Post by ScotRoutes »

Phew. Thank you for clearing up that mystery :lol:
whitestone

Re: strava. yay or nay?

Post by whitestone »

gairym wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:29 am
ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:18 am
Strava doesn't auto-create segments
It has auto-created for me. I have a KOM where I'm the only person to have ridden the segment. I didn't create the segment.
Me too. That's what I'm saying, it's only me and I've never created a segment (unless there's a setting that I'm unaware of that means I'm doing it automatically???).
According to Strava "athletes create segments" and I've not seen anything to suggest that Strava does anything like auto create a segment. It would be very difficult to do when you think about it. I've only created two segments both of which had been ridden many times before so if Strava did auto create then it would have done it before I did. I've also ridden rides like the Rovaniemi 150 that has a few segments on it but not the obvious climbs and downhills which would be obvious contenders for auto create. It's possible that someone has created a segment but not ridden it.

I'm prepared to be corrected.

If you go to Dashboard->My Segments then click on the "Created Segments" tab what does it show you?
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I did not create this segment.

https://www.strava.com/segments/6185075

It does show in my "Created Segments" list, but Strava did it automatically.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Mine has two pages of 'created segments' but I've never created a single one (intentionally) and so can only assume that somewhere deep in the belly of the beast there's a clickable thingy that at some point has been en-clickened and not creates segments at certain times, under certain circumstances or for certain reasons.

Another example of the sinister and unwanted automation of our everyday lives but I'm not bothered what Strava does or doesn't do so I'm gonna let it slide :-bd
Last edited by gairym on Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

gairym wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:48 am Mine has two pages of 'created segments' but I've never created a single one (intentionally) and so can only assume that somewhere deep in the belly of the beast there's a clickable thingy that at some point has been en-clickened and not creates segments at certain times, under certain circumstances or for certain reasons.
Out of curiosity, are all these segments climbs?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:39 am I did not create this segment.

https://www.strava.com/segments/6185075

It does show in my "Created Segments" list, but Strava did it automatically.
Curious. I can only think it was one of their experimental "lab" features. I've never had that happen to me even when I've been very "off-piste". I created one of my segments in Oct 2012 - https://www.strava.com/segments/2563596, if Strava were auto-creating segments then that would have already been done as it's a popular cycle route.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
gairym

Post by gairym »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:49 am
gairym wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:48 am Mine has two pages of 'created segments' but I've never created a single one (intentionally) and so can only assume that somewhere deep in the belly of the beast there's a clickable thingy that at some point has been en-clickened and not creates segments at certain times, under certain circumstances or for certain reasons.
Out of curiosity, are all these segments climbs?
Yeah, they seem to be.

And all from around 2013/14 and so it must've have been something temporary that happened for a while and now doesn't again???
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

it definitely went through a phase of auto-creating segments. always climbs, i think it was if they reached their cat4 status (lengthxgrade > 8000).

I have a bunch of KoM's on the remoter, boggier parts of dartmoor, mostly named A386 climb as thats the nearest road.
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

or not anymore it seems. they've been auto-deleted...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

jam bo wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:13 pm it definitely went through a phase of auto-creating segments. always climbs, i think it was if they reached their cat4 status (lengthxgrade > 8000).

I have a bunch of KoM's on the remoter, boggier parts of dartmoor, mostly named A386 climb as thats the nearest road.
The one I linked to was a Cat 4 climb and named similarly.
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

Strava is a tool.

I think it is a useful one and I enjoy using it.
ootini

Post by ootini »

I binned Strava about a year ago. Just couldn't be arsed with it, and must admit, it's quite liberating to do so.