how many?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

how many?

Post by FLV »

Out of sheer curiosity I was wondering how many bikes people own?

Up until recently I owned 5.
Hardtail XC
Fuss Sus Trail
Road
Tour
Another HT XC

Since I had absolutely no room to keep all these and maintaining them all seemed to be costing me money. I often had some stored elsewhere and only rode them sporadically really (I know that dosnt fit with them costing maintenance money but.. go figure)
I’m down (when I’ve finished selling) to 2 bikes

Hardtail MTB
Road

I was just wondering if I was the norm now, or before I started selling everything 

Interestingly (to me) this will also mean I no longer have anything less than 10 speed or anything with smaller wheels than 29’s
Also, I now have more tents than cars... perhaps I should sell some of those too!
Bearbonesnorm

Re: how many?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I had a rather big cull this time last year. I'm now down to five. Dee has three and then there's the hire bikes ... I actually can't remember how many I've sold / split over the last 12 months but it was quite a few. I'd reached the point where I'd force myself to ride a certain bike to justify having it - quite stupid :roll:
May the bridges you burn light your way
FLV

Post by FLV »

:lol:
Down to 5, love it !!

Getting down to just one mtb is worrying, what if it breaks....
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Down to 5 myself plus 4 frames, massive tyre mountain and bits box(es).

If I get my finger out with an Alfine build (not that I have for an embarassingly long time) I might shift one from "frame" to "bike".

Lot of cash tied up in some stuff that I really ought to shift - anyone interested in a small Hemlock frame :lol:
nobby

Post by nobby »

I've recently sold and given away three. So now it's eight but two are definitely going and the Brompton may go also. Which will leave five or six, but I am aiming for four: a general purpose tourer, an off roader, a small wheeled folder as a road only tourer but will go on trains easily, and a town/pootling and bimbling about bike.
All this is subject to changing my mind, of course :)

Any opinions on an On One Inbred as a general purpose tourer?
"What doesn't kill us makes us stranger." - The Joker
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Most owned about seven. Now only two, my cheap Revolution courier for commuting and my Charge Cooker do it all off roader.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

I got as far as 3 at one point, Inbred, full susser and road bike

Now down to just 2 -

853 Inbred (retro 26" wheel model) for mtb, bikepacking, thrashing
Pompino SS cyclocross/road

Unlikely to build anything else as I don't have time to ride 3 bikes...but I would like a fat bike ;)

I do have 2 road frames and an old mtb frame too but they don't count!
gairym

Post by gairym »

Was up to 6 at one point last year but now back down to a more reasonable 3ish:

- Cotic 'Soul' 26er XC HT.
- Cotic 'Solaris' 29er XC HT.
- Planet X 'SL Pro Carbon' road bike (not yet quite finished being built-up).

Plus.....a few frames knocking around the place (a Planet X 'Kaffenback', Surly 'Karate Monkey' and an old 'Inbred' that needs some welding) which, given a few extra bits, could very quickly become more full bikes.

I'm looking to do something 'fat' next which should be fun!
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Had 5 and now down to 3:

Hardtail Giant Xtc 3.5 mtb (singlespeed)
Specialized Allez Road Bike - all year round use
Planet X Nanolight carbon road bike - dry summer miles only!

Am toying with getting a Genesis Fortitude Adventure though...

Having less bikes is definitely easier to maintain.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Three at the moment:

Genesis Core 30 - General trail riding and messing around on.
Inbred 29er SS - Almost finished, for bikepacking duties.
531 Handbuilt Road Bike - An absolutely beautiful bike. (I guess I'm biased though.. ;)) used for longer rides and lightweight touring. And it only cost me £50! :D
gairym

Post by gairym »

Dan_K wrote:Planet X Nanolight carbon road bike - dry summer miles only!
I'm hoping that you'll excuse my ignorance of all things 'roadie' but why do people have a summer and a winter road bike???

I had a 'Kaffenback' set up as my regular road bike and now am on the 'SL Pro Carbon' and I've had people seem taken aback to hear me say that I plan on riding the carbon all year round - I don't get it?

Is it simply keeping something potentially fragile nice and safe or am I missing something else....?

Please help educate this road-ignoramus :?

Cheers, Gairy.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Same reason people singlespeed over winter - to protect the expensive components. I already had the Allez but wanted a carbon bike so it made sense to run the Allez over winter and permanently have 25mm tyres on it.
Rims wear out really easy because of the rim brakes and my Nanolight has SRAM Red components which are more expensive to replace than the Shimano 105 on the Allez.
Before I bought the Nanolight I used the Allez all year round, I didn't always set out to have a winter bike.

Most of my miles are road miles so it makes sense that I have two road bikes :lol:

Generally, the Nanolight needs very little cleaning - just a wipe with some baby wipes now and again!
gairym

Post by gairym »

fair enough - makes sense.

luckily for me all of the components on my road bike are cheap anyway (dodged a bullet there :? ).
Ian

Post by Ian »

Dan_K wrote:Same reason people singlespeed over winter
Singlespeeds are for all year round, not just winter ;)

I think I had four at one point, back in the days where I raced more.

I now have just two:

Singular Pegasus SS
Singular Kite SS

I can run the Pegasus as rigid, front suspension or half-fattie, so it's kind of three bikes :)
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Ian wrote:
Dan_K wrote:Same reason people singlespeed over winter
Singlespeeds are for all year round, not just winter ;)

I think I had four at one point, back in the days where I raced more.

