Bike on train

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gazaddy

Bike on train

Post by gazaddy »

Hi all , looking at getting train from Wigan to Kendal for a couple nights bivi in August, how do I book the bike on as when I'm booking tickets online there's no provision for the bike...is it a case of book tickets then turn up with bike ???? Sorry if it sounds numb but never taken it on train before. Thanks
--------------------------------------champagne lifestyle on lemonade budget
RIP

Re: Bike on train

Post by RIP »

Assuming Wigan - Oxenholme. Local ticket office should do it. If not, ring Virgin-on-the-ridiculous direct (number on their website). Bike reservations compulsory on that line. I always book ticket and bike at same time at my local station. Never had a problem.

Me humble view is no point complicating it by then catching Oxenholme - Kendal train for one stop - just freewheel down the hill :smile: . Then again it's only cross-platform interchange so if one happens to be there may as well jump on it - what's the worst that can happen? Guard hoofs you off at next stop? :wink:

R
Last edited by RIP on Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yep, I've always bought mine from Newtown ticket office. Just tell them when and where and leave them to it. They seem to take great pride in sorting out the best deal.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

When I've travelled with northern you just stick your bike on. On virgin you have to nip into the ticket office to reserve your space, if there is one. On trans pennine you can book it on the app 15 minutes before you get on.

:)
RIP

Post by RIP »

"great pride in sorting out the best deal." - same at my one. I also like to challenge them with some bonkers combinations. When I arrive at the window, depending on who's personning it, they either beam with anticipatory relish (one of them, my now pal Eileen) or run away and hide (all the rest). LB - Caersws/Mach is old hat for them now, it's on their speed-dial or whatever the ticketing equivalent is. But the one for the end of this month caused a lot of bafflement and then amusement so let's hope it turns out OK :wink: .

Yeah Northern's non-reserveable in't it. Caused me a couple of brown-shorted moments I must say. Then again, the guards on the Hope Valley for example always seem to enjoy ramming as many bikes on as they can in the style of how-many-elephants-can-you-get-in-a-Mini.
Last edited by RIP on Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
gazaddy

Post by gazaddy »

Thanks guys, yes Reg , Oxenholme is where I'm getting off.
--------------------------------------champagne lifestyle on lemonade budget
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I've done two return trips to the lakes from London

Bike space booked on the phone
Ticket booked online

Pick up both sets of tickets from any big London train station.

So far so good