I need help with my headset ta

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

I need help with my headset ta

Post by Mike »

Right so im putting a new headset in the camino but hopes mix n match confused me... can u help...
The frame is integrated so the bottom is easy i just need the race and bearing but its the top thats throwing me. Again i just need bearing sat in frame and the seal and top cap but i cant find the one i need.. they all look like they come with a press in bearing housing? Am i missing something here?

Oh it a 42/52 45 × 45mm
pistonbroke

Re: I need help with my headset ta

Post by pistonbroke »

Have you asked Neil Sutton at Sonder? Be quick though as he goes on 2 weeks holiday on Friday. He'll give you sound advice and not just sell you one of theirs (unless that's the only option, which I doubt) I built the prototype Sonder range bikes but the Camino has been revamped since so I'm not up to date.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Can't help with the size mate but if you need a press I can bring one over in the morning
Mike

Post by Mike »

The hope top bearing is 41.1 the frame is 42 hmm will speak to hope tomorrow and alpkit
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Mike.. I had similar things going on with my Sonder Carbon so my research brought me to...

and in turn for your Q, you need IS42 AND IS52 top and bottom bearings. The exact dimensions are 41.8mm and 51.8mm respectively...

Do you have a link to the hope headset chooser you have been looking at??
Once you popped the crown race then the oversized bearing in the bottom headset... once you pop the headset bearing in the top - which will just sit into frame- remember you then need the rest of the headset assembly as per normal headsets to sit on top of the loose bearing and build it up around the steerer (if that makes any sense at all and you dont feel like I'm trying to teach how to suck eggs :shock: :lol:
redefined_cycles

*i chose the exact bearing dimensions as per this page under 'at a glance'and 'exact spec'

https://www.alpkit.com/products/love-mu ... r#features
Mike

Post by Mike »

:-bd all the hope ones from what i can see are 41.1mm? So may have to use hope bottom and another for the top.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Hi mike have you looked at the woolftooth headsets, seriously good quality and they have a tapered collar available in different lengths so you can do away with spacers, got one on the Fargo, it’s quality and you buy the upper and lower separately. Recommend :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Mike

Post by Mike »

Oh ill take a look. Who sells em
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I brought mine directly from woolftooth, arrived pretty quickly.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/col ... n-headsets
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Mike didnt Niel say Alpkit were offering Cane Creek Hellbender headsets for £40 or something daft with new Sonder frames. Think it has the 110 bearing in it (110 years guarantee). As its an integrated headset on the Camino so I'd say thats a better headset and price than the equivalent Hope.
redefined_cycles

Mike wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:10 pm :-bd all the hope ones from what i can see are 41.1mm? So may have to use hope bottom and another for the top.
Difference of 0.7mm. That is a fair old whack and kbviously a slightly different standard. You do right by getting the top bearing from elsewhere Mike...
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I was going to recommend a Lifeline headset from wiggle but they don't seem to sell them. I assume they are amalgamating their product line with CRC as these look very similar... :wink:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/brand-x-headset-44iets-sealed/
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Mike, are you installing a headset in a brand new frame or do you have the previous one available? If you have the old one, it should be possible to read the specs off it. The diameter is not the only consideration, the angle of the bevel on the outer race is very critical to performance. It's a bit of a minefield as many things are in the world of cycling "standards." We used to have a chart made by Cane Creek on the wall of the workshop, it showed at least 200 permutations of bearing for headsets alone!
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I assume you've had a good peruse of this:

https://www.hopetech.com/_repository/1/ ... 011Web.pdf

Hope themselves usually very helpful otherwise I'd just accept MTB/bike "standards" are anything but and ring Alpkit so they can tell you which one fits / to buy (which always makes me feel slightly less of a "man" :???:).
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Mike, this is a handy guide to headset 'standards'

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-he ... ion-system

Looking at the frame spec it's an IS42 headset. As far as I can see Hope only make an IS41 so they don't do an upper headset to fit the frame.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

If you're dead set on Hope that's fair enough but I ended up going for these on my Camino.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153425548083
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nuk ... prod124571
I looked at Hope and Cane Creek as well but due to availability issues with them opted for the ones above. They fitted fine and seem decent enough. I probably would have just ordered one from Alpkit but they were out of stock at the time. My bike's a Camino Al with the alloy steerer carbon fork.
PS, it was the ZS44-28.6 - T2 top cup from CRC.