141 QR Boost Dropouts - Sonder Frontier

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

DiscoStu

141 QR Boost Dropouts - Sonder Frontier

Post by DiscoStu »

I've currently got a 2.6" WTB tyre crammed into the 135mm QR rear end of my Whyte 629 - I've had to trim it a little to stop it rubbing but the comfort and ride quality were worth it to be honest. It does still rub a little under high torque or if stood up and climbing - obviously not ideal.

I'm really taken with high volume 29ers though and desperately trying not to buy an entire new 29+ bike as I really dont need another bike and have already run out of space.

A frame swap might be a better option and I've looked at the Sonder Frontier (https://www.alpkit.com/sonder/sonder-frontier) which has a slightly more accommodating rear end and will accept my dropper, forks etc. This new 141mm QR boost standard could be a problem though. As I'm tight and have recently bought a nice set of 32mm inner width 29er wheels I'd like to continue to use them - surely 6mm can be spaced out with a washer/spacer bonded to the hub adaptors or similar and a spacer made up fro the brake rotor?

Has anyone done anything like this successfully? Added to that, any general opinions on the frontier would also be welcome - I'll be sticking 120mm non boost forks on it which aren't exactly spec but aren't too far out either.
FLV

Re: 141 QR Boost Dropouts - Sonder Frontier

Post by FLV »

What hubs do you have? I confess I dont know of anyone doing adapters from 135 to 141 qr. 142 thru yes but thats a different frame question.

Moving to any boost spacing frame and adapting existing hubs you may need to watch for chain-tyre clearance.

Also, the frontier is 650+ not 29+ so you might not get much from the swap.
DiscoStu

Post by DiscoStu »

HI FLV,

My current hubs are brand new Superstars V6 135mm QR - it's possible Superstars might make something up but I think I'm likely to have more luck with local engineering /lathe type folk.

The Frontier is apparently happy up to 29x2.5 which I think will accommodate my current tyre choice, especially as I've trimmed them. The Whyte is specced for 2.3 I think!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

141QR Boost is on the drop down list for adapters for the V6 hubs when buying a wheel set, I just looked on the Superstar website so you may be in luck.

It depends if the base hub is the same for the boost and non-boost versions.

For example, Hope can be converted from 148 boost to 141QR boost with a change of adapters, or from 142 to 135QR. But there aren't adapters to go from 135QR to 141QR.

Edit, a bit of further browsing the superstar website and it appears the Boost and Non-boost hubshells are different so I don't think you can get adapters :sad: Getting them made might cost more than having the wheel rebuilt with a new hub. Don't forget that for a QR wheel the little bits sticking out the end are what support the weight of the wheel so the spacer would need to go between the existing adapter and the hub. On the superstar hubs my mate has (not V6) the adapters screw on so you'd might need to have whole new adapters made to screw on in place of the originals.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

15 x 110 and 148 x 12 with the use of qr spacers make a boost qr set up, in case you wanted to know :)
DiscoStu

Post by DiscoStu »

Cheers lads, I hadn't spotted the 141 option on superstars website, I'll take a look, thanks!

I fear you may be right though and a rebuild onto a boost hub may actually be the most economic option. I think if I went down that route I'd probably look at "true" boost frames to take advantage of up to 29x3 tyres.
Roo

Post by Roo »

Very happy Frontier owner here, but sorry as I can't advise on your question.

However, I thought I heard a rumor somewhere that there is a new version of the frame coming. I'd recommend contacting Alpkit to sound them out.