YoughChoob

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: YoughChoob

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Why would there be any issue with a video showing a grassy flat area near a lake
There wouldn't. However, saying this is me at 'Snacklefell Tarn' could lead to lots of people all heading to 'Snacklefell Tarn' which until that point was a quiet place without scorch marks on the ground or toilet paper wafting gently in the breeze. In my mind, there's a massive difference between encouraging / inspiring (good) and providing detailed instructions (potentially bad). :wink:

... and those books. As you say, these books and plenty like them are both available and popular but it doesn't mean they're a great idea :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

If a bear sh**s in the woods it's not really a problem. If ten bears sh** in the woods, it starts to become a problem. A hundred bears - you've got a problem!

It's not promotion of outdoor activities that's the problem but promoting use of specific locations. Not so much on here but there are a lot of questions on-line along the lines of: "I'm going to X can you recommend me a bivy/wild camping spot?" My answer is always "no", not because I don't know any or don't want the person asking the question to use them but in answering I've put that info into the public domain and while I might assume, rightly or wrongly, that the questioner is unlikely to cause a problem I've no way of knowing that someone typing in a similar search to Google is going to. That third person might even be the landowner.

Edit: beaten to it by Stu!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15283

It's currently up at the top on the 'Anyone Playing Out?' forum.

So the question I guess is why is it acceptable to put up detailed instructions on here, including a handy streetmap view from Whitestone, but not on YouTube?

There are no checks on your suitability as an Outdoor Guardian when you join this site , and I think the forum can be viewed as a visitor can't it?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

So the question I guess is why is it acceptable to put up detailed instructions on here, including a handy streetmap view from Whitestone, but not on YouTube?
That is actually a very fair point and perhaps something we should address? Maybe we just assume that no one looks on here bar us :wink:
techno

Post by techno »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:52 am That is actually a very fair point and perhaps something we should address? Maybe we just assume that no one looks on here bar us :wink:
I think I found bearbones when googling wild camping and I'm surely not the only one.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Cheddar Man wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:06 am viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15283

tbf to Whitestone the Streetmap link is just to the area "North America", he wasn't detailing a specific spot for camping. If you went to that location you'd find yourself at the bottom of a big peaty hill which has a visitor's centre and car park on the other side of the reservoir so it's hardly a hidden gem.

Similarly the shelter linked is on probably the busiest mtb route in the Peak District (Ladybower Loop) and is passed by several hundred walkers every weekend.

I'm sure it happens but I don't think I'd be that keen on camping locations being shared in threads on here. Keep them in pm's yo.
RIP

Post by RIP »

I just spell it w1ldcamping, which must fool every googler surely...

Anyway, I personally shall continue to encourage/promote getting out there but not individual spots. When I joined that was generally accepted Here and it seemed entirely reasonable to me. Nowt to do with being owners of spots or elitism etc. If people find them off their own bat great, or if a PM helps someone fine, although I too think 'can you tell me a spot near X' should be used sparingly - someone helped me as a newbie which I appreciated but I soon got into the proper spirit. The fun is in the finding..

It's a fairly on/off Rule ( :wink: ) and it's Stu's site so his call I guess :smile: . Or not bother :smile: . Whatever.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've given this some thought this afternoon and done a little searching of the forum and I have to say that it would appear very rare that a specific location is given out publicly. There are instances of 'along a certain track' or 'in the vacinity of' but very little that would pinpoint an exact location.

I don't want to go adding 'rules' - it's just another thing to do that I really don't need. Thankfully common sense seems to prevail roundabouts, so I think we'll just leave things as they are.

Obviously and hopefully someone can stumble across this oasis of common sense via google and any number of search words or phrases. In doing so, I hope people find a community that freely offers inspiration and encouragement, although it may require a level of imagination to fully implement ... long may that continue.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

In Reverse wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:28 pm
Cheddar Man wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:06 am viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15283

tbf to Whitestone the Streetmap link is just to the area "North America", he wasn't detailing a specific spot for camping. If you went to that location you'd find yourself at the bottom of a big peaty hill which has a visitor's centre and car park on the other side of the reservoir so it's hardly a hidden gem.

Similarly the shelter linked is on probably the busiest mtb route in the Peak District (Ladybower Loop) and is passed by several hundred walkers every weekend.

I'm sure it happens but I don't think I'd be that keen on camping locations being shared in threads on here. Keep them in pm's yo.
And delete your Strava accounts....
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Oh gawd. Don't start them on Strava again!
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Dave Barter wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:34 pm
In Reverse wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:28 pm

And delete your Strava accounts....
Leave no digital trace.

Deleting your Strava account went out of fashion in 2017 if I recall correctly.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm starting think this is all getting a bit like fight club. :wink:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:38 pm I'm starting think this is all getting a bit like fight club. :wink:
Maybe we should have a STW subject forum thingy :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Surely if people stumble across this site they will quickly see the true path. That is none of this hipster-esque good times riding in the sun with hipster mates then sharing a craft beer round a camp fire pish. Instead they will learn that slogging along miles of muddy tracks, getting langered in a pub and then cowering under a tarp in the lashing rain for a few hours is in fact the path to righteousness. Or something
RIP

Post by RIP »

Succinctly put Sir! What a great Place this is.

There were about 90 guests earlier. Goodness knows what impression they've taken away :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

This forum does paint a picture at the opposite end of the hobby to the glossy pannier.cc :grin:
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

What about going on one of these FBInstasnap "wild camping" forums/groups and posting up a few suggestions for places in bugridden soggy hell-holes. It might tempt a few mugs to try 'em.

I can't - don't do social media -, but imagine the fun to be had reading the comments after :lol:
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:36 pm

I can't - don't do social media
And yet here you are.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nah this isn't soc med Colin, it's just a pub without the actual building :smile: .

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As a non-drinker, I like to think of it as a church Reg and on FB, Bear Bones is listed as a 'religious organisation' :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Very fair, although I think we're a chapel rather than a church :smile: . Yes I remember the 'religious org' thing - not far off the mark really. Then again that implies belief, and I'm not very good at that. If I was I'd go with paganism what with all the nude dancing in woods at midnight, being so similar to bivvying :-bd .

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Certainly doesn't imply a 'recognised religion' Reg, naked dancing in the woods is no different to owt else in my mind. As for 'belief' then maybe we're the church of self belief :wink:
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

The church of the poisoned mind ? ......or enlightened..which is it :mrgreen:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:52 am
Maybe we just assume that no one looks on here bar us :wink:
Almost touching on the email I sent you, Stuart.
RIP wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:58 am Nah this isn't soc med Colin, it's just a pub without the actual building :smile: .
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Who do we speak to about getting the pumps and stools installed on the Bear Bones forum then?

There's a lot of interesting comments being bashed out on your keyboards here. I did have my Winter Event video up, but as soon as I learnt that Spirit Horse was a working retreat - I removed the video saying what it was and where it was.

I may just leave my videos for the friends and family to watch me " do that crazy stuff" and put the links up on here for all like minded people to view at their disp-leasure.