Road and Off Road light options

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Piemonster

Road and Off Road light options

Post by Piemonster »

Any suggestions for an off road light that can work safely (beam pattern) on road?

Needs a long burn time for good measure.

Or am I better off sticking with my MTB light and switching it off on road and using a separate road biased light? Which would also give a back up option.

Budget is flexible. The off road sections will be too slow (I think) for a dynamo. Although if I have a road focused light I could use that to supplement the dynamo on the slow bits.
Dave Barter

Re: Road and Off Road light options

Post by Dave Barter »

I’d recommend the Exposure Strada. I used this light in the BB200 and was fine. It has the road beam pattern you desire and a huge burn time in lower modes.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

If the off-road bits are slow it's usually because they are a bit "technical", in which case I prefer a helmet mounted light to supplement whatever is on the bars. Just switch on/off as required and/or angle your head down a bit to avoid glaring other road users.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Which output version are you using Dave?
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Colin, I have that Viz 360+ light I can use to boost off road lumens.

My main MTB light just blinds anyone coming the other way.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Piemonster wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:23 am Which output version are you using Dave?
The Strada allows you to flip beam intensity on the fly. I ride the road using low to medium setting which gives 12-24 hours run time
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Sorry. I meant which version of the Strada by maximum output.

There appears to be 4 versions, ranging from 750 to 1500 lumens.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Piemonster wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:34 am Sorry. I meant which version of the Strada by maximum output.

There appears to be 4 versions, ranging from 750 to 1500 lumens.
Mine's a MK6 bought in 2017 1000 lumens IIRC
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I have my mtb batteries Lumenator and as long as its angled correctly it doesn't appear to blind oncoming traffic. I also run it on the medium settings so maybe thats aids in not stressing em...

Also got a couple of nitecore (main one being around 1200 max) and seem fine on the bars...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I just point my light away from the road to the kerb[or cover the top half with my hand] and then use their lights till they pass or not bother as the case may be.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Like Dave I also use a Mk6 Strada (3hr/1000 lumen) for all my riding. I toy with the idea of getting something like a Toro but unless I find one really cheap it's hard to justify. I was using a separate offroad light but it died a while back so starting using my commuting light (Strada) offroad. It comes with a remote so it's also quite easy to switch modes when coming up to a fast section

I usually ride with it in low on the 24 hour mode, low on the 36 hour mode is a bit too dim. I combine it with a joystick/diablo also on low 24 hour mode and change on the mode on my headlight or barlight depending on the conditions.

The only problem with the Strada is the cut off beam does seem weird compared with a bit floody one, but in practice it doesn't limit my slow riding.

They have an offroad StVZO out apparently but I've not seen it nor have I read any reviews on it.

Realistically for an offroad light to be non-dazzling it's either so dim or pointed so far away from your main view that it's not much use. If your riding is mainly offroad then maybe that's not a problem, any real road sections and you'll be dazzling people. Again, depends on when/where/how you ride. I happened to have the Strada already
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

I see Exposure has started making StVZO lights now to be compliant with the German law on bike lights not dazzling other road users.
https://exposurelights.com/products/bike/stvzo-lights
They all seem to be out of stock at the moment though.