Trek 1120 Forks

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

freddy_tanner

Trek 1120 Forks

Post by freddy_tanner »

So I've just acquired a nice titanium frame. Well, its not actually in my possession yet but at some point the postie will pop it through the letter box. Obviously I'm getting pretty excited about putting it together and I am wanting a pretty carbon fork for it.

I've read all the forum topics you can shake a stick at and the obvious choice is a prong. I go onto the Travers site only to find that the version with cargo cage mounts is out of stock. Doh! Not actually a deal breaker, but I like the idea of anything cages. Never used them in practice, but the idea seems sound.

So I'm browsing other options, many of which seem crazy expensive, and as the frame I'm getting, a sonder broken road, has a pretty tall head tube I'm doubting finding a second hand one with a long enough steerer. (The frame was second hand, I'm a cheapskate. It comes with being from Aberdeenshire).

After exhausting options I find this: https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/frames-f ... msQAvD_BwE

(Excuse the crazy long link)

It looks pretty nice. I kind of like the look of the little rack thing trek make for it. Its gonna be a bit heavier than the prong as it has an alloy steerer. It has cargo cage mounts. There's really not much info on it anywhere.

Anyone have one? Or have any opinions? Will I forever be disappointed I didn't get a prong?? Sorry if this has already been talked about in one of the numerous rigid carbon fork threads!
ScotRoutes

Re: Trek 1120 Forks

Post by ScotRoutes »

Do you really need something with fork leg mounts? Most folk manage without. Take that off your wish list and you'll find loads of forks for your BR.
freddy_tanner

Post by freddy_tanner »

To be fair I have managed the last 4 years of my bikepacking life, and a good few years touring, without fork leg mounts.

I do however hate to think that one day I will suddenly have an urge to use them and they aren't on my forks legs.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

If you start thinking that then just remember.
T
L
S
freddy_tanner

Post by freddy_tanner »

You're very right scot routes.

Often the TLS mentality doesn't get covered in the bike build stage though. Is there an acronym for over think every possible option?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Remember that a lot of these "solutions" are really aimed at those going into remote areas where you need room to carry provisions especially water. The western desert areas of the US for example. Think of them as expedition rather than touring kit.

Having said that there's no reason not to get a fork (especially carbon) with the mountings. Neither of my Prongs have them and on the fat bike in particular it's a bit limiting especially when I've been in Lapland and struggling to get all my bulky winter kit in to the classic three bags.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Can’t help with the forks but I do like the idea of the 1120 cage thingy, think it’s a neat idea
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I had fork mounts on the legs of the fork on my El Mariachi, never used them

Also have them on the Travers Prongs on my Solaris and also haven't used them yet. I even have the anything cages to mount on there but have yet to have a need to carry stuff there.

Plenty of folk seem to get on with them though. Everyone is different... I don't mind using a rucksack!
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Only really used my gorilla cages when I end up carrying all my young fellas kit as well as my own ,reckon I could get away with just 2 cages for my summer kit though , I may give it a try next trip ( I also use a ortlieb bum bag / waist pack thingy)
freddy_tanner

Post by freddy_tanner »

Cheers for the comments guys.

Just asked Trek about weights and they are quoting 786+/- 24 gs for the fork