MTB high top boots

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

mikejd

MTB high top boots

Post by mikejd »

I'm trying to find some new boots to replace my old Specialized Sawpits which have finally given up the ghost. They stopped making these years ago. I think they were superceded by the Buzzsaw but these too are no longer available. I like boots which come up to the ankle but there don't seem to be many around especially as I don't want to pay £150 - £200. I found a pair of Northwave Gran Canions on ebay and bought then found they size up small so are too tight (for sale in Classifieds). I have come across a few examples (Northwave Enduro Mid, Lake MX100) at a decent price, ie under £100, but not in my size (i'm normally 9.5).

Any suggestions appreciated?
dlovett

Re: MTB high top boots

Post by dlovett »

I have a pair of the lakes, they are very good. You have to pay to get good boots.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

I used to use the Sidi Dominator which were quality.
The 45NRTH boots are pretty special...
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 4

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Got a pair of lake mx180 ,bit higher than you want to pay ,but used through the winter ,still useable but the sole is starting to come off and the boa sticks their warranty is sh@te to say the least sent off the pictures to be told they've been over used (5 times a week mainly for the commute and very little hab over a period of 3 1/2 months ) I personally wouldn't buy lake again if that helps
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Terrex Cross not high enough?
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

The 45NRTH boots are pretty special
Agreed and I also agree that good boots [ assuming we mean waterproof / warm enough for winter] are always a bit spendy. My lakes lasted for ten winters including commutes so not bad in terms of lifespan.
mikejd

Post by mikejd »

I'd really like something that comes up around the ankle like the Buzzsaw or Trail 110. Search results show mostly out of stock or very few sizes available.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Pick from this lot https://www.mbr.co.uk/buyers_guide/best ... ots-354978

I've a pair of the older Northwave boots, they've survived a few winters and many jet washings to clean them.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

FWIW the Gran Canions are great, but smell of cat piss when wet. Not like cat piss, I mean exactly of cat piss. Thankfully, they started to lose this "feature" after a year or so.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Winter boots?

If that’s the case, Bontrager On my way! Boots are fab, used them down to silly temps and they’ve been great. Even better, you can wear them for 30 days and if you don’t get on with them, you get you £££ back :-bd
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

My boots, no matter how they smell new, start smelling like cat piss once I've worn them a bit.

Well, to be fair and completely honest, this only applies for the Specialized Defroster Trail.
Besides the smell (getting them wet and not being able to dry them properly a couple of times) they are proper rubbish.

Heel cup at the top is hard and very uncomfy, even painful when walking, let water in fairly easy, sweaty, the cover likes to come undone (especially when pushing the bike in snow) and the sole has grip like wood. Walking and riding unclipped is treacherous.

I can absolutely NOT recommend that boot.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

voodoo_simon wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:03 pm Winter boots?

If that’s the case, Bontrager On my way! Boots are fab, used them down to silly temps and they’ve been great. Even better, you can wear them for 30 days and if you don’t get on with them, you get you £££ back :-bd
Id
Is that the OMW you're talking about?

I got them for my fatbiking trips (the Defroster is my boot for not so cold temps and most winter commuting) and think they're really good.
Very light for how they perform in the cold, extremely good moisture management, grippy sole and what I really like for bikepacking is the removable inner boot. I keep the inner boot on when sleeping - toasty :-bd

Yet, for me, too warm at anything above about -5 °C. I use them with regular socks (CEP) down to -25 °C in comfort, as long as I'm not solely riding for hours. When my feet get cold, mostly in the morning after some static pedalling, I just get off the bike and push it to get circulation running. Usually only takes 10 or 15 minutes. If you tend to use the boot in the cold, make sure to go with half a size or so larger. Pressure will hinder circulation and ask for cold spots or even damage tissue (been there and still suffer from it).

After the first few rides the OMW showed some wear and I thought it might not last and whilst I still believe there are longer lasting boots out there, it's still going strong after all.
Expensive, but for cold weather use wel worth its money.
I once wrote a review on fatbiking.eu. I just checked and saw the page is down unfortunately, but should have the text and photos somewhere and can upload it if there's interest.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

That’s the badger! Auto correct changed OMW to on my way :lol:

They’ve been brilliant, I can wear them from about zero downwards but I do feel the cold! Have got two pairs. Really like the way the inner comes out, so can separate them to dry or walk through the house with.

Also made from the same fabric as the Columbia jacket is made from and everyone raves about on this forum. Yes, I’ve had wet feet before and then, who hasn’t from footwear (the rain came through the foot hole). Also work well with walking gaiters
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Another OMW fan here. If I could change one thing it would be to have a more robust sole on the inner boot so that I wouldn't need to put the outers on when I get up for a piss.