carbon forks and tyre clearance?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

carbon forks and tyre clearance?

Post by Mike »

So ive just bought some trp forks, they are branded as a cross fork and not gravel. My question is, how much clearance do you think is wise taking into account the amount of sub standard and dirt these will see on the trails? Im running a 42mm tyre and id say there is only 3mm either side. The Alpkit ones i had originally had 6mm possibly more. These cost me double that of the std Alpkit ones and im now thinking i should of kept them? Hmmm, the enve ones have tones of room too but they are another 200 quid more :shock:

Ive read about the higher end forks being layered better etc and more giving or is this a sales trick, i mean £150 against £510 there must be something in it......no?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: carbon forks and tyre clearance?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Any clearance is plenty ..... until it isn't :wink:

As you say, 3mm isn't much when you think about the clag that can get picked up and the flex in the wheel / tyre / forks. Some forks might be layered up differently but I'd not think expensive forks would have more / thicker carbon as that'd make them heavier.
May the bridges you burn light your way
anagallis_arvensis

Post by anagallis_arvensis »

Heli tape the inside of the forks.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

3mm? No way I'd use them.
Mike

Post by Mike »

yeah i think they have to go back no matter how sexy they are :|
Javi

Post by Javi »

Hey Mike, I think those TRP are the same I have on one of the bikes. Got on 15mm thru axle and the biggest tyre fitted so far are Schwalbe G One bite on 38mm and there's not much clearance left. I used them riding in winter in Epping forest singletrack and roots, going over logs, a few drops and still survived. For CX...CX is just grass and that's it, right?
Mike

Post by Mike »

Javi, yeah they have the 15mm axle pal. Got a nice shape to em too. I really like em but i also want to utilise my 650 2" tires i have with the camino and then theres only about 2mm :lol: i know they would work fine but i also know once im off road in the grit n mud they will start to rub loads.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Im running a 42mm tyre and id say there is only 3mm either side.
I shaved a nice patch of paint off and went into the carbon in one winter of riding my Arkose off-road a lot with about 5mm clearance. Only Chilterns clag, not Peak grit. Forks were probably still structurally sound but .. nah, stopped using them.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:40 pm 3mm? No way I'd use them.
Same here. Given you, Mike, might not be riding mostly the same terrain/surface as I do, I still would like to show you what about 10 mm of clearance and chunky tyres (Schwalbe Magic Mary) can do:

That's after about 2000 km.
I had worse wear on another bike I once rode with about 6 mm clearance and Magic Mary. I'm sure tyres make a huge difference and you might get away with a smooth tyre and less clearance, but offroad and 3 mm and carbon - I definately wouldn't do it.
Tape will only mask the problem, but not solve it.
6 mm upwards and you're safe.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I'll sadly agree with others, add in gritty mud and it's probably a bit too close for comfort.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You do have a habit of buying shiny carbon things then realising they won't quite do what you wanted :wink: What was wrong with the Sonder forks anyway or did bling get the better of you?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Carbon is also probably the worst material for abrasion resistance (for a bike frame). I wore through a carbon frame at a 12hour race (only pairs) - it put me right off carbon and small clearances (it was actually the chainring bolts against the frame by the bottom bracket - and all stock components on an XC bike.....).
Mike

Post by Mike »

Expensive carbon gone back for refund and ordered some alpkit ones again..
Something like that stu :lol: