New Bivibag

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Moff

New Bivibag

Post by Moff »

Time to replace the Hunka, being a factory second from the original batch it hasn't done too badly!!
But it is now starting to de-lam.

Been looking at the Borah's seem pretty good price/weight
Are the seams taped or do they need sealing?
How waterproof are they? Will mostly be used under a tarp so probably doesn't matter too much.

Alpkit Kloke?
Other options that don't get too spendy?
Cheeky Monkey

Re: New Bivibag

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

IIRC, other than the Snowyside that is made of event, most of the Borah bags are "shower proof". You'll save a fair bit of weight and bulk compared to a Hunka but it won't be as waterproof. Under a tarp, depending on your personal preference, they are fine.

Massive as well, particularly if you're going from a regular Hunka.

Depending on the combo of fabrics you might also find it a bit slippy.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Sorry, should have said "slippy" can be sorted with careful pitch selection, a bit of silicone dotting / squiggles etc.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yep, aside from the Snowyside Borah's aren't waterproof and in my experience 'water resistant' really is pushing things a little - the odd drip's fine but drizzle, low cloud, etc will see you wet.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:00 pm Yep, aside from the Snowyside Borah's aren't waterproof and in my experience 'water resistant' really is pushing things a little - the odd drip's fine but drizzle, low cloud, etc will see you wet.
I'd echo that with my TiGoat Kestrel, though I plan to apply a little Grangers to it.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Are you sure the Snowyside ones aren't *fairly* waterproof?
Snowyside eVent® Bivy:

An ultralight, packable bivy made with ultra breathable 3 layer eVent waterproof fabric. Whether you are a mountaineer, thru-hiker, or bikepacker, it is a great choice for a minimalist shelter that will provide protection from unpredictable and harsh mountain weather.

Features:

13.9oz
3 layer eVent fabric top is extremely breathable and 100% waterproof
30d silnylon waterproof bottom
Removable netting for bug protection when the weather is nice
Storm flap over closure
Waterproof YKK zipper runs across the top and down the side 20", making it a breeze to get in and out of
Stake loops at top and bottom
Stuff sack included
Can be compressed down to the size of a softball
We recommend McNett's Seam Grip for seam sealing

Specs:

Fits users up to 6'4". Please contact if you need one longer/wider
76in girth at shoulders
64in girth at feet
Weight: 13.9oz
Current color of eVent that we have is brown
I agree about the ultralight or what sometimes gets called their "standard" bivi (mostly Argon now though think my old one is Silnylon) is, at best, water-resistant.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've two Borah bivy bags, one silnylon base, one cuben fibre, as well as the Alpkit Hunka XL.

The Borah bags are slightly bigger than the Hunka, maybe a cm or so wider. As others have said they aren't waterproof, Highland mist might be their limit :shock: They'll handle brushing against condensation on the underside of tarps if that's your usage.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The Snowyside isn't being made/sold anymore.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Moff wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:08 pm Been looking at the Borah's seem pretty good price/weight
Are the seams taped or do they need sealing?
How waterproof are they? Will mostly be used under a tarp so probably doesn't matter too much.
As has been said, the top of the Borah is only water resistant. The trade off is that it's more breathable than any of the waterproof bivis I've tried. The seams aren't sealed but there would be no point. The bottom is fully waterproof. Just make sure when you lay it out on wet ground you have it the right way up before kneeling on it or the water will be forced through to the inside :oops:

If you plan to use it under a tarp then I'd say it's ideal. It's my favourite. The mesh top keeps the bugs/slugs out :smile: If it's dry and there's no rain forecast then I don't bother putting the tarp up. Mine got damp on the top when I bivied in Scotland sans tarp and woke up in a cloud. The material is very quick drying so a quick air at a lunch stop and in after couple of minutes in the sun/breeze it was dry.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Moff

Post by Moff »

Hmm....the Borah doesn't sound too good for a UK weather/tarp mis-pitch situation.

Current Hunka the original small size so have to use it on my sleeping mat, quite often slide off at the mo.

Something I could get a mat into and have semi decent weather proofing would be ideal.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I massively rate my Terra Nova Discovery Lite Goretex bag which breathes well and keeps the water out. Sadly this is completely useless as they stopped making them.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Something I could get a mat into and have semi decent weather proofing would be ideal.
Hunka XL ticks your boxes for less £ than most.
Hmm....the Borah doesn't sound too good for a UK weather/tarp mis-pitch situation.
The Borah is actually brilliant, you just have you know it's limitations and use it accordingly. Probably better to view it as a midge proof bag cover than what we'd usually term a bivvy bag.

massively rate my Terra Nova Discovery Lite Goretex bag which breathes well and keeps the water out. Sadly this is completely useless as they stopped making them.
I've got one of those somewhere Dave. Not the roomiest but a good bag.

Just thought ... ME Ion is worth looking at. Very light, packs small, waterproof and has a big hood. Might be a bit too snug for an air mat inside but a good bag that also breathes quite well.

Another (although I've not tried one) is the North Face Assault. Looks bigger than the Ion and has a bug net / screen too.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Moff wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:38 pm Hmm....the Borah doesn't sound too good for a UK weather/tarp mis-pitch situation.

Current Hunka the original small size so have to use it on my sleeping mat, quite often slide off at the mo.

