Washer or washer/dryer

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Washer or washer/dryer

Post by redefined_cycles »

In the market for a new washing machine after the Miele died after only 7 years (never needed to call a technician mind). The missus insists its been a bad buy but I'm pretty certaim it was cos we never followed the standard rule of not filling it over capacity...

Anyway... Now we are in the market for a new washer and I'm contemplating a washer dryer. Partly so I can just throw my (any future purchases as well as current jacket) goretex gear in and dry it without resorting to ironing it to have the nikwax do its thing...

Anyway... whats you lots thoughts... Is washer dryer tehcnology come far enough now rhat it won't be breaking down every other day. Obviously we'll be trying to keep to a certain standard of manufacturer and currently we thinking of Bosch being the goTo...

Just in case anyone wonders... the Miele has been on its way out for over half a year now but cleaning the drain thing at the bottom as well as emptying waste pipe blockages etc has kept it going. I did call 2 non Miele techs who both said... We don't touch Miele. Standarr Miele tech is a massive £80 call out charge so staying away from that!
In Reverse

Re: Washer or washer/dryer

Post by In Reverse »

You going 29er or 650b Shaf?
redefined_cycles

In Reverse wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:31 pm You going 29er or 650b Shaf?
On 650b at the mo but reckon the Transmitter cohld probably manage 29er wheels if I went thinner tyres.

Normally do the washing of my kit by hand but might learn how to use new machine :lol: :-bd
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Separate washer and drier I'd say. I think combo washer/driers tend to be less reliable (although I appreciate that the space saving of a washer/drier can be attractive if you're short of space). We've had great success with Zanussi washers and driers (based on Which recommendations at the time of purchase). We've had two washing machines in 35 years and the drier is over twenty years old and still going strong (all Zanussi). Hth. :wink:
PS, Bosch was the other brand that Which recommended the last time I looked (which was ages ago admittedly).
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Singletrackworld does these sort of questions a whole lot better :cool:
redefined_cycles

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:05 am Singletrackworld does these sort of questions a whole lot better :cool:
:lol: :lol: sorry man... I just got a bit beside myself for a mo. Only realised the error of my ways after Andy mentioned the 650B or 29er :roll: (to myself)...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I have a washer dryer due to space, I have yet to use the dryer aspect as I think its just environmentally a poor choice and i am never in that much of a rush for the clothes I just washed,
I hope you found that reply useful :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think its just environmentally a poor choice
This.

I actually thought this was going to be a post about reproofing jackets or summat. :???:
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Lazarus wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:36 pm I think it's just environmentally a poor choice and i am never in that much of a rush for the clothes I just washed,
In order of preference: Washing line; clothes horse; dryer.

Given how breezy it is round here the outdoor line can be just as quick as the dryer.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Don't forget shaf a washer/dryer is on drums not discs :wink:
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:50 pm
I think its just environmentally a poor choice
This.

I actually thought this was going to be a post about reproofing jackets or summat. :???:
Stu... believe it or not, it was. That was the main reason why considering a dryer in first place... But from the input I'll probably just continue with using iron-on after reproofing and just grt another deidcated washer etc...

:-bd
redefined_cycles

middleagedmadness wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:32 pm Don't forget shaf a washer/dryer is on drums not discs :wink:
Thanks MaM. I'm not as technically advanced/knowledgeable to get that properly :smile: you mean the bearings are... erm... anyway :smile:

Tgat reminds me. Tomorrow comes the day of truth. Gonna give them hub bearings a good bashing at swapping em over. Tell you what: If it was goes well (and it will IA*) I'm gonna go complete my BaMAugust before the week is out. Somewhwre nice as a little treat to myself. Will even take myself som coffee :-bd
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

If going for the belt drive just remember the poor availability in third world countries :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
RIP

Post by RIP »

3rd world etc :lol: . Got to be one of the weirdest threads for a long time. Marvellous!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

It goes back to when drum brakes were still fitted to all trucks and I was asked to interview some one for the workshop after the pleasantries I asked him what experience he had ,said he was a washing machines repair man ,as i explained there's quite a bit difference between washing machines and trucks the only reply I got was " well they've both got drums ain't they" :shock: couldn't argue with him but needless to say he didn't get the job
redefined_cycles

middleagedmadness wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:18 pm It goes back to when drum brakes were still fitted to all trucks and I was asked to interview some one for the workshop after the pleasantries I asked him what experience he had ,said he was a washing machines repair man ,as i explained there's quite a bit difference between washing machines and trucks the only reply I got was " well they've both got drums ain't they" :shock: couldn't argue with him but needless to say he didn't get the job
:lol: ... I remember on the buses. Even the newer (2008 when I left) buses used to come with drum brakes still (or at least drums at one end). I always assumed trucks were the same...

Truck drivers and bus drivers, might I add, had a much better relationship out on the road than even cyclists have with each other. Not sure if thats the reason I still nod and smile/wave at cyclists whilst rid8ng happily past :o the so and so's
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I was always told that Yorkshire was the third world?
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:35 pm I was always told that Yorkshire was the third world?
We do tend to improvise alot and alot of recycling going on :wink: ... I never did get out of 26ers until just a few years ago and... maybe part of the reason was that I might not be able to get 27.5 tyres from the local shops. Plus our local Halfords only has mainly Carreras... :o does that all count!
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Sorry, bit lost here. :|

Wouldn't a jet wash be better? Just avoid the bearings.
redefined_cycles

Rasta wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:44 pm Sorry, bit lost here. :|

Wouldn't a jet wash be better? Just avoid the bearings.
Yeah... that could work... :smile:
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Surely the answer is to dress entirely in bamboo. Then you need never wash anything again :-bd
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Miele and look after it. Or pay the £80 quid and get it fixed.

Samsung a good shout. :-bd
redefined_cycles

:lol: we'll have to have a word with Stu
Charliecres wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:41 pm Surely the answer is to dress entirely in bamboo. Then you need never wash anything again :-bd
redefined_cycles

johnnystorm wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:57 pm Miele and look after it. Or pay the £80 quid and get it fixed.

Samsung a good shout. :-bd
Johnny the Miele has been good and orginally when we bought our first vacuum cleaner by them. At Currys we asked the lady at counter whats her thoughts. She explained that she had a Miele vacuum for 15 years and in the end got fed up that its just not breaking down. So went and got a new one... the suction today on ours is still 80 percent of what it was when new (I think its going on 13 years now)...

Unfortunately the 80 quid is just the call out charge. Both other (one highly reputed) washing machine engineers we contacted who weren't such highly call out charges. As soon as we mentioned Miele the did a u-turn and said they're a pain to work with.

Might have to just go with that suggestion though.

Currently am washing a full load by hand (so it doesnt pile up) and it really is a 'make you a man/grow hairs on your chest' kind of exercise... gonna leave in bath overnight and figure out how to risnse everything properly :smile: