Hunt gravel wheels, any opinions?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Jurassic

Hunt gravel wheels, any opinions?

Post by Jurassic »

I'm hoping to upgrade the wheels on my gravel bike soon and have been looking at what's available for not too much money. One of the options is a pair of Hunt 4 Season Gravel Disc wheels. Does anyone have any experience or opinions on Hunt wheels, they seem to get decent reviews in the bike press but I've read a few opinions stating that they're overpriced and over rated. I'd be open to other suggestions for a decent non carbon gravel wheelset that doesn't cost the earth as well. Thanks in advance. :-bd
Jurassic

Re: Hunt gravel wheels, any opinions?

Post by Jurassic »

Another wheelset I'd seen recommended is the Prime Race Disc wheels from Wiggle/CRC which are a fair bit cheaper. I do wonder if they'd be robust enough though (and the rim is a bit narrower than the Hunts as well).
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

Not the specific wheels you're looking at but I have been running the Hunt Aero Light Disc wheels on my bike for the last three years and haven't had an issue, despite using them through some minging weather at times. It's a good package too, with a spoke key, qr adaptors and spare spokes the correct length included.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Have a set of prolite from wiggle on my cdf not as wide as hunts but they've taken a bashing over the last 5months and are still running true think they were £200 ,burty has a set of hunts and he properly abuses them
Edit-
Just checked mine they're the goro ones which were £160 for the pair so even better :-bd 21mm width 17mm depth
Last edited by middleagedmadness on Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Thanks guys, good to know. The Prolites were another name that came up during my initial investigations, good to get some real world user opinions. :-bd
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

I've got hunt aero lights and 650 gravel wheels. Both taken a fair bit of abuse and still going well.
Steveyo

Post by Steveyo »

Just bought a set of hunts gravel wheels, with standard QR adapters. First impressions are really good. stiff and light. Quite a loud freehub. I didnt go for the tyre fittng option, but they come tubeless ready with all the necessary bits and bobs(centre lock adapters, spokes, skewers).
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Jurassic wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:30 pm I'm hoping to upgrade the wheels on my gravel bike soon and have been looking at what's available for not too much money. One of the options is a pair of Hunt 4 Season Gravel Disc wheels. Does anyone have any experience or opinions on Hunt wheels, they seem to get decent reviews in the bike press but I've read a few opinions stating that they're overpriced and over rated. I'd be open to other suggestions for a decent non carbon gravel wheelset that doesn't cost the earth as well. Thanks in advance. :-bd
For my gravel bike I had the following built
DT Swiss 240s
Sapim laser spokes
Mavic open pro UST disc
Really nice wheels

Could save some money by swapping the 240s to 350
The spokes from straight pull laser to j-bend race
Keep the Mavic rims
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

I've got the Hunt 4 Season Disc Wheelset, with Shwalbe G-Ones 'factory' fitted.. These look to have a different rim than the Gravel set?

Not done a massive amount of miles on them, & the majority i have done has been on-road. I'm not a small unit & some of the off-road i've done has been quite technical & so-far so-good.. But tbh for me the limit of what these will comfortably ride off-road is more to do with the tyres i'm using rather than the wheels..

I know they're only a re-badged hub & rim package, but the better quality bearings, brass nipples, etc were all plus points for me.
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
907rider

Post by 907rider »

I have a pair of the 4 season gravel disc wheels that are basically new (fitted to bike but not ridden) that I’m thinking of getting ride of, they come with all the supplied spares included and have qr front and rear and also include a 10x135 adaptor and 10mm Superstar axle for rear wheel and front 9mm adaptors and superstar axle.
Would sell for £250 posted in the original box.
Can provide photos if you are interested.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I have some Prime wheels on my Pickenflick. They are light, strong, make a nice clicky sound and were only £200.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Thanks to everyone who took the time to post a reply, I have lots to consider prior to hopefully making a purchase next paycheck. 907rider, thanks, I'll give it some thought and PM you if I'm interested.