Lightweight merino top recommendation?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BreninBeener

Lightweight merino top recommendation?

Post by BreninBeener »

I have a couple of Polaris merino cycling tops. They are idea for the UK weather for me, and for multiple days in the same top they dont smell.

However when ive been in hotter climes, it has just been far too hot as a garment. So, im looking for a short sleeved lightweight merino cycling top.

What can anyone recommend?

Thanks

Ian
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Lightweight merino top recommendation?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Merino - Bamboo's where it's at these days. :wink:

Lightweight, short sleeves and full anti-bacterial magic so no smell.

https://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/bamboo_shirts/
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

None. I think merino is sub standard as a cycling option.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I agree with Scotroutes and say it’s a bit sub standard for cycling, especially if wearing a bag.

I’d look for synthetic options and put up with the wiff...
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:35 pm Merino - Bamboo's where it's at these days. :wink:

Lightweight, short sleeves and full anti-bacterial magic so no smell.

https://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/bamboo_shirts/
I would agree with Stu... (I have a little confession that the other day in the heat when I overheated I did manage to leave my brevet Ra%pha merino top at home and took a thin summer one instead... that worked. But, erm, I still took my merino wool medium weight (heavy but light) Darn Tough socks and maybe that might have contributed to my faculties almost needing attention)...

Merino is best left for normal UK weather. Sweltering heat and its Bamboo (feels cooler to wear and to the touch and everything)... I have a thin Embers merino base layer - think Wildcat but in clothing - and even wearing it in mild heat was a little bit of a chore when I tried it (although it did work out but still)...
Soz for the little lecture :-bd

BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

Im always happy to hear other people's experiences and input. I may have to go bamboo :-)
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

BreninBeener wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:22 am Im always happy to hear other people's experiences and input. I may have to go bamboo :-)
Im not sure if its just me. But when i wear the BB bamboo T, it feels like its having a cooling effect similar to aloe vera or even more so Tea Tree Oil. Not sure if its the bamboo or the logo :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Im always happy to hear other people's experiences and input. I may have to go bamboo :-)
What really got me onto bamboo was wearing a bamboo top for 8 days on the first TNR. I wore it every day in 30 degrees and slept in it every night. Aside from giving it a quick dunk in a stream, it didn't leave my sweaty body and by the time I arrived back home, it still didn't smell.

I fairly sure that merion wouldn't have coped and I'm certain that any synthetic top would have stunk by day 3. :wink:

May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

(last post deleted, will try again, to answer OP rather than blather on about how useful vests are..)
Can confirm I wasn't aware of any odour problem Stu looks like he may have had in that pic ^ :grin:

Bamboo is good stuff - merino said to be anti-stink but bamboo/rayon actually has antibacterial properties, merino doesn't.
It can be more comfortable to wear also. One other thing to look for is sportwool or a 50-50 merino / polyester mix.

I have a Kalf Terra jersey and although (to my frustration) I'm not a fan of the design layout -and there is a new one due soon- the fabric is excellent. Used one for a week's riding across France last summer in a real mix of wet though to hot, dry weather. It was warm when needed and dries fast when it's wet or hot, far better overall than pure merino and cheaper too. Bamboo seems to work out cheaper still and have similar properties. Don't see many bamboo tops with pockets on the back though? I do find them useful.
gairym

Post by gairym »

I mostly agree about bamboo vs merino but am less convinced it's so one-sided.

I got a couple of Decathlons finest (nice and cheap) merino short-sleeved t-shirts for Tuscany and they were (and continue to be) great.

Totally agree that they're not great with a pack on but on their own I've had no issues with them being too hot/sweaty/stinky and I'm a large, hairy mammal :-bd

Worth a punt for not much outlay imho.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Although it might not be socially appropriate I’ve started to wear whatever works best, in Spain I wore Lycra openly :o my merino tops aren’t a patch on various running stuff I have performance wise,the only benefit is stink reduction, I’m sorry but if I’m on a bike for 12+hours a day I don’t give a dam if I smell bad (although I’ve had to put sandals outside my tent in the past)

I was taken in by the merino myth, for a casual cyclist or touring it may be ideal, but it’s temperature range is small, it holds onto sweat then chills you in marginal conditions.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

I've never bought anything merino due to being on a winter mountaineering course at PyB years ago and always remember the instructors saying they weren't great for active sports due to holding on to sweat and cooling down very quickly ,sure enough everyone who was wearing them was freezing by lunchtime out in the hills
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:51 am
What really got me onto bamboo was wearing a bamboo top for 8 days on the first TNR. I wore it every day in 30 degrees and slept in it every night. Aside from giving it a quick dunk in a stream, it didn't leave my sweaty body and by the time I arrived back home, it still didn't smell.

I fairly sure that merion wouldn't have coped and I'm certain that any synthetic top would have stunk by day 3. :wink:

Stu, I think my farts are at best interesting :YMSICK: others seem to liken them to sarin or VX :o
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
KamelTrek

Post by KamelTrek »

I used the Rab 120 merino in Morocco for eight days of riding. From cold mountain passes to very hot and long desert stretches. I was surprised by its temperature range and was very satisfied with its performance. Washed the sweat away every couple of days or so to remove the salt stains.