What does your perfect event look like?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: What does your perfect event look like?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Asposium wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:37 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:01 pm 100ish miles with as much off road as possible. But no bogs nor scary river crossings. Plus tracks that are actually still tracks and not overgrown tussocks
That already exists
And it’s free to ride (though one may have to pay to park)
.....it’s called a trail centre
Ah... whats that.... a trail centre you say. How'd i find one?? Just Google it?? :-bd
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:24 am Some interesting stuff. Appears that riding mixed with a social gathering feature quite highly ... actually, the riding seems to take second place :wink:
the riding is a) an excuse for the gathering, and b) a convenient means of getting between social locations
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Shafiq (autocorrects to Shadow. I think you should adopt that name). Here's my take on my one, and so far only, BB200.

https://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2016/10 ... ekend.html
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:48 am Shafiq (autocorrects to Shadow. I think you should adopt that name). Here's my take on my one, and so far only, BB200.

2016 was fairly "tame"

Now 2018, that was a test of tenacity
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:30 am
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:50 am
this weekend I did spot a bridleway sign. Had a picture of a horse and when I looked up at the track all I could see was grass
You've entered the BB200 haven't you :lol:
Lol... have indeed. :shock: Just been reading Barringtons 2014 blog post to prep me proper :-bd
Really? :shock:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

As PostieRich says, pretty much like the JennRide, though maybe for Shafiq's sake not starting/ending at a brewery :wink:

The route format of previous years' JennRides meant that it was relatively easy to cut short the riding if you didn't have time or knew that you didn't ride a particular bridleway by missing a particular loop out. It does help that the area between Ambleside and Coniston has a very good network of bridleways to allow that.

This year's ride was such that many people, including myself, aimed for pub meal in the Newfield then up Walna Scar to bivy. So maybe a suitable eatery at about 2/3rds the way along the route with good bivy opportunities an hour or so's riding beyond that. That gives a decent day's riding for the first day with a steady ride back to the start on the second.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I quite liked the adventure cycling festival of couple of years ago now - social riding, a few workshops and more social riding. A perfect event would squeeze in someone talking me through how to take my bike apart and put it back together again and the various ways put up a tarp :grin:
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:48 am Shafiq (autocorrects to Shadow. I think you should adopt that name). Here's my take on my one, and so far only, BB200.

Thanks Colin... About the name, been thinking that too... let mw mull it over... nice name mind
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

PaulB2 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:36 am I quite liked the adventure cycling festival of couple of years ago now - social riding, a few workshops and more social riding. A perfect event would squeeze in someone talking me through how to take my bike apart and put it back together again and the various ways put up a tarp :grin:
Andy Toop (backcountry.scot) organised a very similar event this year, based around packrafting but included bikepacking. There were some workshops and training sessions for those that wanted them but it was also a chance to get together and chat about kit, locations etc. Unfortunately I missed it.
redefined_cycles

Asposium wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:53 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:30 am
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:50 am
this weekend I did spot a bridleway sign. Had a picture of a horse and when I looked up at the track all I could see was grass
You've entered the BB200 haven't you :lol:
Lol... have indeed. :shock: Just been reading Barringtons 2014 blog post to prep me proper :-bd
Really? :shock:
Just reading over it as have entered... Hopefully it'll all be nice and lovely and nothing like the harder years you all have endured....

In other news, just cos I've entered doesn't mean I'm capable to finish. But will give it my very bestest (pardon the french) shot :grin:
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

Forgot to say, but really important. Bacon rolls for breakfast, with brown sauce of course!!
May satan walk with you
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

ssnowman wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:45 pm Forgot to say, but really important. Bacon rolls for breakfast, with brown sauce of course!!
Of course that's wrong, everybody in the South knows that red sauce goes best with Bacon!!!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

dlovett wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:11 pm
ssnowman wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:45 pm Forgot to say, but really important. Bacon rolls for breakfast, with brown sauce of course!!
Of course that's wrong, everybody in the South knows that red sauce goes best with Bacon!!!
I think that just proves how weird people down south really are! :wink: :lol: First beer with no head now this :roll:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

But I'm a Northerner, living in the South. So I know better :wink:
May satan walk with you
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

whitestone wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:14 pm
I think that just proves how weird people down south really are! :wink: :lol: First beer with no head now this :roll:
Hey there, guess what, we even chill it now. It's very refreshing to, much better that that tepid bitter stuff...
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

ssnowman wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:14 pm
But I'm a Northerner, living in the South. So I know better :wink:
2 countries, 1 flag!
postierich

Post by postierich »

South Lakes Bike Fest is crying out for people to do talks workshops films we we have a marquee, electric so if anyone knows anyone that wants to do anything let me know.
www.southlakesbikefest.com
RIP

Post by RIP »

Another "like" for Taylor's "clue for next waypoint is at this waypoint" idea (like treasure hunt, but more "orienteering" really). Of course this is going to put the wind up those who have to have a GPX for everything :lol: . Also like PaulB2's thing about workshops, tarp displays etc. Wasn't that planned for WRT 2019? Did it happen, cos I was fashionably late for WRT and didn't see? Poor old Stu, he's opened up a hornets nest here and would need helping hands for some of the ideas. Don't envy you making sense of all these ramblings - but you did ask after all :smile: . Whose was the idea of a field behind a pub (yes OK, and/or cafe, preferably "and") for the catering and silly games? Top idea - most games at Stu's would involve a steep slope :wink: .
Last edited by RIP on Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

+1 for the waypoint/orienteering idea. Maybe it'll mean some handmade mapBoard designs... I still have half a mapboard sat in the messy shed just waiting to see the light of day...

Why not a full on 100 miler (or 143 to make it 200km if you must but 100 for me is plenty type2 and 1 fun) with maps dished out at the start point and somehow make your way across the points and, erm, get points...

Thanks Bob for the consideration of non-pub starts etc :-bd but really shouldn't be too much a problem (although for me, my preferance would be obviously to take a rain check :lol: )... Besides... Its really nit good for the liver :sad: :smile:
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:17 pm +1 for the waypoint/orienteering idea. Maybe it'll mean some handmade mapBoard designs... I still have half a mapboard sat in the messy shed just waiting to see the light of day...

Why not a full on 100 miler (or 143 to make it 200km if you must but 100 for me is plenty type2 and 1 fun) with maps dished out at the start point and somehow make your way across the points and, erm, get points...
collect points? where's that face palm emoji when needed

at least with such an idea I would have a free may bank holiday

for the above go look at OMM bike lite
redefined_cycles

I do apologise for my ignorance sir. Will try my best to be more thoughtful that I dont offend you in future posts or make you want to face plant...

Walks away and goes back to look after his patient in shame... :???: shame on me
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Remember, points make Pandas.

May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:47 pm Remember, points make Pandas.

:lol: :lol: I'll take the Panda please Stu
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:41 pm I do apologise for my ignorance sir. Will try my best to be more thoughtful that I dont offend you in future posts or make you want to face plant...

Walks away and goes back to look after his patient in shame... :???: shame on me
I wasn’t getting at you, merely the idea.

My apologies if the comment was deemed as such.

As for face plant, a common occurrence here.
redefined_cycles

Aha... No worries and thanks for the clarification. To be fair I do often have the oddest of ideas :smile: