This is (not) Wales (BB200 encouragement)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

This is (not) Wales (BB200 encouragement)

Post by redefined_cycles »

Just seen this vid and filled me with awe at the opportunity of riding the BB200 without having to risk as much as these fellas...

Countless river crossings as well as trying to outrun the water to the next ford/path where the river would form (from the melting glaciers at the start of sunUp).

https://bikepacking.com/plog/shared-territory-iceland/

I guess you could see this thread as an 'encouragement' and 'positivity' section where anyone can share anything thats totally positive and lovely about our event and makes one want to get out from in front of the telly and go (wake up early when the tickets* go live) and book themselves a place for some well deserved type 1 (the Cambrian mountains backdrop and riding where few people have ridden before) and type 2 (the shower and food and everything in between at the end) fun... :-bd

*a phenomena thats already taken place and something I always thought was exclusive to events such as ArdRock (something I never really fully understood as to why!).

Over to you (oh, and Allen, hope this fills us with increased desperation to go ride it.. :lol: that vid indeed helped my mindset)
Asposium

Re: This is (not) Wales (BB200 encouragement)

Post by Asposium »

you're over thinking it

receive route from stu
study for water and food stops
decide on tyres; there will be talk on that during the run up to the event
decide on clothing; eventually someone will break and mention the R word
pack bike
check the GPS and lights work; route loaded and all batteries charged
turn up on the day
faff and sort bike; unless you're a smug b@stard who has a van that will take the bike whole and fully assembled
ride; it may be wet, it may be cold, it may be sunny, it may be dry
finish
collect badge
eat cornflakes, bacon rolls (other bread fillings are available upon request), drink tea
have a snooze in the hall
pack bike
go home
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Going to watch it now, and the reply made me chuckle.
redefined_cycles

Escape Goat wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:49 pm Going to watch it now, and the reply made me chuckle.
Thats just the sort of reply I we were after :-bd ...

Plus, the vid (I suppose) you can't get much more 'off the grid*' than an active volcano and melting glaciers with a route that would normally kill off... (won't spoil it for ya).

*in ref to a mention Allan made well before we both contemplated doing a BB200
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

þetta reddast.
redefined_cycles

Escape Goat wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:31 pm þetta reddast.
It will indeed InshaAllah (God-Willing) :-bd
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

faff and sort bike; unless you're a smug b@stard who has a van that will take the bike whole and fully assembled
Point of order: I have a (small, car-derived) van which will take the bike whole and packed, but will probably still spend an hour faffing at the start.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

thenorthwind wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:23 pm
Point of order: I have a (small, car-derived) van which will take the bike whole and packed, but will probably still spend an hour faffing at the start.
:o :lol: :shock:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:47 pm Just seen this vid and filled me with awe at the opportunity of riding the BB200 without having to risk as much as these fellas...

Countless river crossings as well as trying to outrun the water to the next ford/path where the river would form (from the melting glaciers at the start of sunUp).

I guess you could see this thread as an 'encouragement' and 'positivity' section where anyone can share anything thats totally positive and lovely about our event and makes one want to get out from in front of the telly and go (wake up early when the tickets* go live) and book themselves a place for some well deserved type 1 (the Cambrian mountains backdrop and riding where few people have ridden before) and type 2 (the shower and food and everything in between at the end) fun... :-bd

*a phenomena thats already taken place and something I always thought was exclusive to events such as ArdRock (something I never really fully understood as to why!).

Over to you (oh, and Allen, hope this fills us with increased desperation to go ride it.. :lol: that vid indeed helped my mindset)
Don't for a second think riding in Wales is easier… I've tried both and keep going back to Iceland, but not so much to Wales 😉
redefined_cycles

Alpinum wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:03 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:47 pm Just seen this vid and filled me with awe at the opportunity of riding the BB200 without having to risk as much as these fellas...

Don't for a second think riding in Wales is easier… I've tried both and keep going back to Iceland, but not so much to Wales 😉
:lol: Still... for the mind it seems more "acceptable. I guess you could ride Wales and pretend you're in Iceland/Greenland (dont really know much the difference) but without the grey spots :smile: