New Bivibag

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: New Bivibag

Post by RIP »

If you Classified's the Kestrel (very nice :wink:) and tarp, you'd have a spare 309g (OK, -11g for m**ge net) = palatial cubo tarp under which you'd be dry as a bone AND have space for the cocktail cabinet and telly...

OK, I give up, you lot win, b-bags are the perfect accommodation and irresistible to the opposite sex and/or sundry bivvy-location-based furry-animals :smile: <tail-between-legs-emoji-thingy>.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:00 pm Day 2 of a failed ridgeway double, Easter 2018. I had to bail to a commercial campsite to be able to stand it their free showers until I stopped shivering... When I was in my Borah was the only time in 48 hours when I wasn't get wet from the constant heavy rain but the tarp provides enough coverage to keep the rain off the bivi.
What size is that tarp Sean?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

ChrisS wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:10 am What size is that tarp Sean?
The tarp is 2.7 long and it's 2.4 wide at the front and tapers down to 1.6 at the back. It's got a cat cut ridge as well as all the edges to help get a taught pitch. The poles I use with it are 1050mm front and 700mm rear.

I made it from quite a light sinylon so despite the large size it only weighs 249g. I could have got away with smaller but sewing the light material was hard work so I'm not going to make another one to save 50g!
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Nice work! That looks really well made and good size to weight ratio :-bd
Moff

Post by Moff »

sean_iow wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:47 pm
ChrisS wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:10 am What size is that tarp Sean?
The tarp is 2.7 long and it's 2.4 wide at the front and tapers down to 1.6 at the back. It's got a cat cut ridge as well as all the edges to help get a taught pitch. The poles I use with it are 1050mm front and 700mm rear.

I made it from quite a light sinylon so despite the large size it only weighs 249g. I could have got away with smaller but sewing the light material was hard work so I'm not going to make another one to save 50g!
Sean, do you have a pattern/panel dimensions for your tarp? If you don't mind sharing?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I can post one up when I'm at work tomorrow, the AutoCAD file is on my work pc.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Moff wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:38 pm Sean, do you have a pattern/panel dimensions for your tarp? If you don't mind sharing?
Here you go :smile:

That's just one side so you need 2 sewn together at the ridge, If the material has an inside and an outside then don't forget to flip the template over to get the opposite hand. The red line is the basic shape. The outer blue line is the cutting line to get the curved seams and the inner is the seam allowance.

I actually did a write up of how I made it

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11714

Of course photobucket's change in policy means the pics are harder to see but you should be able to get the gist of it. If you want the AutoCAD file then PM me an email address and I'll send it over. If you're going to make them commercially and make your fortune then don't forget about me :wink:
Moff

Post by Moff »

Brilliant, thanks Sean.

Now to tap somebody up for some Cuben...
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

It might even be easier in Cuben as I don't think it stretches in the same was as silnylon? So the edges can be straight which makes the seams easier, especially the ridge. The cat cut is required with silnylon as is stretches so a straight seam wrinkles when pulled taught.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Now to tap somebody up for some Cuben...
Given the price of cuben at the moment and the relatively small weight saving plus slightly larger packsize, I probably wouldn't bother.
May the bridges you burn light your way