Tyre Damage

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

Tyre Damage

Post by sean_iow »

I was cleaning the bike at the weekend and spotted this

What might the cause of it be? It's not something I've ever had happen before. The tyre was only fitted in mid May and apart from the first 120 miles of the HT550 it's done about 1500 miles on the Isle of Wight. Assuming I'd have spotted it before now I think I can rule out damage on Scottish rock so unless I've caught it on something here is it a defect? Damage to the internal structure?

Just wondered what the cause might be as it might have a bearing on if I buy the same tyre again in the future. It's a Michelin Force XC Competition. The orange is the next layer in of the construction and there is a very slight bulge at the defect.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Lazarus

Re: Tyre Damage

Post by Lazarus »

I have had straght line slashes on tyres like that - however i find it hard to believe you would get a slash that would be sufficiently deep and powerful enough, yet still light enough to just damage the outer tyre, rather than slash everything

It possibly it got scratched there and then it happened/delaminated but i would go for tyre issue

Contact the maker and see what they say ?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Lazarus wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:55 am Contact the maker and see what they say ?
Good idea, I've just sent them an email asking for their opinion so I'll see what response I get.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

sean_iow wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:49 pm
Lazarus wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:55 am Contact the maker and see what they say ?
Good idea, I've just sent them an email asking for their opinion so I'll see what response I get.
Really?

Isn't 1,620 (ish) miles a pretty decent distance for a tyre?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:00 pm Isn't 1,620 (ish) miles a pretty decent distance for a tyre?
Is it? I genuinely don't know. The tread is only about 50% worn so I wouldn't expect the sidewall to split first? I'm not looking to get a free trye out of them, I'd just like to know what might have caused it.

The tyres I had on before this were Michelin Force AM Competition Line which are nearly identical but have a deeper tread depth when new. They have done 4300 miles and are now back on the bike as I wouldn't chance the split one. They also had a much harder life having been round the BB300 and the B150. I thought the XC and AM had the same sidewalls but I've also asked Michelin this.

I'm just interested if it's damage and just bad luck or might be a defect or caused by some other means, too low a pressure? If it's just bad luck I'd buy another one but if there is a difference to the AM and the XCs are more fragile I'd probable stick with the AM in future despite the slight penalty in rolling resistance.
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

Hey Sean, A bit late to the party, but just I'd mention something that helped me recently. I had a sidewall gash from a piece of flint on a fairly new tyre. I didn't want to bin the tyre so I decided to sew it up with floss and put a tyre patch over the thread on the inside so that I can keep running tubeless. It's been holding up just fine for a few months since then. Fishing line might actually work better, but I only had dental floss to hand.

Hope this helps someone!

Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Like stated else where, I go about tears/cuts like Lars. If at hand, just a very normal sewing thread will do too :-bd

Don't take it personally Lars (you had just that handy) but it seems odd to me how many bikepackers and even more so, hikers believe in dental floss to sew things up when sewing thread is available and perfectly suitable.

It's got this dangling mug thing about it.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I might sew it up and patch to get some more use out of it, but save it for local rides.

I carry denal floss, as recommended by numerous 'internet experts'. I'd assumed it was stronger than thread or more rot proof? Perhaps it's better if sewing a leg back on? :grin:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I use tubular tyre thread - nice and strong but not sterile so less good for sewing up wounds :mrgreen:
Mpolo

Post by Mpolo »

Sean the only times i have damaged tyres was on the island the flint does it. i sewed glued and patched them
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:27 pm I might sew it up and patch to get some more use out of it, but save it for local rides.

I carry denal floss, as recommended by numerous 'internet experts'. I'd assumed it was stronger than thread or more rot proof? Perhaps it's better if sewing a leg back on? :grin:
Regular floss is about as strong as a weak thread I use for sewing thin fabrics. Like the lightest fabrics available (7D Ripstop Nylon).
Any messed up body part I've encountered - especially during biking - was so messed up, you could possibly not make it worse with a superficial pseudo surgical procedure. You'll going to rinse the wound with water anyways. Is your drinking water sterile?

Especially since you put it in the mugs and take it from there :lol:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:27 pmrot proof?
Nearly forgot to adress that one.

Unless I choose a swelling thread (tents, rucksacks, bikepacks) which is a cotton mantle and polyester core, all I have at home are PE.
Unfortunately it doesn't rot well, or else the micro/macro plastic problem would be significantly smaller.

Yet, why a thread that doesn't rot in the first place..?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Alpinum wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:11 pm Yet, why a thread that doesn't rot in the first place..?
I've no idea :???: so it seems that dental floss as thread was probably started by one person and has been repeated until it's become some mythical item :lol:

As my dental floss is wound on an old machine bobin I'd probably be better off unwinding that and winding on some of the gutterman terra 60 I use for my luggage projects.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I don't bother carrying thread. If required, I simply make my own at the side of the trail from the stalks of nettles ... failing that, I use brambles.
May the bridges you burn light your way
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

Alpinum wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:50 pm Don't take it personally Lars (you had just that handy) but it seems odd to me how many bikepackers and even more so, hikers believe in dental floss to sew things up when sewing thread is available and perfectly suitable.
I've used normal thread, fishing line and dental floss. All have worked fine. Just whatever you can find around the house and a needle will do just fine. Assuming it's on the sidewall, it's not going to wear away. If it's on the middle of the tread, just keep an eye on it for any signs of wear.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Get some flexible super glue and coat the threaded area with it, should be good and hard wearing when set. Similarly for tyre plugs/anchovies. Shoe Goo works as well.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:22 pm I don't bother carrying thread. If required, I simply make my own at the side of the trail from the stalks of nettles ... failing that, I use brambles.
Good one, but...

Brambles? Nettles? Where?
:wink:
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Any good primers on tyre sewing?

I can sew fabric rather badly, but I've never had to do it before with a tyre and think it could be a good skill to learn as I guess it would also work in arms, legs etc?

Do you use a special needle or just a normal one pushed through with a leatherman?
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

Nothing specific, just a medium size sewing needle. Put the thread through to make a long enough loop to complete the job with same excess to make it easier to finish off. Start on the inside of the tyre and do an initial out and back to tuck through the loop so your not relying on the bulk of the knot as an anchor to the fabric and then just carry on from there. I try to tie the finish knot in the same way where possible. Plenty of vids on YouTube for sewing up a tear in any fabric. The principles are the same.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

larsmars wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:20 pm Nothing specific, just a medium size sewing needle. Put the thread through to make a long enough loop to complete the job with same excess to make it easier to finish off. Start on the inside of the tyre and do an initial out and back to tuck through the loop so your not relying on the bulk of the knot as an anchor to the fabric and then just carry on from there. I try to tie the finish knot in the same way where possible. Plenty of vids on YouTube for sewing up a tear in any fabric. The principles are the same.
Sounds straight forward enough, I'll try to find a leather needle if we have one, should go through rubber ok.

Cheers