Here goes Nothing!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Here goes Nothing!

Post by dlovett »

I have to admit to being rather excited about this, rather than being worried. The wheel pro book makes it seem pretty straightforward, fingers crossed.

https://flic.kr/p/2gKnp6C
redefined_cycles

Re: Here goes Nothing!

Post by redefined_cycles »

Yes Duncan. It really is as straightforward as Roger Musson explains. Just remember to yake it easy and not grt into thw dept of frustration. Little turns at a time once you've got the inital torque on using the spoke screwdriver.

I look at it as a Van Gogh (or whichever of the painters just painted fruits and countryside as am not allowed to be painting nude ladies :-bd due to religious ethics) and you rwally will do a much better job than the (potentially) newly graduated apprentice at thw LBS who has a time restraint to keep (and doesn't really appreciate the forces of wheelbuilding anyway and most likely got taught by a shoddy mechanic himself :grin: ).

Just remember... you're not trying to make it perfectly round (laterelly or radially) but in harmony with them 2 roundnesses (I forgot the more eloquent word again.. sorry). Then its just a matter of having the tensions tight and similar to each other on each side (ie. Drive side tensions similar yo each other . and non driveside similar yo each other)...

And... :lol: sorry for making it sound more complex than it is. Dont forgrt that where the joint is (on some rims) you'll always have an ever so slight dip or dop* so just bear that in mind.

*my mate jusy brought his wheel over which was built originally by VeloSmith (reputable builder AFAIK). When he got the wheel he telled me it had a slight wobble. Told him to take it to Sowerby Bros Cycles (they're good and nice people and I met Brian Robinson in there once :-bd ) and if it goes off again then I will take a little look (I usually rebuild it all if i think it was shoddily built in first place). Anyway, 4 months or so later he's told me he got the wobble back. Brought em round yesterday and i popped in jig... A perfectly round set of wheels and somehow he's managed to detect the 0.3mm or less ding/dip/discrepancy at the joint (not all rims do that) :lol: :lol: lucky for him I've not toucher it and sending back to him this aft with a little slap
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

All built just a little adjusting to do.

https://flic.kr/p/2gL4mFs
gairym

Post by gairym »

Good effort! :-bd

It's pretty much the only area of bike maintenance that I've yet to dabble with in any depth (spoke replacements and re-tentioning but no full wheel builds).

Be interested too hear how they hold up...
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Can you see the branding on the hub when you look through the valve hole, if not, start again :grin:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Just remember even tension is better than absolutely round :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

pistonbroke wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:11 am Can you see the branding on the hub when you look through the valve hole, if not, start again :grin:
And which side do you normally HAB on... will you be able to read the branding on the rims correctly?? If not start again again... :lol:
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

pistonbroke wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:11 am Can you see the branding on the hub when you look through the valve hole, if not, start again :grin:
Yep all lined up with the valve hole!
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:08 pm
And which side do you normally HAB on... will you be able to read the branding on the rims correctly?? If not start again again... :lol:
Yes!!! The rim had logos on both sizes, the hub logo is readable on the disc side which is normally my pushing side.

It’s ironic that they say love mud but by the end of the bb200, I might be arguing with them!
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Well the front is pretty much finished. It seems to be pretty true so I have stuck the tyre on with a tube for a gentle ride to see if anything needs adjusting. If it's all good I'll tape the rim up and get the tyre back on without a tube. I ended up buying a Part Tool nipple driver as they really helped to get the shape right before the spoke key came into play.

ImageUntitled by Duncan Lovett, on Flickr