cafe should this freak storm hit. I guess that is more of a point, on longer trips you have to be more flexible as you will not be able to control or predict every eventuality. React to how you are feeling that morning, embrace the freedom bikepacking offers you. It’s brill
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

If it's local your after ,down to the mynd for a night ,have a mess about down to bridges up pole bank down number 9 into little stretton up to caer cardoc to wenlock edge drop through shipton to bouldon ,pint in the tally ho and food up brown clee ,night on top ,down 5springs and back to Shrewsbury
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you're in Shrewsbury why not hop on the train to Knighton and do the TCW ... or something similar to the Welsh coast? Easily doable over 3 days at 40 miles a day. Have an ice cream then pop back on the train home.
May the bridges you burn light your way
psling

Post by psling »

One thing I find on multi-day trips, especially if on your own, is the amount of time you've actually got each day for riding. At this time of year, assuming bivvying, you generally get an early start and can then ride until well into the evening - that can be 12 hours plus. Averaging just 5 miles/hour that's 60 miles and unless your route is tough off-road riding you can cover a surprising distance even taking it at a leisurely pace and enjoying cafe and pub stops along the way. I guess what I'm saying is don't worry about your fitness and your current 30-40 mile rides :-bd
Route? From Shrewsbury I'd be out the door and heading West. Maybe head towards the Wayfarer then over to Bala and back past Lake Vyrnwy. There's got to be a good 3-dayer there :cool:

EDIT: OK - ncr81 out of Shrewsbury to Pentre/Melverley then head NW along lanes roughly following Vyrnwy/Tanat/Cynllaith rivers via Llanymynech and Nantmawr to Llansilin. Cross-country to Lanarman Dyffryn Ceriog and the Wayfarers then via lanes through Llandderfel to Bala. From Bala up Cwm Hirnant and over top to Vyrnwy then through Dyfnant Forest to Llangadfen. Cross-country south to Newtown, Montgomery Canal to Welshpool then ncr81 back to Shrewsbury. Mix of lanes, tracks, and cycle paths with lots of feed and bivvy options.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.