Sleeping mats

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

composite

Sleeping mats

Post by composite »

So in the days before I had my little break from biving, the one piece of kit that I had never really been happy with was my sleeping mat. I tried out a bunch of lightweight but reasonably cheap uninsulated mats, that were not that bad, packed small etc. but ultimately weren't that hard-wearing or warm. I also tried an insulated self inflator that was warmer in the winter but didn't pack down so well.

I'm looking for something that has some insulation for winter but not be total overkill for summer, lightweight, packs small... all the normal moon on a stick things.

What are the goto mats these days? I guess I got £100ish to spend... maybe some more for the right thing. :)
middleagedmadness

Re: Sleeping mats

Post by middleagedmadness »

Got a synmat ul7 (r3.1 I think)off Millet's for about £70 ,insulated and packs small ,also got a downmat 5 lite(r4.1 or there abouts) , dosent pack as small but is wider than the synmat ,down mat was about £50 off Gaynor's
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's either going to be Exped or Neoair. Prices of both seem to have shot skyward recently but my all time favourite the Synmat UL 7 can still be had for about £100. I use the small which is much bigger than a small from other manufacturers. It also comes with a Schnozzle bag ... worth it just for the name really :wink:

https://prepareforadventure.co.uk/produ ... 9036991561
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Blimey that's an impressive sale price reduction... "snap it up while stocks last" :smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
gairym

Post by gairym »

Anyone any idea why the 'LW' version is rated so much higher when it's weight seems only to increase in proportion with its larger dimensions???
gairym

Post by gairym »

gairym wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:40 pm Anyone any idea why the 'LW' version is rated so much higher when it's weight seems only to increase in proportion with its larger dimensions???
Ignore the above. A quick look on the Exped website has informed me that it's exactly the same R rating as the others - as you were.....
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Just looked on Millet's but price gone back up and no schnozzle ,outdoor GB £95 including schnozzle :-bd
composite

Post by composite »

Thanks for suggestions, I went with the Exped SynMat UL 7 Ultralight. :smile:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Neil, I'd probably go for a SynMat HL M or MW, the W standing for wide. My shoulders are wide enough to have dropped elbows on regular width mats. No problem for a side sleeper, but not cool, well actually cool for a back sleeper. Arms get cold, it's an uncomfy position etc.
My sleeping has gone from good to great with the wider mat, yet for most trips I go with tiny mats like the short NeoAir X-Lite or the short Klymit Intertia. I can't quite remember your shoulder width, but it's worth checking. And a good mat really boosts the rating of the quilt/sleeping bag. Our sleeping systems regarding warmth and comfort not only consist of clothing worn for sleeping and the quilt/sleeping bag, but of course to mat too.
This year I've used Exped mats with my quilts in temperatures I usually would've started to be cold and have a not so good night on the NeoAir X-Lite.

Robustness SynMat ≥ Klymit > NeoAir
Warmth SynMat > NeoAir > Klymit
Pack size Klymit < NeoAir < SynMat

The SynMat UL is roughly 100 g heavier than the SynMat HL, because it's shape isn't tapered. Pack size is noticeably bigger too.

Good thing with all mentioned mats is the ease of repair. Unfortunately, in rare cases, it's near impossible to find the puncture, not just outdoors but even at home. Take care when choosing a bivy spot, use polycro or thin, double PU coated ripstop nylon to get many nights out of your mat without punctures.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

composite wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:06 pm Thanks for suggestions, I went with the Exped SynMat UL 7 Ultralight. :smile:
Beat me to it :lol:

Good choice mate :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bit late to the party but I've got the UL, the HL and the Winterlite. These days I just take the WL every time cos it's only 40g heavier (just destroyed my weight weenie cred there) and handles all temps likely to encounter.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster