GPS watch options

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

GPS watch options

Post by ootini »

Are there any watches available that provide something a bit like Spot tracker functionality, or maybe an optional GPS ping, like the WhatsApp location sharing function ?
Thanks
Asposium

Re: GPS watch options

Post by Asposium »

not aware of any watch with in-built satellite communication

there are various options for non-satellite tracking; however, these rely on a cellular connection, either direct from the watch, or from a connected phone.

my fenix 5 will garmin livetrack via a connected phone; however, hammers the battery life of the watch and the phone.

an apple watch (with built-in cellular) will likely track without a connected phone
there is a version of the fenix 5 in the USA with built-in cellular; this will also track directly
both require a cellular connection, and will likely hammer battery life
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

I have a Garmin Vivoactive 3, it has a facility to allow someone to Livetrack you. So someone can follow you in real time on an App.

The issue though is that the battery will need re-charging a few times if you were away for the weekend. Mine has been ok from full charge to home over a 6 hourish ride.

I guess if your ride involved tricky bits and normal bits, you could switch it on for the tricky/lonely bits? Bit of faff though.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

The old age/dementia marketplace have these sorts of devices but I'm not sure the functionality is really designed for bikepacking, eg:-

https://www.techsilver.co.uk/product/gp ... gL0EfD_BwE
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer