GB Divide

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gairym

GB Divide

Post by gairym »

I know I've seen/read chatter on here about this possible route/event but I didn't know it was now a real actual thing.....

https://www.gbdivide.net

The ethos seems reasonable enough.

Goes further than most with regards to burying crap and not sleeping inside etc... so there'll be fewer complaints from the purists I imagine.

Obviously the route is never going to gain universal approval as different folks have different ideas about a British 'divide' route and it's integrity vs rideability etc... but from a quick glance it looks alright on the whole.

Anyone gonna go do it?
redefined_cycles

Re: GB Divide

Post by redefined_cycles »

Yes... I saw that or similar and the 'water shed' map... I've definitely got on the radar as had been hoping f9r a LeJog in the not too distant future... But why ride road when you can go offRD

Only problem I have is that I dont got a gravel bike so might end up on the mtb with maybe thinner tyres or summat like that!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

You know the group start will be a race :wink:

I'm interested in the concept of a GB divide but I fear my preferred choice of bike (singlespeed mountain bike) is at odds with what has been developed as a 'gravel' bike route? They state

​We love fast flowing tracks but we are not allergic to road and if it's a choice between a rutted bridleway or road, we choose road

Maybe it's the same mindset which means I'd rather struggle with one gear when perfectly good geared bikes are available, but I would chose the rutted bridleway :smile:

I couldn't see a link to the gpx? I'd like to have a look at the route as the list of contributors includes some big names so there might be some gems to incorporate into other rides.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Substandard from on here rode this year's GBDuro which is the race/event based on it.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
gairym

Post by gairym »

sean_iow wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:01 pm You know the group start will be a race :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, I am aware that some may treat it that way. :???:
sean_iow wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:01 pmI couldn't see a link to the gpx?
You can download the .gpx direct from the bikepacking.com article here:

https://bikepacking.com/routes/gb-divide/
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

gairym wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:15 pm You can download the .gpx direct from the bikepacking.com article here:
Excellent, thanks :-bd
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Wow...now this looks epic! Time is rolling on and plans are mounting up!
techno

Post by techno »

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Rule 3 is interesting - no tactical hotel / b&b stops which is actually quite hard going on a 200k route...

Re the route, he's certainly done his homework (and seems to have hacked my GPX files :lol: ) The stuff in Scotland is all good - not the usual trunk road schlep. As an example his route from Stirling to Callander is my own back road route :wink: but not an obvious one. It visits some interesting places in West Lothian and Lanarkshire as well and the route through the borders / northumberland looks pretty good.

Blimey, I might have to do it!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm thinking it should really be called the England - Scotland divide.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

why?

they seem to have deliberately taken the route into to wales to make it all of GB that is cycled through,
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Bollox, I was looking at the wrong map ... as you were GB divide it is :grin:
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Looks pretty good from Lachlan's footage...
https://youtu.be/e74xncSCoqw

I might try to persuade my mate to do it with me for a joint 50th trip, though at a slightly more leisurely pace :lol:
And we'd finish it properly in Shetland :-bd
liamg

Post by liamg »

I'll admit to being a bit biased given I did the track for the LE to Bristol segment, but I think this is a great route. It's difficult to balance the competing requirements of maximising offroad riding whilst not ending up with a route that feels very bit-y and contrived, but I think this does a good job. For those concerned that I may be a bit tame, I included the descent from Dunkery Beacon and the Gap's in there too, so plenty to challenge you on your cross/gravel bike (which is the type of bike I'd still recommend).

Also, although they seem to have a bit of a bad rep on here, probably due to their use of social media, The Racing Collective are a great bunch of people who embrace and promote many of the values that this forum expounds. I was involved in some of the discussions around the race format/rules and the primary concern was to ensure that racers embraced being out in the countryside (hence no B&B rule)and acted responsibly. The Racing Collective run a tree planting trip to Trees for Life every year and their long term aim is to establish a crowdfunded National Park and rewild it. I think most of us here can get behind that.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Suppose for me it’s the name “the racing collective”

Gives an impression of a bunch of Lycra clad roadies playing in the mud.
Especially that comment about preferring road to a bridleway.

Then there’s the issue of “racing” on bridleway.

Perhaps an unfortunate name.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I don't believe they've had a bad rep on here, could be wrong about that. The name might not be the best either, whether that's for BWs or roads.

It takes a bit of skill to produce a balanced route : you can't be hitting the riders with tough section after tough section nor simply making up the Kms with huge road sections, there has to be payback. Tough bit, a breather, something not too bad, a tough bit, etc. Dunkery Beacon on a CX/gravel bike :o The route also has to be legal so no cheeky usage of footpaths but in the UK that does mean using roads to link things up.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yes, I recall it was the choice of name and talk of racing that put people on the back-foot. I also recall it was at a time when everyone else was doing their best to dumb-down talk of racing because the authorities had begun to take an interest.
redefined_cycles

whitestone wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:36 am I don't believe they've had a bad rep on here, could be wrong about that. The name might not be the best either, whether that's for BWs or roads.

It takes a bit of skill to produce a balanced route : you can't be hitting the riders with tough section after tough section nor simply making up the Kms with huge road sections, there has to be payback. Tough bit, a breather, something not too bad, a tough bit, etc. Dunkery Beacon on a CX/gravel bike :o The route also has to be legal so no cheeky usage of footpaths but in the UK that does mean using roads to link things up.
I've never done DB but i think read about it at some point. So if theres sections made by mtbers and the likes of DB... It wouldn't be too far fetched bring a 27.5b on such a route with maybe 2.2 tyres. Obviously not on the date of the 'ITT' as it would possibly be a bit too slow.

A LeJOG without all the busy roads would be lovely and maybe from that angle they've hit it on the head :???:
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

This is interesting, very interesting.

Also, Lachlan Morton is a big name in the cycling world! :shock:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

This is the Dunkery Beacon descent

Not spectacularly rough but enough rocks and stones on the path bed to keep you on your toes. Probably about 2km of it. From memory there's one rougher section. I was on a rigid 29er and it was starting to get dark so ...
redefined_cycles

Oh... so just a bit rough but not techincally challenging/draining as much... thanks Bob :-bd
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

whitestone wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:40 am This is the Dunkery Beacon descent

Not spectacularly rough but enough rocks and stones on the path bed to keep you on your toes. Probably about 2km of it. From memory there's one rougher section. I was on a rigid 29er and it was starting to get dark so ...
How old's that picture :smile: From the beacon to the road crossing it's not too bad, after that it was a washed out gully filled with rocks ranging from fist sized to football sized, all loose, that clatter off the bike as you crash over the top of them :lol: It was much worse this year than I remember it from 2017. It's nearer 3.5km form the beacon to the woods.

I was chasing Javi down it this year, he was on a rigid 650B and I was on a hardtail with a 100mm fork. Once we crossed the road is was so rough that I couldn't look up to see how far in front he was, when I did about a minute later he was so far ahead he was out of sight!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Taken in 2012 Sean - I grabbed it off Geograph.org.uk.

I do remember it being rough but not Peak rocky descent rough. The 2km was from road to the bottom, I remember the top bit from beacon to the road as being OK.

Right that's 0.1% of the route sorted out :-bd

As for chasing Javi - good luck!
faustus

Post by faustus »

Looks a great route, and if it's as well crafted as people are saying , then seems worthwhile giving it (or bits of it) a try. I really appreciate the aim of creating a long and spectacular route that you don't have to travel abroad for. I would agree the balance between rough/exciting trails and easier/tarmac bits is a fine balance to achieve. I'm sure I heard that Sustrans want to make a 1000 mile off-road LEJOG at some point? I'm guessing that'll be some way off though.

This ride is kinda tempting as a way of marking a big-ish birthday next year - as an ITT.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:29 am A LeJOG without all the busy roads would be lovely and maybe from that angle they've hit it on the head :???:
LeJOG without busy roads is easy .....done it twice; well, one was JOGLE, but the route is as LeJOG the same just in reverse.

Sections of the PBW are evil on a gravel bike.