I now have just two:

Singular Pegasus SS
Singular Kite SS

I can run the Pegasus as rigid, front suspension or half-fattie, so it's kind of three bikes :)
Yeah, recent convert to SS mtb. Really like it, like the lack of options.
MM-on-POINT

Post by MM-on-POINT »

4 for me and3 for misses.
Mine are.
Raleigh steel 3 speed from 1947.
Orange c16r from 1995.
Genisis aptitude 2010.
Trek cobia 2011.

Misses bikes are

Pashley princess from 1995.
Specalized myka from 2010.
a decathlon (forget the name) jump bike from 2011.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Seven - that's number of bike, not the brand.

1986 Fat Chance currently s/s but I have all the geary bits for it. (For sale at £300 in anybody interested)
1994 Kona Kilauea. Rigid and on turbo trainer most of the time.
2003 Specialized Epic which I use in Peak or trail centres
2005(?) Solitude s/s. Lovely bike but using it less these days which is a crime
2007 Titus Oseo carbon road bike. Bought late 2009 and in use since 2010. All campag carbon cranks & light wheels.
2012 Forme Plateau - all-rounder on the road. Has mudguards and rack eyes and used for Euro tour in 2012 and run with cheaper kit than summer bike (for gairy!)
2011 Niner EMD frame & forks bought cheapish autumn 2012 to replace damaged Voodoo
HUX

Post by HUX »

5 for me
2007 Yeti 575
Orange P7 SS
Charge Duster SS converted to Alfine 11 for touring on
Pidedream Sirius Ti 3x9 for bikepacking and general mucking about on
Sensa Toscona custom roadie

I wouldn't mind a fatbike aswell if I can find room!
FLV

Post by FLV »

I could never get used to the singlespeed thing. I tried it as I really like the look of the bikes and the non maintainence side but I like gears.

Now that I'm down to 2 bikes, for some reason I want another. Surly Krampus to be specific. I'm sure I'll resist for now
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Surly Krampus to be specific
I do like the look of those but I don't really know why :?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

FLV wrote:I could never get used to the singlespeed thing. I tried it as I really like the look of the bikes and the non maintainence side but I like gears.
Ever tried an Alfine?
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

I got upto 6 at one point. Maintenance was tricky. Down to 3 now. Specialized pitch pro for fun on the downs, an inbred hardtail which goes single speed some times and an on one slot drop out 29er for bikepacking and towing my daughter. Got a three spare frames: Planet X uncle John , a Gary fisher ferrous 29 er and a surly 1x1 that I may get round to moving on.
Kinda miss my fixed gear commuter that I made up from old/ free bits. Sold that when I stopped commuting. Ah, I remember I have a fixed gear 26" wheel that could be matched with the surly frame. Time for a game of bike chess. :)
InspiredRamblings

Post by InspiredRamblings »

nobby wrote: Any opinions on an On One Inbred as a general purpose tourer?
I've got just two...

2012 Canyon Nerve XC 8.0
2011 On-One Inbred

The Canyon replaced a Commencal Meta for general mountain biking duties (the Meta never really fitted me properly) and I'm intending to use it for some bike packing - have a Wildcat frame bag to fit as well as their bar bag sling and a seat pack from Revelate.

The Inbred was bought for an on & off road tour in 2011 from London to Switzerland; now used as a commuter... I used it with four panniers and a bar bag on road routes down through Germany and Holland, and then off road through the Black Forest and along the Swiss Jura Mountain Bike Trail. Then across Switzerland from west to east by road. It was surprisingly good fully loaded off road... much better handling than I'd expected, although those off road routes did involve quite a bit of pushing uphill - definitely going for much lighter from now on.

The downsides of the Inbred for touring are lack of bottle mounts (only one), only one rear mount I think so fitting mudguards, a rear rack, disc brakes and a stand was problematic. Ended up using OMM axle mount racks but still had to space out the mudguard fitting and botch the stand fitting.

For the near future I'll use the Canyon for some lightweight bikepacking but I dream of building up a Surly Troll like Cass Gilbert's for some long term/distance adventures. Or an Ogre. BB7 brakes, Jones H Bars, perhaps a Rohloff... Mmmmmm....
Salsa Horsethief XT (2020)
Jamis Dragonslayer (2016)

http://www.uninspiredramblings.com
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

FLV wrote:Now that I'm down to 2 bikes, for some reason I want another. Surly Krampus to be specific. I'm sure I'll resist for now
Ditto the Krumps but I really think Mrs brothersmith would kill me if another bike turned up in the garage! I also worry that I might look like a child on one, I am short and put on a Krumpus I might just look like need stabilisers :lol:

Currently have 4 complete bikes;
Fargo - which gets an Alfine fitted for winter duties and goes back to gears for summer
Cotic Soda
Cotic Roadrat - commuting/winter road bike
Giant TCR - summer road bike

Thought about selling Fargo and Soda and buying a steel Jones, especially as Soda doesn't get the use it deserves these days. But then I ride em and can't bring myself to do it. Plus the thought of buying a heavier bike for bikepacking duties sort of goes against the grain. Just have to keep saving for the Ti jones I suppose ;)
royAB

Post by royAB »

Pre-Xmas cull managed to get down to;

1 x Marin 'somethingorotherfromwaybackwhen' full suss (rebuilt all new parts 2012, ridden once since!)
2 x Giant Halfways; 1x ss (trusty commuter) 1x geared (bought as spare. Never used)
1 x Ventana full suss tandem (almost never used since Mrs B's back went :-()
1 x black butchers bike with basket & signboard c1930 (for popping to the shops)
1x Chinese Titanium 29"
1 x Singular Swift (frame)