Doethie valley

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

faustus

Doethie valley

Post by faustus »

I'm planning on riding down this in just under a couple of weeks (southbound). It's been about 8 years since i last did it, and i'm wondering if anyone has done it recently or when summer vegetation is at its height? Is it in OK condition (for the area, my expectations are set accordingly!), and mostly rideable? It's early on in a fairly long 2 day ride i'm planning, and i'd rather not have to slog down it too much, or to push through lots of bracken.
Ta.
psling

Re: Doethie valley

Post by psling »

Probably not a great deal of help but I rode down it about 2 years ago. Bracken will be high on the upper reaches at the moment.
BUT, and for me it was a big but, the bridleway seemed to have been regularly ridden by pony-trekkers at that time and was (for my riding skills) a nightmare. I got the impression that a local stables had started using it regularly.
Like I say though, that was a couple of years ago but for me spoiled one of my favourite places for both riding and walking, I just love the way each spur of the valley opens up a different landscape.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Similar to Pete, I rode it 2 years ago in October. Even though it was dry I vowed never again due to large amounts of vegetation and horrible track
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
faustus

Post by faustus »

Thanks both for the input so far, shame to hear that horse traffic might have diminished enjoyment. I'm thinking it's a 50/50 whether I do it or not. As you say psling, it's a stunning valley however you travel down it, and i've some nice memories form my trips down it - that's the main reason for wanting to go again really, to experience the beauty. But, a fair bit of my riding lately has involved bushwacking and hardened hoof-prints, and i'd rather avoid too much of it on a laden bike.

Will see...
Mike

Post by Mike »

Im just going to put it out there and say, there are much better tracks / descents than that one.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Im just going to put it out there and say, there are much better tracks / descents than that one.
Totally agree fella. Very overrated it is and yes, much better to be had.
May the bridges you burn light your way
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:40 pm
Totally agree fella. Very overrated it is and yes, much better to be had.
There was a time that I would disagree with you guys but then, at that time you probably wouldn't be saying that! 15/20years ago before it was used for enduro/sportive type rides it was sweet as. These days I'd agree, it's nowhere near as enjoyable a ride.
Still a wonderful place though for solitude and beauty :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
faustus

Post by faustus »

I know it's not rated any more, I just fancy including it on my ride for old times sake. I first rode it 15 years ago and loved the setting as much as the ride. Might just do it to see how it is, though hope it's not a slog.