Laff a sentence

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Laff a sentence

Post by redefined_cycles »

I've read the first 2 paragraphs and invase my wee came out, I stopped. If anyone else wants a chuckle then here it is... Probably the latest dose of Stus art-work...

Oh, you might learn a thing or 2 about red and green, short and long dashes aswell. But I didn't get that far yet

:lol: :lol: :lol:

https://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.c ... 1.html?m=1
Pirahna

Re: Laff a sentence

Post by Pirahna »

Nice write up.

The Russian cold war maps of UK are the best, but haven't been updated since the late 90's. Detail level is down to stuff like the width of the roads and height of the buildings, as well as accurate details of military installations and secret industrial sites missing from OS maps.

You missed out Restricted Byways.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Nope
Those that have being downgraded to restricted byways will have had the alternating top / bottom of the crosses removed and yes, you can cycle on them all.
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Good work. :-bd Funnily enough I always have the map (or my GPS) showing north up instead of direction up. Dunno why but I prefer it that way....
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

:-bd excellent work stu.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
redefined_cycles

I might have missed it or I might have totally misunderstood the 1 in 25 maps all these years... But when Stu mentioned green dashed lines, there was no distinction between the long green dashed line or the short green dashed lines. I assume that because its obvious and thus everyone that would bother reading a map should know that its the long dashed lines that are allowed for cyclists and the short only for footpaths... Am I right or have I had it totally wrong all these years and theres more to it!?! :???: sorry for being thick
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:38 pm
Nope
My mistake, sorry.
techno

Post by techno »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:37 pm I might have missed it or I might have totally misunderstood the 1 in 25 maps all these years... But when Stu mentioned green dashed lines, there was no distinction between the long green dashed line or the short green dashed lines. I assume that because its obvious and thus everyone that would bother reading a map should know that its the long dashed lines that are allowed for cyclists and the short only for footpaths... Am I right or have I had it totally wrong all these years and theres more to it!?! :???: sorry for being thick
No, you're right shaf :cool:
https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/docs/l ... fh3qIKfs8U
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sorry Shaf, i don't tend to view the 'footpath' lines as dashes ... ot ar least not when compared to BW dashes. I'll give that a mention in part 2 just to clarify things.
RIP

Post by RIP »

I'll stick this here 'cos it gave me a good smile today, thanks Stu!

"A famous and very familiar quote from FD Roosevelt but what many people don't know is what he went on to say in that speech from 1933 ... "so, think not of axe men or ferocious fox, fat black slugs or cold wet socks. It's rain not acid, you will not die, just liquid sunshine from the sky. Nothing lurks amongst the trees, not vampire, nor werewolf just gentle breeze. You've bought the kit, you have a bike now stop being soft and get outside". Amazing isn't it, that nearly 90 years after that advice was given to the first pioneers of bikepacking, it would still be just as relevant today.""

Get your lovely BBB newsletter 'ere then if can't be arsed to open the email ..... https://mailchi.mp/e08d862345d0/bear-bo ... 24ca6a4a06
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

I saw that yesterday and thought... Surely he did not! Was even planning to google it before conceding that I'll just take Stu' word for it :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

He did, really (*).

(*) Note this comment might be as honest as many politicians..
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Happy to report that with Shaf' and yourself Reg, that brings the confirmed readership up to five ... two people emailed with the correct answer to the music question (one of which now has a lovely prize winging its way) and someone else emailed to say they had in fact being attacked by a ferocious fox AND a slug but they didn't say what colour the slug was.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Eh? Prize? Missed that bit :sad: . I love a nice prize, me. I need to learn to pay attention to the blinkin' small print & now I've been Jilted for the prize. That'll be Climber what won it then! Hah!

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

When I were at school and doing map work in Geography we were told that as a rough approximation every time your route crossed an easting or northing line to add one to your route's distance.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Missed that bit
Yeah, I'd expected you to steam in first Reg.
When I were at school and doing map work in Geography we were told that as a rough approximation every time your route crossed an easting or northing line to add one to your route's distance.
Kinda the same as counting squares really Bob or do you mean add an additional one besides the square?
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

whitestone wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:53 pm When I were at school and doing map work in Geography we were told that as a rough approximation every time your route crossed an easting or northing line to add one to your route's distance.
One what?
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

lune ranger wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:17 pm
whitestone wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:53 pm When I were at school and doing map work in Geography we were told that as a rough approximation every time your route crossed an easting or northing line to add one to your route's distance.
One what?
One league, or fathom or summat like that.

One kilometre :wink:

Stu, it's sort of "number of squares plus one" generally. Obviously fails if the route follows a meandering line that crosses and recrosses a square's boundary.

What's sort of interesting, in a purely nerd sense of course, is just how accurate some of these "back of the hand/envelope/fag packet" approximations can be, especially when you start dealing with bigger numbers. Before working something out accurately we were taught to run through the calculations using the easiest numbers closest to the real ones, rounding up and down alternately, to get an rough idea of the size of the final answer and so you weren't out by a factor of 100 or 1000 :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yep, as I said in the post Bob, once you start getting a route in the 10's of km / miles then the counting is surprisingly accurate. Certainly accurate enough when you're not taking ascent / descent into account.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:03 pm Yep, as I said in the post Bob, once you start getting a route in the 10's of km / miles then the counting is surprisingly accurate. Certainly accurate enough when you're not taking ascent / descent into account.
Then you’re getting into Naismith’s Rule territory... takes me right back to DofE expedition planning :geek:
Last edited by lune ranger on Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

RIP wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:46 pm That'll be Climber what won it then! Hah!
*Nonchalant whistling*
RIP

Post by RIP »

:-bd

PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Make that 6, the tracking for the silk road race is at https://www.silkroadmountainrace.cc/tracking/
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

I think it's a Nicholas Crane thing, but measuring in a straight line and then applying a wiggliness factor works surprisingly well... either for a linear route or simplify the route to a triangle or rectangle. I tend to work in a factor of 1.6, as that means that a km in the straight line = a mile on the ground.
redefined_cycles

After watching a few of the vids today of WRT. Just thought to confirm, am I right in saying that the bothy isn't specifically shown on OS maps as anything special. Ie. It's just figuring it out what could possibly be a bothy cos its a derelict small building in the middle of nowhere (obviously other than using the bothy locator tool online if its still running)...

Not that I'm too keen on using a bothy after reading Stu' post on how to make my shed feel like a bothy :smile: ... Would be good to know any extra secrets of the trade though...