Sleeping clothes/ PJ's?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

survivor

Sleeping clothes/ PJ's?

Post by survivor »

Just noticed the old thermal top and bottoms I've been using so far,to sleep in, are a bit weighty... Guess I mainly use them to keep my grubby self away from my sleeping bag and to keep warm?

Not sure what to look for exactly
Rasta

Re: Sleeping clothes/ PJ's?

Post by Rasta »

In winter I use thermal undies. Good for going out for a piddle.
Other times a silk liner and running shorts. I am always conscious of being disturbed during the night, so always like something on.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

I wear a thin fleece top, which is also used for cycling if cool (dual use)
And lightweight footless tights (they live with sleeping bag so don’t get wet)
Try to keep a pair of cycling socks dry also for sleeping /tent use
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

For legs (really in an effort to keep the sleeping bag clean) I have a pair of Montane Featherlight Trail Pants. Usually paired up with some silk boxer shorts.

For body, I have a RAB Aeon tee.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Under armour base layer top and leggings for me. Light, comfy, dry quick if needed
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Chanel No5, industrial strength.
Showing my age, anyone know who said it? (Not the industrial strength bit) Googling it is cheating.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Dare2b synthetic base layer, or if toasty, then bollocko
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

pistonbroke wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:18 am Chanel No5, industrial strength.
Showing my age, anyone know who said it? (Not the industrial strength bit) Googling it is cheating.
Joan Collins?

[edit]Either her or Liz Taylor
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Neither of those, think candles and wind :wink:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Marilyn Monroe
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

HH lifa the basic synthetic ones ,have worked well the last 2yrs ,used mainly to keep quilt / bag clean
RIP

Post by RIP »

Depends on trip length and weather of course, but either same bamboo top/leggings I rode in, or same top but bamboo smalls if leggings likely to be muddy or soaked. Winter may add the fleece I rode in and a down hat. Obviously at home I always wear a long stripey flannelette nightshirt and nightcap and there will be a tall candlestick to get me to bed. Really must try that on a bivvy.
Last edited by RIP on Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Alpkit merino top and boxer shorts - really must get some of the long johns. As Colin notes, it's more to keep the sleeping bag/quilt clean than just providing extra insulation, thus I never use my sleeping clothes out on the trail which means I've always something dry to change into.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Don't tend to bother with much but if I'm in polite company I do sometimes take my On-One hot pants - actually, they're probably worse than walking round without.

For this winter, I have a Lomo drysuit 'undersuit' - think thermal onsie. It's not light, it doesn't pack to the size of an apple but it's very warm and the comedy value is worth the weight penalty. :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:16 am Don't tend to bother with much but if I'm in polite company I do sometimes take my On-One hot pants - actually, they're probably worse than walking round without.

For this winter, I have a Lomo drysuit 'undersuit' - think thermal onsie. It's not light, it doesn't pack to the size of an apple but it's very warm and the comedy value is worth the weight penalty. :-bd
If that's like a really fluffy bear suit they are so warm ,when I was down towers with the boy on a school course back in march we had to wear them ,looked totally ridiculous but was really cosy
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I'm with Scotroutes, for legs it's Montane Featherlights which pack down tiny, are very comfy and also keep midges at bay during non biking activity around camp. Merino top for top layer which is my emergency spare dry layer. I usually have an Alpkit Firn lightweight down jacket for extra warmth when required.
survivor

Post by survivor »

Nice one. A few options to look at their... Cheers..

I'm liking the image of me popping out of the bivy at night, in a long stripey flannelette nightshirt and nightcap, looking for a good spot for a tinkle by candlelight :grin:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Fleece socks, thin long johns (Lowe Alpine) and thin long sleeve top (any generic Power Dry or similar) plus a fleece hat (I use hood free quilt).
Adds up to about 300 g. Is packed away with my quilt - so will not be used for riding.

Very often I have a 182 g down jumper with a hood with me, as I often have an hour or two looking out for animals, sniffing plants etc. before turning in and with a bit of wind, even in high summer, it gets rather cool above 2500 m. I use practically the same setup for UK use, especially northern Scotland.
If it's warm enough to sleep without the down jumper, it make a great pillow.