What does your perfect event look like?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pistonbroke

Re: What does your perfect event look like?

Post by pistonbroke »

Perfect solution to leave no trace, launch it into orbit, works for NASA. Crapapult, sometimes I think I'm wasted here :-bd
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:12 am Yeah- I thought that was it. Plenty of free, running water in Wales though. Are there "rules" regarding the condition of the water to be used (sorry to ask but it's all educational, right)?
Colin... yep. Its definitely very good indeed to ask and we (as muslims... and if any muslim tells you otherwise then they've kinda missed the point) believe that not only Prophet Muhammed but all the prophets -peace be upon em all (albeit, their way of life was a model for that specific time period before the next prophet superceded them) came as manuals for 'how to lead your life'....

In doing so there was the best of both worlds to be gained... so for example if one just followed their example but didn't believe in them (in Islams case Muhammed PBUH as the final and last messenger of God and God being the only one worthy of worship without partners) as being the (final) prophet. Th3 worldy benefit is still there for the taking :-bd

By way of example, this from my Nursing Manual (Royal Marsden Student Edition 2008 if you must know) clarifies how the prophetic example is actually helping in reducing infection risks across the board*

So... without firther ado. Colin, to answer your Q (and I've fired it to my scholarly buddy just in case I've missed the point and to refresh me). In addition to what Bob said...

From the Islamic perspective AFAIK... Drinking water= as long as its running and hence being filtered through the terrain. Theres more to it than this (like making sure its away from toilet sources and contamination). Based on this ( :o ) there was this one time I was in the Lakes and totally parched. High up in the hills and urgently needed water. Rightly or wrongly (on the road rides its not as easy to find water sources as with mtb) I saw a gushing water ledge thingy. But it was running through some moss and had a tinge of green to it!! I topped my one bottle with it and used it :-bd Still alive and maybe if I'd had a filter then that I'd have used....

In the Elan Valley and around Wales I just topped up my bottles from the running water sections and just caught it from over the rockery. No filter :lol:

Now water for ablution. Again, AFAIK... As long as the pool of water is large (think Lake and swimming baths as way of example) enough and clear then its fine to do wudhu with... Otherwise if its your standard drinking water, as long as it still looks clear (for example if you popped some dilute in there then probably wouldnt be suitable as it'd look orange... but if the dilute had been into a massive 3L reservpir and not too much that its still looked water then should be fine :wink: ... on this note (reminder to self) I did the other day only have water with honey in it for my reservpir... Looked clear so followed the above rule of thumb. Maybe slightly sticky and probably gave the insects afyerwards a bit of nutrition. Still nwed to check if that was fine...

Toileting water... any of the above are fine (and I'm extrapolating here) wtih the drinking water being the best. I'd noy use dirty water though as I'm sure thats against the Sunnah (way of prophet Muhammed PBUH) and would definitely be an infection control risk.

Not sure if that answereth your Q Colin :-bd

Stu... sorry for making your thread into a poo thread but bringing it back, ideal ride... At least a few spots where one could go take cpver behind a bush without the risk of other boners noticing ypu doing the deed :smile: ... I normally, during road rides this is, get happier when theres long sections of tall greenery away from the road but easy to reach but out of the way (if that makes sense)...
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Anyway, back to the stresses of retirement Image
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

whitestone wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:51 am
Alpinum wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:22 am Perfect event?

You get a starting point and an ending point between which is wilderness.
Similar to the AMWC just longer and in an area with less bushes and more emptyness.

I'd want food from pouches, kg's of pepper/rosemary macadamia and chocolate. Frozen underpants and dangerous glacier crossing, fierce river fords and fire spitting dragons. No humans for multiple weeks. Ghosts and moving shadows instead. Strong winds.
Seems I need a holiday soon...
Kamchatka? :-bd
Too green (in most places) for what I'm thinking of.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Not sure if that answereth your Q Colin
It does, so an observation in return. One of the big differences I noticed between Wales doing my BB200 and my usual haunt of the Scottish Highlands was (a) the higher number of sheep and (b) the scarcity of what looked to be clean, flowing water. The latter is particularly an issue after dark.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

:-bd Thanks again Colin
ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:50 pm
Not sure if that answereth your Q Colin
It does, so an observation in return. One of the big differences I noticed between Wales doing my BB200 and my usual haunt of the Scottish Highlands was (a) the higher number of sheep and (b) the scarcity of what looked to be clean, flowing water. The latter is particularly an issue after dark.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:37 pm Bearstock was along those lines James.
Bearstock with less midges would be perfect.
Maybe by a lake/river for a pack rafting trip :wink:

Although I have the word event and prefer "meet up" as it puts less pressure on anyone.