How big is your tarp? I've had no issues with my Borah (other than when it was upside down) in some pretty dire weather. I'll see if I can find a picture of my tarp/bag setup.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Day 2 of a failed ridgeway double, Easter 2018. I had to bail to a commercial campsite to be able to stand it their free showers until I stopped shivering... When I was in my Borah was the only time in 48 hours when I wasn't get wet from the constant heavy rain but the tarp provides enough coverage to keep the rain off the bivi.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Moff wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:38 pm Hmm....the Borah doesn't sound too good for a UK weather/tarp mis-pitch situation
I bought a slightly larger tarp to ensure I had enough coverage to cope with wind-driven rain.

My Rab Ascent is waterproof, breathable, has an optional midge hood and is large enough to get a mat in. I've used it in heavy rain without a tarp and it was fine. It weighs 583g (with hood).
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

For bad weather I used to Use a OR helium but my son has it now,loads of room ,if it's fully zipped there is a condensation issue ,now I have a hunka XL for bad weather and we both have a borah argon 67 for summer or tarp use , after using the borah and the helium I find the hunka XL a bit tight in comparison
Moff

Post by Moff »

Hadn't thought of the Grangers/Nikwax coating option.....Borah maybe back on.

Tarp is a Rig3.5 so coverage is a little limited at times or I just need to learn to pitch it better.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Moff wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:43 pm Hadn't thought of the Grangers/Nikwax coating option.....Borah maybe back on.

Tarp is a Rig3.5 so coverage is a little limited at times or I just need to learn to pitch it better.
Same size as my old Siltarp 1. That's why I've gone bigger

http://www.trekkertent.com/home/home/9- ... 80cm_9ft_x_
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Hadn't thought of the Grangers/Nikwax coating option.....Borah maybe back on.
I can't really see you having much success to be honest.
In all but the very worst conditions, that should be ample.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

The normal Borah is water resistant but only lightly so. As said above, a tiny bit of rain and it's no use

I use mine under a tarp, or in a shelter or some sort (e.g. a porch of a building)

I also have the snowyside. I tend to use this when I'm not expecting to use a tarp as it's heavier/bulkier than the normal Borah. i also think the normal Borah is better for midges

Both are huge, I can get my mat inside comfortably (I'm tall and the mat is a large)
FLV

Post by FLV »

I rate my MSR AC bivy

Its discontinued but can still be found ont web.
Waterproof. Roomy enough for me with my mat inside and a sleeping bag. Even got my cycling shorts on in there. Im not small at 5.11 and 100kg either.

Has a built in midge net too.

Really pleased with mine.

Got mine from bergzeit i think
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ohhhh... this is a two-pint Friday night post, and I'm pre-steeling myself for lots of lovely probably well-deserved flames. Honestly guy(esse)s, I'm gen-yew-ine-ly not trolling here - ohhh gawd maybe I am, cos it's a perfectly reasonable thread about b-bags and after all EVERYBODY else but me uses and loves 'em - and I'd desperately like to be convinced to try a bivvy bag I really would, but I just keep seeing all this stuff about "it's almost waterproof", "you're OK so long as you're under a tarp as well", "it'll handle a bit of condensation", "yes but the big 600g b'bags would do the job", etc etc and I can't just seem to get it.

About the only thing I can still see as a plus point is the "stealth" angle, but if I'm on top of Cader Idris I don't give a monkey's about stealth, and if I'm using a tarp (*) ("cos the b'bag isn't 100% waterproof") then I'm in a spot where stealth isn't an issue and then I don't need the b'bag cos I have the tarp. Ok, granted I'm not a habitual Scottish m*d*e (utter ye not the name) victim and no need to hide from them, but a *i*g* headnet has done that job when necessary.

I'm going to stick with my tarp plus 'ultrashell' (40gsm v 39gsm M1!)sleeping bag. That is until MaM drags me down the pub, pours some beer down me, then swaps his kit for mine without telling me, and I have to spend a night in his bivi bag in 50 mile an hour winds, ice, downpours, etc then love it to bits. Er, just the same as I have done in my lighter/smaller/unenclosed/much-roomier tarp plus ultrashell bag/quilt :smile:

'Reg' X_X B-( :YMPEACE:

(*) edit: yes, alright, I know I won't get the bloody pegs in on top of Cader but...
Last edited by RIP on Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

RIP wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:18 pm ...MaM drags me down the pub, pours some beer down me...
This is the key bit, isn't it?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Heh heh, good call Chris :wink: . Still, 'Routes puts it far more succinctly (impossible not to :wink: ) than me: "I bought a slightly larger tarp to ensure I had enough coverage to cope with wind-driven rain". Not sure if he's a beer man or not though I must admit, dunno if that makes any difference.

Oh bugger, that prompted me to go and nose around about down jackets yet again - the other item I'd lurve (*) to have - and I ended up with "Only problem with most down jackets is that for me they have a niche use. Hiking in them doesn't work after you've warmed up because they don't breathe and can't be used in rain. So they are only good for sleeping and sat around camp. Good for the sdw weekender but I would'nt use one usually. All sounds a bit bush crafty to me......:eek:". So still no down jacket (**) for Reg then (sorry SteveM, I've really appreciated your patience!). Jaysus I'm a terrible Consumer, the economy's wrecked and it's my fault.

(*) "have to scrape some cash for" :wink:

(**) https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/minimus-down-jacket. :YMDAYDREAM: . Sigh.
Last edited by RIP on Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yep - I either go with Kestrel(185g) and Tarp(124g) plus pegs and pole (200g ??) or use the Rab Ascent at 583g. I'm also using a quilt (480g) which can be draughty if not using bivvy bag.