Tussock Training

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Tussock Training

Post by dlovett »

We all know how Stu loves a boggy field of tussocks and freezing mud. Down in the tropical south we don’t have any to hand, so what is the next best thing to wade through for training that I might find down here?
Asposium

Re: Tussock Training

Post by Asposium »

push your bike across a local beach?
sand dunes?
anything that is not rideable will suffice
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

As long as there is no hosepipe ban in force you could fill a paddling pool with cold water and sponges and then squelch around it carrying your bike above your head.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

NewRetroTom wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:35 pm As long as there is no hosepipe ban in force you could fill a paddling pool with cold water and sponges and then squelch around it carrying your bike above your head.
Sadly they removed all the mud from the mini mudder race that they held on the common.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Asposium wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:33 pm push your bike across a local beach?
sand dunes?
anything that is not rideable will suffice
I do sea running and loose sand climbing, but that's not quite the same, it doesn't have the suction of mud.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Have we actually had much in the way of tussocks the last few years?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:20 pm Have we actually had much in the way of tussocks the last few years?
i recall the last section of 2016 as being particularly unrideable. my average speed was quite respectable until that point.

none last year though; made up for by rivers that were thigh deep, and horizontal wind-driven-rain
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Coastal grasslands would be similar, or any grim and desperate carrying. Sand dunes perhaps?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:20 pm Have we actually had much in the way of tussocks the last few years?
Now look what you've gone and done - BB200 riders, I pity you :mrgreen:
Maybe speak to one of the artificial turf companies and see if they would be willing to develop artificial tussocks. You could set up a field of them and create a tussock bikepark so people in the south can session them and prep for events in the rest of the UK.

PS if you fancy some real tussock training there's plenty up this way :???:
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I just want to be prepared for anything you might throw at us.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

AlasdairMc wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:01 pm Coastal grasslands would be similar, or any grim and desperate carrying. Sand dunes perhaps?
Sadly all of it here is under protection and they don't take kindly to people running of it carrying bikes. Still I do loose sand climbing where I can.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

htrider wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:51 pm
Now look what you've gone and done - BB200 riders, I pity you :mrgreen:
Maybe speak to one of the artificial turf companies and see if they would be willing to develop artificial tussocks. You could set up a field of them and create a tussock bikepark so people in the south can session them and prep for events in the rest of the UK.

PS if you fancy some real tussock training there's plenty up this way :???:
On the east of the Island the harbour is very muddy at low tide, but it's also very dangerous and my neighbour who crews for the RNLI, banned me from going near it when we had a chat about it.

So the South Coast Tussock Training Centre, it's got a certain kind of ring to it. Plenty of folk down here that do tri's and things like that would pay good money to visit it . Now whats the number for Aardvark Artificial Lawns.....
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

A skip full of entrails and hay bales?