Jay Petervary sacked

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Taylor

Jay Petervary sacked

Post by Taylor »

Dropped by salsa after his comments about lael's TD attempt.
I think he's a great rider but needs to wind his neck in sometimes after some of his out spoken comments and misdemeanor's.
Surprised it took this long.
Richard G

Re: Jay Petervary sacked

Post by Richard G »

For those of us that don't follow any of this stuff...

...what were those comments?
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Rich. From the Radavist

“Dear Adventure Community,

Some of you may be aware of the public debate of rules surrounding this year’s Tour Divide. While we appreciate a healthy discussion, we were disappointed by the behavior of Salsa Cycles sponsored athlete Jay Petervary. As a result, we have made the difficult decision to end our sponsorship agreement with Jay.

We would like to make clear that our decision was not based on the Tour Divide rules, nor the interpretation of those rules. During the conflict that surrounded this year’s Tour Divide, Jay’s conduct simply did not align with our brand values of empathy, community, and positivity.

Over the years, Jay has been an important partner for Salsa Cycles in supporting and growing Adventure By Bike. We wish him the best in his next adventure.

Sincerely,

Salsa Cycles”

https://theradavist.com/2019/07/salsa-t ... ract/#meta
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Reminds me of stu’s rule .....

“Don’t be a dick”

Shame for the entire community; riders, sponsors, and events.
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

Not sure exactly what Jay has said, but this is from Rue (Lael's girlfriend) write up on the radavist:
At first it was easy to dismiss some of the comments in the Facebook group. But we found it more difficult once Jay Petervary got involved. We respect Jay and all that he has done for the community and wanted to have a conversation with him. In an email he wrote to Matthew, Lael and me, he said: “Do this. It’s going to be vaguely exciting and even interesting to say the least. Take all precautions. I’m good. But please understand what you are doing sets an example. And above all I really hope you understand the meaning of TD, its couple of rules, ethics and spirit. Do you? And do you understand this goes against the grain of it?” We replied that we think with all the precautions we were taking we were following the ethics, spirit and rules of the Tour Divide. He responded with “I now understand. You actually don’t understand. That is OK.”
https://theradavist.com/2019/06/tour-di ... ce-part-4/
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Reminds me of stu’s rule .....

“Don’t be a dick”
I can't take credit for that. That honour goes to Aidan Harding.
May the bridges you burn light your way
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

My take on it:

Jay Petervary has self-appointed himself as a keeper of the ethics, spirit and rules of the Tour Divide. He doesn't have the best history of sticking within those ideals himself, so that is a bit weird, but I guess if he takes ownership of them he can then be the arbiter of what is ok.

He then went about trying to enforce his interpretation of those ideals in a dickish way - making snidey comments and generally trying to discredit other riders.

That is clearly completely incompatible with the role of being a brand ambassador for a company like QBP/Salsa who are trying to be as inclusive as possible.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

NewRetroTom wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:03 am Jay Petervary has self-appointed himself as a keeper of the ethics, spirit and rules of the Tour Divide. He doesn't have the best history of sticking within those ideals himself, so that is a bit weird...
I wondered about this too. Maybe he's taken on board all the criticism, and had a rethink/Damascene conversion? Maybe he sees it as a shot at redemption (cf David Millar becoming an anti-doping ambassador)?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

NewRetroTom wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:03 am making snidey comments and generally trying to discredit other riders.
Especially if the other rider you're having a go at is sponsored by Specalized... who will threaten to take anyone to court if they think it's affecting their business.

Phone call to Salsa... "Hi, It's Specalized here, we were hoping that Lael would win the TD and we could use the coverage in our ad campaign but JP messed that up, could you ditch him please"

Salsa "err, why should we"

Specalized "If you don't we'll make sure every bike shop that stocks your brand doesn't stock ours... and not only that we'll use our influence with parts suppliers to make sure they also don't get anything with Shimano/SRAM parts on it, oh and you won't be able to get any of them either"

Salsa "OK, Il'l email JP now and give him the bad news"

All of the above is tongue in cheek, but we've no idea what goes goes on behind the scenes. I think JP broke Rule 1 in the way he went about it, plus his own previous actions seem at odds with his hard line on the ethics of the race.

I see on FB on the Salsa page there is talk of the 'other' film crew. It's a shame as all this talk about JP/film crews/Lael distracts from the other riders who stuck to the spirit of the event, like our Dave :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's a shame as all this talk about JP/film crews/Lael distracts from the other riders who stuck to the spirit of the event, like our Dave :smile:
Real heroes always go unsung Sean.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ton

Post by ton »

is jay petervary the bloke who once cheated on the tdr by using a sail?
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:45 am
It's a shame as all this talk about JP/film crews/Lael distracts from the other riders who stuck to the spirit of the event, like our Dave :smile:
Real heroes always go unsung Sean.
I should be DQd for unfair advantage in teeth cleaning gear
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Ton, Yes and no, he did use a sail but it wasn't specifically against the rules at the time. They clarified the rules afterwards. He's the one with the funny beard (no offense to anyone here with a similar beard)
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ton wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:46 am is jay petervary the bloke who once cheated on the tdr by using a sail?
He is indeed Tony. The excuse, IIRC, at the time was "It's not forbidden in the rules".

I think it's partly this previous behaviour along with the tone of recent utterings that is annoying people. (I don't know if JP has said anything like an apology or "Oops! I got that wrong." about the sail incident) Americans do seem to have almost a fundamentalist like zeal about this sort of thing but maybe that's just the people who shout the loudest.

P.S. Just fitted those bars to Cath's bike :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ton

Post by ton »

what goes around then eh........... ?

hope the bars are ok Bob. I have put some wide drops back on my tourer. I need to get aero......... :lol: :lol:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Whole thing's a mess for all involved isn't it. Even the original film crew can't stay out of it, cause/effect etc.

Lesson in this I guess. Go and race, do that and no more for your own reasons because that's all it is, and stop fking about with all the superfluous stuff that's about ego and money etc. Credit to you Dave for doing just that.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Having working for most of the major media outlets in the UK, I can say we would have done it a very different way. Telling everybody about it is the biggest mistake. Just quietly do it, produce the content and deal with any accusations that come out then, would have been a much better way to go about it. Not everything has to be broadcast in advance on social media.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

dlovett wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:04 pm Having working for most of the major media outlets in the UK, I can say we would have done it a very different way. Telling everybody about it is the biggest mistake. Just quietly do it, produce the content and deal with any accusations that come out then, would have been a much better way to go about it. Not everything has to be broadcast in advance on social media.
Pretty much that Duncan. In my other life (not as kinky as it might sound) we've been asked by the individuals concerned not to broadcast attempts at various Lakeland fell running records. No problem. Then we find that very runner's sponsors all over social media announcing the very same! Some people just can't help themselves.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

I'm not sure if it's just me being weird, but I'm not even interested in seeing what the film crew have managed to produce. I find the Tour Divide fascinating but the idea of watching films about people racing it just bores me.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Don't get me started on PR's who think they are ..... and ruin everything in their attempt to constantly get their clients publicity. When you explain to them they need to loose this battle to win the war, you normally get blank looks on their little millennial faces.....

whitestone wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:13 pm
dlovett wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:04 pm Having working for most of the major media outlets in the UK, I can say we would have done it a very different way. Telling everybody about it is the biggest mistake. Just quietly do it, produce the content and deal with any accusations that come out then, would have been a much better way to go about it. Not everything has to be broadcast in advance on social media.
Pretty much that Duncan. In my other life (not as kinky as it might sound) we've been asked by the individuals concerned not to broadcast attempts at various Lakeland fell running records. No problem. Then we find that very runner's sponsors all over social media announcing the very same! Some people just can't help themselves.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Just quietly do it, produce the content and deal with any accusations that come out then, would have been a much better way to go about it. Not everything has to be broadcast in advance on social media.
I think it's good that Specialzed / Lael's film crew were up front about it, not the SM effect but for the planning/transparency. They knew it was a fine line, they asked Matt Lee for his take on it and they risked the backlash before the race even began. I wonder if it would have been wiser just to not bother, but the way they did it is both admirable and as you say, probably why others will go under the radar in future (and that perhaps risks more controversy than being up front).

I'm with Tom on it though now, little to no interest in the films. I enjoy browsing some good photography. Write about your experiences too. But I'm not sure we need any more than that. Photos and writing always work better for me (not everyone) in something like this.
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

I read JP's comments at the time and lots of other comments, mainly on the TD FB page. What, I still can't ascertain though; was there another film crew and who was the rider they were following?
May satan walk with you
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Josh ibbot as far as I'm aware although I may be wrong.
jameso

Post by jameso »

ssnowman wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:37 pm I read JP's comments at the time and lots of other comments, mainly on the TD FB page. What, I still can't ascertain though; was there another film crew and who was the rider they were following?
That's sort of my point, it's not 100% clear in contrast to Lael Wilcox's film crew being very open. There are suggestions that 'a film crew' supported 'their rider' etc (Radavist article/post) but all a bit vague. So now a brand who have a lot of images of their rider online may be those described, or may not be.

All a bit silly isn't it : ) All a good case for independent photographers like Eddie Clarke.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

ssnowman wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:37 pm I read JP's comments at the time and lots of other comments, mainly on the TD FB page. What, I still can't ascertain though; was there another film crew and who was the rider they were following?
https://www.instagram.com/hunt.beyond/

I believe this is what Lael's crew were referring to