Gravel+???

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Blair512

Gravel+???

Post by Blair512 »

Morning All,

I've got an old pair of 650B wheels up in the loft I'm thinking of sticking on my Arkose to give me a bit more volume on the rougher rides but I've a couple of questions first.

Firstly has anyone used a 15mm to QR conversion kit? Do they work OK? Any one particularly good or should be avoided?

Second, will I squeeze a pair of G One Bite 2.1's in there?

Anything I'm not thinking of before I go and blow £100+ on an experiment? I seen Stu's initial reveiw here: https://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.c ... great.html but I couldn't find a follow up with the results but my search skills are crap!
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Gravel+???

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sorry, I never really did follow it up as by the time I'd fully decided that it was brilliant, the market had latched on and it had become much more mainstream. Let's just say that I've not reverted back to 700c but I would also say that tyre clearance appears to alter between different years or Arkose, not all tyres of the same size are actually the same size and I had better results with tyres 2" or just under.
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Blair512 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:47 am Firstly has anyone used a 15mm to QR conversion kit? Do they work OK? Any one particularly good or should be avoided?
I've used the adapter that came with my dynamo hub (Exposure) to fit my 15mm 650B dyno wheel into the qr fork of my Planet X London Road (to convert it to an on-trend gravel bike :wink: ) and I've not had any issues at all with it.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

used th eone that came with my easton and it ghas been fine

not really sure what can go wrong - its a tube with a hole in it basically
jameso

Post by jameso »

In the 2017 and onward bikes yes but it'll be dry conditions only sort of fit on the rear.
not really sure what can go wrong - its a tube with a hole in it basically
You can get issues with Dyno hubs rotating against the 15mm to QR adapter and dislodging the connection but otherwise yes, it's just an adapter.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

jameso wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:24 pm
In the 2017 and onward bikes yes but it'll be dry conditions only sort of fit on the rear.
Ah, it's a 2015 model, what'll I manage to shoe horn in there?

Figured the axel adapter would be OK but knowing my luck I'd buy the only sub standard one on the market! :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ah, it's a 2015 model, what'll I manage to shoe horn in there?
Mine's older than yours and I'm running 2" Maxxis Refuse front and back. Surpringly grippy for something with near zero tread - I'd not want them in the mud mind :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Blair512 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:00 pm Figured the axel adapter would be OK but knowing my luck I'd buy the only sub standard one on the market! :lol:
If you find the hub rotating about the axle it will be because the axle is slightly longer than the hub is wide so the fork is gripping the adapter and not the end face of the hub, so just file a bit off the end of the adapter that sits against the inside of the fork. Not the very end that sits in the dropout. It's obvious when it's on the bike and easier to see than describe :roll:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
jameso

Post by jameso »

The fork will be your limiter on the 2015 bike. Stuart's older bike had a bit more clearance there, not a lot more but enough to get a 2" in.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Thanks Chaps, I'll see what I can do. I won't be venturing into any mud with it, I've a Ramin for that sort of nonsense but I found the 38c's pretty unforgiving on wind farm tracks and such like. I'll maybe just try a set of 40c on the wheels I have and see if that makes a difference.