Wtb riddlers

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

middleagedmadness

Wtb riddlers

Post by middleagedmadness »

Was coming home last night and got a soaking of Stan's ,waited let it seal and checked the tyre ,I found that the center of the tyre was totally bald ,it's only done about 750 mile and got cords starting to lift out of the compound ,,how many miles do you normally get out of a gravel tyre? ,as it's the commuter it could be quite expensive changing a tyre every 2 months .used mainly on that gritty shale they repair tow paths with and maybe 3/4of a mile on tarmac is that makes a difference
PaulB2

Re: Wtb riddlers

Post by PaulB2 »

I can't really answer your question since I only did 30 miles on mine before I switched them out for resolutes but I've got a spare set of 37s (they're the comp, non-tubeless, non-foldable version) in the garage if you want them.
middleagedmadness

Cheers for the offer Paul but I've got a couple of those from when I swapped to tubeless ,how the resolutes holding up
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I might be interested if you want to move them on Paul.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I love the idea of really lovely light tyres, maybe with a slight gravel bias, on my commuter

In practice my marathon plus tyres are great for commuting. Solidly reliable, last for thousands of miles and amazing puncture protection. Very heavy though, but they cope with light off road just fine. Canal paths would be no problem for them

Not what you're after though I know. But for me, my commute needs to be reliable in all conditions
middleagedmadness

Same here Ben ,had them on my old boardman CX and not a issue in 2yrs ,just put these on to give it a try , I may put a set on the old wheels and just swap over if I'm going tow path bashing on my days off, the only problem with that is the longitude is only being pulled out once or twice a month :lol:
Had the stock trail blazers on the longitude and it done 4500 m before I had to replace the rear ,just a bit shocked at how little you get out of a set of tyres
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

middleagedmadness wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:55 pm Same here Ben ,had them on my old boardman CX and not a issue in 2yrs ,just put these on to give it a try , I may put a set on the old wheels and just swap over if I'm going tow path bashing on my days off, the only problem with that is the longitude is only being pulled out once or twice a month :lol:
Had the stock trail blazers on the longitude and it done 4500 m before I had to replace the rear ,just a bit shocked at how little you get out of a set of tyres
I don't do anything like your mileage but I've done just over 300 mixed terrain miles on them, about 50/50 on road and off-road and they're showing no signs of wear so far. They're been great for grip around the tamer parts of the chase and the roads / towpaths to get there and there's not a huge amount of drag on the roads. The grippiness does make me wonder about how long-term durable they will be though.
benp1 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:46 pm In practice my marathon plus tyres are great for commuting. Solidly reliable, last for thousands of miles and amazing puncture protection. Very heavy though, but they cope with light off road just fine. Canal paths would be no problem for them
I've got marathon plus on my commuter too and they've lasted 4 years of 1-2 mile short commutes so far without a single issue. Nowhere near as grippy off-road and not quite as comfy as the resolutes but bomb proof.
Taylor wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:30 pm I might be interested if you want to move them on Paul.
They're non-foldable so they'll be a pain in the arse to post which is why I offered them to Stu since it's not a huge trek for either of us to meet in the middle. They're just taking up space in my overflowing garage otherwise though.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Still interested if we can find way of getting them to me.
middleagedmadness

Taylor wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:36 pm Still interested if we can find way of getting them to me.
If You can get anywhere nears wolves Taylor ,I'll get them off Paul and meet up with you
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Came past on Monday, unfortunately not likely for a couple of months now unless you bump into burty.
middleagedmadness

I can put them on a trunk upto one of our bakeries in Newcastle's under Lyme if burty can collect from there
Edit that mate if I'm picking them up from Paul burty is only up the road from there so I may aswell drop them up to him :-bd
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

I am testing a pair of riddlers on my gravel bike given to me by stu.

I have likely ridden 1000km on them on a mixture or terrain from road through to easy’ish off-road. Haven’t yet encountered mud.
Plenty of tread remaining on the rear tyre, front looks not far off new

On the whole have been remarkably impressed with the riddler; wear has been very good, yes there is some road buzz, but the tyres don’t feel too draggy.
They are fast on loose and loose over dry.

I was somewhat skeptical of them at the start, now a convert and will certainly buy a pair to use at bb200 and New Zealand.
middleagedmadness

Found them great in use Dave just a bit disappointed with the life span ,but I am about 15kg heavier than you :lol: ,maybe I just expect a bit too much :???:
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

middleagedmadness wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:31 pm I can put them on a trunk upto one of our bakeries in Newcastle's under Lyme if burty can collect from there
Edit that mate if I'm picking them up from Paul burty is only up the road from there so I may aswell drop them up to him :-bd
brilliant, I'll collect them off him at the wedding.
middleagedmadness

Taylor wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:24 pm
middleagedmadness wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:31 pm I can put them on a trunk upto one of our bakeries in Newcastle's under Lyme if burty can collect from there
When's that mate ? So I can get them up to him ,give Paul a shout and let him know I'll get them off him,( will have to be after Next Wednesday as on shift till then)
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

middleagedmadness wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:27 pm
Taylor wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:24 pm
When's that mate ? So I can get them up to him ,give Paul a shout and let him know I'll get them off him,( will have to be after Next Wednesday as on shift till then)
Not until the beginning of sept.

Paul's going to see if he can get them packaged up first before I need you to shuttle them to Burty.
middleagedmadness

Grand ,no bother
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

I tried a Riddler 37 on the rear and found it wore pretty fast on 50:50 type terrain. Went back to a Nano which I find wears better and I just prefer. In fact I've never worn a Nano right down as I have ripped the sidewall first (3 tyres gone this way) when they were getting worn...actually that is not such a glowing review for Nanos after all is it :roll:
middleagedmadness

Was just about to order a nano ,think I can live with the sidewall issue as black country tow paths don't have much in the way of large rocks,apart from the odd house brick and whatever the pavies have pulled out the cut :lol:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

No, they just have thorns, lots and lots of thorns