Cassette with full spider?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

techno

Cassette with full spider?

Post by techno »

I'm sick of my cassette digging into my hope cassette body so I'm trying to find a 10speed HG cassette that's wide range (11-42 or more) but with all the sprockets riding on aluminium spiders. Is such a thing available?

Sunrace do a cassette with the first 6 on spiders but the bottom 4 are separate.
Lazarus

Re: Cassette with full spider?

Post by Lazarus »

did they ever do a cassette like that ?

Pretty sure even my 9 speed XTR was two lots of 3 on alloy blocks then steel small sprockets - not really much space there to fit an alloy spider on the small cogs .

Steel freehubs used to be available for hope hubs, no idea about now, which prevent his but weigh more
techno

Post by techno »

Lazarus wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:15 pm did they ever do a cassette like that ?

Pretty sure even my 9 speed XTR was two lots of 3 on alloy blocks then steel small sprockets - not really much space there to fit an alloy spider on the small cogs .

Steel freehubs used to be available for hope hubs, no idea about now, which prevent his but weigh more
I'm remembering an XTR cassette I had way back that had all but 1 on a spider, but that could have even been 8 spd.....

The steel freehub is my other option, but as I'll probably replacing my cassette I thought a unibody cassette would be a cheaper option. Steel freehub body would be cheaper in the longrun is suppose.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

They all have 3 or 4 separate sproks so the best bet, as advised is to get a stainless steel freehub body. The weight penalty is BA and there is less chance of them cracking open. (In fact they don't at all but the alloy ones do, occasionally, apparently)
techno

Post by techno »

htrider wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:50 pm They all have 3 or 4 separate sproks so the best bet, as advised is to get a stainless steel freehub body. The weight penalty is BA and there is less chance of them cracking open. (In fact they don't at all but the alloy ones do, occasionally, apparently)
Sounds like That's that then.