TD Kit Grid

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richpips

TD Kit Grid

Post by Richpips »

Shoes, Helmet, anything else we've forgotten?

https://minipips.blogspot.com/2019/07/t ... -list.html
whitestone

Re: TD Kit Grid

Post by whitestone »

Couldn't see them but Anchovies and superglue for larger tyre repairs.

Good luck!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Thanks Bob, yep got tubeless repair stuff.
trob6

Post by trob6 »

Hello sorry if this comes up twice but i hit sumbit and it disapeared?
Anyway kit looks great but you will need more water capacity as you get to Wyoming and new mexico , I rode it this year and 2 liters or so is enough to start with as there is plenty to filter but as it got drier i carried between 4 and 6 litres.
I made a load of waypoints as well which I will gladly send to you if you want them.
good luck it is truly an amazing ride.
Tim.
What's the worst than can happen?
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the info. The waypoints would be useful. I'll DM my email.

Cheers Rich
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Yep used 4-5 litres for wyoming basin and new mexico here. A lot depends if weather forecast is a headwind.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Might sound a little nitpicky and I suppose there is 2 of you so less need... But I always add 3 long reusable zipties. When stopping at places where I might have to leave the bike further than arms length, I just interconnect the ties and fasten the bike to summat. Just enough that if someone did try and do a TWOC (taken without consent) them few moments of them figuring why its not coming away with them, should be all you need...
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

I used mostly campsites / wild camping. Really liked the ones up in the mountains but it does get cold at night. Colorado was getting down to -10 c. But easy to buy extra layers en route. Steamboat is outdoor shop central.

No stove? I took a Kraku and 650ml ti pot. Wasnt intending to use it, but used it a lot in the end.

Biggest issue for you Canada to Yellowstone will be forest fires. These websites detail what is going on

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov for incidents. Looks re-assuringly empty at the moment. Maybe due to all the late snow this year but by mid August might be a lot more busy
Screenshot_20190723-235300_Chrome.jpg
(64.17 KiB) Downloaded 2335 times
https://www.adventurecycling.org/routes ... econdition for re-route info

Have a fantastic time Rich (and Tom). Message me if need anything. Cheers Andy
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Oh and the mosquitos were pretty fierce in Canada but none really after that (different to what the racers report earlier in year) - no repellent?

No chain lube or a tiny tube grease?

Thin trip of Tyvek to protect sleepmat in NM - didnt take but wish I had - 3 sleeping mat punctures

Washing up brush with handle removed to wash off the peanut butter mud and brush dust off chain before relube
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I needed 4.5 litres capacity in places for water. I also totally underestimated space from food as some long sections without resupply. Have you got ability to carry additional when needed.

I'd pack a few Volie straps each to fix any luggage problems. As wriggles said you are likely to need a mud scraping solution, not every dirt road has twigs nearby. Mozzies are a massive problem in places, pack repellant and I used my head net a lot. Finally can you filter or purify water?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

I just had 2 x 650ml bottles on my bike for most of the ride. Going through the basin and some bits of NM I added one or two 1.5 l plastic bottles that I stuffed into the front roll (worked fairly well although they did bounce out a couple of times).
I used purification tablets once coming into Pinedale when there seemed to be lots of livestock around the stream I was taking water from. Apart from that I managed to get good water from either a tap or very clean looking streams.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I was made aware of much higher incidents of giardia in the US/Canada due to beavers so didn’t risk not using chlorine. I needed more water on the hot days with hellish headwind. You end up working twice as hard for half the distance. On the last day I did 3 litres over 50 miles from Silver City. Thank f**k the gift shop was open.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Spare gear cable? Not something I'd normally take but it doesn't take up much room.

Spare bolts for various bits - guess whose I-spec gear shifter came off on the JennRide? Guess whose tin of spare bolts was with his wife?

Spare tubeless valve and valve core.

Duct tape. (but it looks like you could have some wrapped on your pump)

I'd add something like the Alpkit Atom for spare capacity should you need it.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Seeing the Klymit I just had an idea :-bd

Have you cut off the edges of the head piece or tied them together on the underside? Or done nothing and it just looks a bit odd?