With the help of a team professionals looking to get people enthused, some traders with sample rafts & gear and several guest speakers I'm quite happy how this "meet up" has being accepted
Bikes are also welcome on Saturday afternoon
https://thejohnclimber.wordpress.com/20 ... g-meet-up/
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

Everyone turns up, parks up their bikes, and get's allocated a number for their bike. All these numbers are put in a bowl, and everyone has to ride whichever bike number they pick out, camp with whatever the owner has loaded and eat their food.

No GPS. At the start you are given the appropriate map and the first 6 figure reference, once, verbally, and you can't write it down. At the second you get the second reference etc. The riders have no idea how long the event is, or where the camp is.

In the morning you pick a new bike number out of the hat, and it repeats.

Everyone gets back to a central site where there are local bands and beer.

There will be loads of talking points as you discuss why the first bikes owner packed a brick and 2 tins of anchovies :lol:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Cheddar Man wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:03 pm Everyone turns up, parks up their bikes, and get's allocated a number for their bike. All these numbers are put in a bowl, and everyone has to ride whichever bike number they pick out, camp with whatever the owner has loaded and eat their food.

No GPS. At the start you are given the appropriate map and the first 6 figure reference, once, verbally, and you can't write it down. At the second you get the second reference etc. The riders have no idea how long the event is, or where the camp is.

There will be loads of talking points as you discuss why the first bikes owner packed a brick and 2 tins of anchovies :lol:
Type 2 fun.....
Sounds a bit like basic training for squaddies, not fun time Bikepacking :grin:
Maybe get someone with a Freddie Mercury moustache to shout at everyone whilst they ride for added authenticity :lol:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Everyone turns up, parks up their bikes, and get's allocated a number for their bike. All these numbers are put in a bowl, and everyone has to ride whichever bike number they pick out, camp with whatever the owner has loaded and eat their food.

Genius :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

What about a central base with several waypoints scattered around it. Ride from the central base to a waypoint, take a photo of it or whatever then return to base to log it. Then head to the next etc etc etc. Do the waypoints in whatever order you want but only one at a time. Getting close to night time, collect your bike bags from central and head out for a bivi.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Isn't that how swinging started?

On second thoughts, maybe not :lol:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Problem is that you'd have people taking their worst bikes (for humour and trust!) and then piling loads of stuff on that they don't need just to weigh it down!

Plus I'm tall, so none of their kit would fit me! incl the bike
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Isn't that how swinging started?
Come to think of it, I'm sure I saw pampas grass growing at Bearbones Towers last time I was there or is the Welsh equivalent tussocks?
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Event idea: as previously suggested, ride to a checkpoint, get told where the next one is. The twist being that instead of a grid ref, you're just given a visual landmark to aim for.
gairym

Post by gairym »

How's about Stu trawls through all of the above and creates a weekend event/thing but doesn't reveal the format/distance/anything in advance and everyone has to turn up and do whatever the hell his twisted mind has dreamt up???

Could be exactly something that's already been mentioned, could be something completely different or a combination of ideas but whatever it is is the thing everyone is there to do.

Some loose guidelines re: kit, mapping etc... might be in order but then again maybe not and part of the challenge is being ready for anything.

:-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

:-bd This is getting ever more warped and devious - I like it! To extend further - turn up with no idea what's going to happen, but with no idea what date to turn up on either.... :d . Erm, are you still on board Stu?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

It's all going a bit Vic and Bob...

Q: Name a hairy dog.
A: St Bernard?'
Q: Oh I'm sorry - it was Golden Retriever.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Thats easy for me....

Jennride :-bd it has everything i need
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

My SS with the somewhat challenging 48 -12 gearing is ready for the bike swap
PS your inside leg best be 32 " as the seat post is stuck in it
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

pistonbroke wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:25 pm Anyway, back to the stresses of retirement Image
Does shaving your legs make any difference to bikepacking? :lol:
Perfect event -
Dry and sunny around 18-20 degrees with a stiff breeze, dry trails. A nice mix of double and single track with some right nadgery stuff (in moderation) and plenty of good descents but no silly 5000m per 100mile nonsense. About 200 miles so you do two satisfyingly long days with a bivvy thrown in without it being too much of a marathon. Good pubs at regular intervals for food and recovery drinks. Beer / pizza tent at finish line.

You did say perfect.....
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Haven't read my way through the replies so apologies if already covered but for those who have gone to the dark side battery recharging facilities.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Haven't read my way through the replies so apologies if already covered but for those who have gone to the dark side battery recharging facilities.
Kind of removes the self-supported nature of things Michael? Although if it's meant to be fun, does it matter? Probably not.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:55 am
Kind of removes the self-supported nature of things Michael? Although if it's meant to be fun, does it matter? Probably not.
Are you saying an electric bike does not count for ITT?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Hornets nest there :wink: . But that is indeed an interesting question/point. Surprised it hasn't come up before in eg. the 'Event Rules' thread. Maybe it has and I missed it.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster