Pedal dilemma

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mart

Pedal dilemma

Post by Mart »

OK so Ive been riding SPD's for so long, but my HT adventure prompted me to think about footwear (especially if there is lots of Hike a Bike)

2 options I think
- Stay with SPDs and find another pair that's good for walking in (last pair were Pearl Izumi X-Alp)
would still need to carry spares (cleat/plate/bolt etc), not so easy to replace on a big trip due to availability

- Learn to ride flats (so long Ive forgotten) and just use a trail shoe (e.g. like a Salamon Trail running trainer)
no spares to carry, can replace either pedal or shoe easily should anything happen

Anyone got any views?
2924 miles per Gallon
thenorthwind

Re: Pedal dilemma

Post by thenorthwind »

The reasons you give for flats are some of the mains reasons I have flat pedals on all my bikes. I think I'm in the minority, but it makes sense to me.
Mart

Post by Mart »

thenorthwind wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:45 pm The reasons you give for flats are some of the mains reasons I have flat pedals on all my bikes.
Where doe you get to for choice of shoe? (Summer/winter)
2924 miles per Gallon
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I was all SPD until I got my fatbike. The need to traverse snow/ice on foot and the cooling effect if having SPDs act as a heat sink persuaded me I should adopt flats for that bike.

When it came to bikepacking on other bikes I eventually reached the same decision and now mostly use some Salomon trail boots.

Only my road bike and my #gradventourer now have SPDs (well, Crank Bros Candys actually).

I'd suggest you give it a go.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I ride flat pedals on everything now, including my #gradventourer.

It started off as getting fed up with having to change pedals or shoes when commuting, then with scrabbling for grip on pub floors, or when HAB-ing up muddy slopes.
Having a nice big pedal platform seems to be a good substitute for stiff-soled cycling shoes. I don't find my feet get tired or painful, despite wearing soft-soled shoes. I've ridden over 100 miles in running shoes, and toured through the Alps in walking shoes.

I'm prepared to believe that super-stiff shoes and clipless pedals may allow riders to transfer a few more precious watts through to the road, but I'm no racer...
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Flats on all my trips unless I'm on the commuter

Merrell three season boots in winter, flat MTB shoes at other times. PreviouslyTeva Links, now Adidas Trail Cross

I never had a problem with hike a bike in the flat MTBs shoes apart from in very slippery, slick mud or grass when on an incline. Still remember a horrible, short push on the first summer :roll: solstice ride, hard to use my bike as a crutch to get up the blooming slope
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Mart wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:50 pm
thenorthwind wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:45 pm The reasons you give for flats are some of the mains reasons I have flat pedals on all my bikes.
Where doe you get to for choice of shoe? (Summer/winter)
I've given up trying to keep feet dry in all conditions, so for multi-day rides (and most day rides TBH) I tend to go for (inside to out):
Wool socks - thickness/length dependent on temperature
Sealskinz - not it the summer if it's warm and dry, but I get cold feet really easily, so in reality worn most of the year in the UK
Lighweight hiking/trail running shoes - something comfortable to walk in/grip on hike-a-bike sections. They won't keep the water out but they'll dry fairly quickly if indoors (i.e. overnight in front of a bothy stove)
Overshoes - if v. wet/muddy. Again, they won't keep the water out, but keeping the crap off allows the shoes to dry faster, and you can take them off if you need to go somewhere respectable inside :grin:

Pleased to hear I'm not the only one Landslide. Your first reason is probably my main reason for using flats. I never have to worry about having the right pedal and shoe combination on a bike - just the right footwear for the conditions.
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

My pedal CV fits scotroutes right down to the fat bike.

Get good flat pedals, hope for me. Shoes, I use 510s, not the big sponges, endura mt500 over shoes are excellent in winter once you've managed to get them on.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I'm not a fan of flats for long distances. I've got them on the full suss though and (like a lot of other people I think) I wear Adidas Terrex for them, which have an excellent sole for HaB and steep pushes. Probably not stiff enough for long days riding for me though.

Best SPD shoe I've found for distance has been Shimano's SH-CT80, but I think that's now discontinued and replaced with the AM5. The sole looks to be the same:

I'm also interested in the Specialized Tahoe:

I'll probably be ordering a pair of each to try very soon. Will report back if you're still looking.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

FWIW I prefer plastic pedals for winter use too. I'm currently using Nukeproofs.

I used to use Tahoes. They were fine, though the usual care has to be taken crossing wet boulders etc.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I use SPDs (Look Xtrack Race) and wear Northwave Spider Plus 2 shoes, as much grip walking as any trainers.

I avoid shoes with laces as when my hands are wet and cold I struggle to tie/untie them. The Northwave's have a boa and backup velcro strap. I used them on last years HT550 and had no issues on the HAB.

I also use stainless cleat bolts with a T25 torx head as it's easier to get a good purchase on the bolt with the multi-tool than the normal hex, especially if it's been clogged with dirt. I only carry a spare bolt and not a cleat. I've never had to use the bolt.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger