26” rigid forks

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Max Effort

26” rigid forks

Post by Max Effort »

I’m after some recommendations for rigid forks.
Must fit QR 26” wheels, have a 1 1/8” non-tapered steerer tube, be 100mm suspension corrected and be made from either steel or carbon.
Any ideas???
Thanks in advance for the help 🙂👍
Bearbonesnorm

Re: 26” rigid forks

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I always like the round legged carbon forks - think mine were all Carbon Cycles / Exotic. I always hated the steel On-one fork as it was brain shakingly rigid.

https://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&c=43&p=195
May the bridges you burn light your way
jay91

Post by jay91 »

I've got some carbon legged bontrager ones on my inbred.
Had them off a friend so not sure how old /if there still about .
Trying to ride bikes.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ooh I had some Bonty ones too. If you removed the stickers I'm not sure you'd tell them apart from the Exotic's.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Probably not stu. they haven't let me down yet :-bd
Trying to ride bikes.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:34 pm Ooh I had some Bonty ones too. If you removed the stickers I'm not sure you'd tell them apart from the Exotic's.
Me too, aside from the 3x price tag absolutely no difference. Worked a treat on my ECR, enough flex to be comfortable as long as you don’t look down while braking hard. :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Max Effort

Post by Max Effort »

Thanks for the replies.
I was thinking about Exotic forks but I don’t know anyone who’s tried them.
Anyone know what they’re like?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I had Exotic forks on my El Mariachi for year or so and I've had the same forks (but badged by White Bros) on my fatbike for the past 8 years. I'd buy them again in an instant.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I was thinking about Exotic forks but I don’t know anyone who’s tried them.
Anyone know what they’re like?
I always like the round legged carbon forks - think mine were all Carbon Cycles / Exotic.
Max Effort

Post by Max Effort »

BigdummySteve wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:48 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:34 pm Ooh I had some Bonty ones too. If you removed the stickers I'm not sure you'd tell them apart from the Exotic's.
Me too, aside from the 3x price tag absolutely no difference. Worked a treat on my ECR, enough flex to be comfortable as long as you don’t look down while braking hard. :-bd
That sounds a tad unnerving!!! 😳
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

They do 'flutter' under heavy braking but it's nothing to worry about and you don't notice unless you look at them while braking and why would you be doing that ... although you won't be able to help yourself now :wink:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I've got two sets and really like them. Still got a set with a 1" steerer on my 26" commuter.

Not-so-stealth ad: I'm selling my 29er ones, but I ran them on a 26" frame for years. 465mm a-c so they might fit your requirements? Pic/details in the classifieds: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15045
Max Effort

Post by Max Effort »

thenorthwind wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:53 am I've got two sets and really like them. Still got a set with a 1" steerer on my 26" commuter.

Not-so-stealth ad: I'm selling my 29er ones, but I ran them on a 26" frame for years. 465mm a-c so they might fit your requirements? Pic/details in the classifieds: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15045
Very interesting. I think they may work, but I’m after a longer steerer tube, as the Sterling has a long head tube and I have a bad back!
Max Effort

Post by Max Effort »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:14 am They do 'flutter' under heavy braking but it's nothing to worry about and you don't notice unless you look at them while braking and why would you be doing that ... although you won't be able to help yourself now :wink:
Oooo errr!
As long as they don’t judder. That’s pretty annoying!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I had Pace RC-31s. They'd visibly bend and flutter under hard braking.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Best steel forks I ever rode (and when I realised how lovely steel/rigid can be) was some on a retro GT Pantera I bought in around 2009 I would guesstimate.

I still remember the feeling of satisfaction whilst riding down a banking behind my house. Not too far from the Northerly Peak district and near enough Castle Hill of Huddersfield. It brought such a smile to my face that I decided the bike (pretty sure it was steel) was a keeper and decided to refurbish but then got stuck at removing the BB as i hadn't learnt about heat on steel in them days.

Anyway. Sold the frame as it was and ventured slowly into the fully rigid/steel category. Which peaked at what was probably my best bike ever. An Independent Fabrication Steel Deluxe on which I eventually got rid the suspension and got some steel Surly 1x or something. They was proper bone shakers and I had resided (I'm sure theres a better word but I always can't pull em out of the old brain) myself into the thought that riding steel/rigid was just that: a bone shaking affair.

Then eventually I got introduced to carbon. Which I had always previously thought was just a nasty ride cos steel is real right!! Nope, the Canyon road bike was so much comfortable and eventually now I have the Travis Prongs and they're not bone shakers at all. On that note I should mention that in the 2010s I used to suffer serious crippling back pain and my ultimate aim was to find the most comfy mtb machines (alu was off the list for its back breaking feeling, except for the Cannondale F8 and the Boardman Pro triple butted... both at some point rigid... Steel was vaguely exciting and kept back comfy.

But carbon... cor blimey... I never even realised they could tune the carbon to feel so nice and always thought it was just stiffness, stifff and more stiffness they were trying to achieve.

Anyway. Sorry for the sob story but I just saw a pic of my Independent Fab (which Stu did suggest to keep) and was overcome with awe and remembered my best ever forks...

Anyway. You obviously probably won't be able to find the GT Pantera fork probably... but if you can get yourself a Kona PRoject or Project 2 (I think)... Meant to be amazing. Other than that... Carbon (if you find the corrwctly tuned/built one) is real :-bd
redefined_cycles

Max Effort

Post by Max Effort »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:36 pm https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3285719623

These any good to you
Thanks for your in depth reply and your link.
Unfortunately the fork isn’t the right size and it’s also in Poland!
Thanks anyway. Much appreciated 👍
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Surly Troll fork: simple and satisfactory, with V-brake & disc fittings and eyelets for a variety of racks. Acceptable commuter bike comfort with a slick 2" tyre set to "slightly squishy" :ugeek: .

For off-road, at a similar cost I'd be inclined to stick with a simple air fork, as it's just more fun :-bd . Unless you intend to fit-and-forget for the next 20 years... :-)
May you always have tail wind.
Max Effort

Post by Max Effort »

MuddyPete wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:25 am Surly Troll fork: simple and satisfactory, with V-brake & disc fittings and eyelets for a variety of racks. Acceptable commuter bike comfort with a slick 2" tyre set to "slightly squishy" :ugeek: .

For off-road, at a similar cost I'd be inclined to stick with a simple air fork, as it's just more fun :-bd . Unless you intend to fit-and-forget for the next 20 years... :-)
Thanks for the reply.
I have looked for a Troll fork but I can’t seem to find one that’s suspension corrected???
I currently have some Magura Menja air forks that I’ve yet to seriously try out. I’ve never heard of them before I bought the bike. Maybe I’ll get to like them.
The rigid forks would be for a combination of weight saving, low maintenance and reliability.
Max Effort

Post by Max Effort »

Someone has recommended Surly Bridge Club forks. They’re designed around a 27.5” wheel size. Would they be ok for 26ers?
Here’s a link:

https://surlybikes.com/parts/bridge_club_fork
redefined_cycles

Max Effort wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:38 pm
MuddyPete wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:25 am Surly Troll fork: simple and satisfactory, with V-brake & disc fittings and eyelets for a variety of racks. Acceptable commuter bike comfort with a slick 2" tyre set to "slightly squishy" :ugeek: .

Thanks for the reply.
I have looked for a Troll fork but I can’t seem to find one that’s suspension corrected???
I currently have some Magura Menja air forks that I’ve yet to seriously try out. I’ve never heard of them before I bought the bike. Maybe I’ll get to like them.
The rigid forks would be for a combination of weight saving, low maintenance and reliability.
Is it the 130mm or 100mm... the 130mm are vaguely exciting (some of the heads required for servicing can get rounded/seized so just careful in that dept) and probably amongst the best sus I've ever had... Tried the 100mm aswell thinking they'd be as good (probably on another bike or maybe I fotted to someone elses..) but the brake dive on the 100mm is terrible!
redefined_cycles

*was
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Would they be ok for 26ers?
No reason why not. The Surly fork is 420mm A to C and the Exotic is 425mm and there's 1mm difference in offset.

What's the axle to crown length of the fork you have now - assuming it handles okay?
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

This one, 100mm suspension-corrected...

https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/frames-f ... d-fork-p48
May you always have tail wind.