Rainpants?

What's the "big" brush for? Bike maintenance?

No GPS and Inreach for Tom?
Another GPS for him would mean ease of battery managemend/charging and not needing to rely on smart phones when the one GPS unit dies.

Is the main motivation for the Inreach tracking or sat-comm? Or differently put, how off-grid (regular phone network) is the TD? Are there a couple of days a row with absolutely no signal?

I'd be taking more spares for the bike, like a cable and some bolts, but they may be packed away, hidden from the viewer of the photos(?)

Edit: Bob beat me to it (spares and bolts...) also, I just spotted Tom's Foretrex. Funny... I too still have one as a back up for very specific trips
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Dave Barter wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:26 am ....a mud scraping solution, not every dirt road has twigs nearby
I use my toilet trowel for this, works a treat.

Marigolds? Can be worn to keep oil of the hands if sorting a drive-train issue or to keep your hands warm under your 'waterproof' gloves during prolonged heavy rain when gloves become soaked through, which reminds me I need to put a new pair in with my kit.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Oh and the other thing - you are going for 6 weeks and not racing so similar to me - i had some cheap light flip flops and lightweight shorts (r@pha touring) - made a big difference in the evenings to be able to get completely out of the bike wear. But then I only took one padded pair which washed every other day so my touring shorts wear also my spare on bike shorts as well if needed.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Thanks for the suggestions all. I need to do some shopping this afternoon. :-bd

Gian, both the Klymits have been trimmed down, then ironed to reseal the edges.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Richpips wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:15 am Thanks for the suggestions all. I need to do some shopping this afternoon. :-bd

Gian, both the Klymits have been trimmed down, then ironed to reseal the edges.
:-bd
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Nothing to add but good luck to you both and enjoy it :-bd
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Cheers, went and did some shopping at Rich and Shonas today.

Tom has a live dot now on

trackleaders.com/tourdivide19f.php

Setting off 9am on Saturday if all goes to plan.

25 days as a goal.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Stuff I took that I can't see on your list:

Bear hang. I took a 10m length of guy line.

Whistle. I had one on string round my neck. Used it a few times to let animals know I was there.

A copy of Cycling the Great Divide by Micheal McCoy on the Kindle app on my phone, great for planning daily distances and water resources (the section about water after Pie Town is rubbish, everything else was good).

A method of carrying Bear Spray, I strapped mine on the top tube and could access is very quickly and easily, these are fairly large cans.

Anything you've forgotten you can buy in Banff or Fernie.
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

For maps are you relying purely on electronic devices?

I went full technophobe and carried the full set of ACA maps (partly due to having had 2 GPS fails in 2 HT550 rides). Didn't really need them, but did consult them a few times in situations where the GPS trace (1000 point version) wasn't very clear. I also read a lot of the background stuff that is printed on them that tells you about the history and nature in various places along the route. This added quite a bit of enjoyment to my ride!

All the best, hope you both enjoy the ride!
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Firstly: freaking @wesome you two are doing this together. I'm close to my son, but the relationship between you guys is off the scale.

Secondly: Kit wise can't fault you but I'd have gone for a two-folk shelter and shared the bits n pieces.

Thirdly: Cut your toenails. JUST DO IT
I'm just going outside ...
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Compeed bluster plasters
Amazing at stopping saddle sores

I take a spondex thick moppet (2 pack from Tesco)
Good for having a wash
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

NewRetroTom wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:12 pm For maps are you relying purely on electronic devices?

I went full technophobe and carried the full set of ACA maps (partly due to having had 2 GPS fails in 2 HT550 rides). Didn't really need them, but did consult them a few times in situations where the GPS trace (1000 point version) wasn't very clear. I also read a lot of the background stuff that is printed on them that tells you about the history and nature in various places along the route. This added quite a bit of enjoyment to my ride!

All the best, hope you both enjoy the ride!
The ACA maps are a thing of genius given size and distance covered. Crucial to use latest copy and check the addenda as well for updates