What does your perfect event look like?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Asposium

Re: What does your perfect event look like?

Post by Asposium »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:17 pm Aha... No worries and thanks for the clarification. To be fair I do often have the oddest of ideas :smile:
Just you wait and see some of the absolutely absurd ideas I have.

I make most people look sensible
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:17 pm Why not a full on 100 miler (or 143 to make it 200km if you must but 100 for me is plenty type2 and 1 fun) with maps dished out at the start point and somehow make your way across the points and, erm, get points...
I took part in an event like that last year, it was great fun. As the rules said nothing about not using a gps, (I event asked and event organiser) we spent 10 minutes at the start tapping in all the waypoints and plotting a route to follow on the Garmin. We soon got past most other competitors as they were constantly stopping to look at their maps!

So perhaps make it like the other suggestion, you only get the next waypoint’s details when you get to a waypoint, that way nobody gets an advantage by being good at Garmin plotting and routing.

Cabin Fever will be like that next year, you won’t get the gpx for the next 130-200km loop, till you have completed the previous one. It really makes gear selection much more difficult as you either have to risk travelling light, or take the full kitchen sink’s worth of gear.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:48 am Shafiq (autocorrects to Shadow. I think you should adopt that name). Here's my take on my one, and so far only, BB200.

https://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2016/10 ... ekend.html
Just finished reading that straight after Ian Barringtons 2014 report... Enjoyed em both and very informative...

My plan is to read as many as possible to hopefully gain some more inspiration as well as dial in what kit I'd be taking.... Something tells me my 18L Osprey rucksack and keep the central triangle free for HAB when it needs shouldering. One bottle inside triangle and 2 on the Travis forks :geek: hmmm... Decisions decisions
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's Wales in October - why on earth would you take 3 water bottles?
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:55 pm It's Wales in October - why on earth would you take 3 water bottles?
Well last year you just lifted your head up by 45 degrees and opened your mouth ....

and drowned :???: :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

For bb200 ask yourself: do you intend stopping?
If yes, take day ride stuff and sleeping gear at the comfort level you want
If no, take what is necessary from the rules and sufficient lighting to ride through the night
After last year tubeless is highly recommended; I probably lost about 4 hours to punctures.
A backup means of navigation is also recommended. (And not one’s phone)
If cycling straight through, will your primary navigation last the duration? If not, can it be recharged during the ride and (potentially) in the rain. {{discovered last year that my Garmin couldn’t be recharged in the rain, cost £106 to get a replacement}}
HaB doesn’t typically require carrying the bike; swearing, yes; dragging, sometimes
Nice to keep a rucksack light, more comfortable; that said, will have a rucksack as somewhere to keep valuables and light battery (mainly the light battery)
When stu releases the route study for resupply locations; they will dictate how much food and water to carry.
Minimise stop time; even walking at 5kmh is forward progress
After last year, good water proofs.
Expect it to rain, that way it won't be a surprise if (when) it does
Similarly expect to cross a river, how wet one gets in another matter
Shoes you can hike in; do not expect 100% rideable, it ain’t gonna happen
BB200 is more a mental challenge than physical test.
Yes, there might be 4,000m of climbing; however, that means there’s also 4,000m of descent
20hours at 10kmh with 4hours stop time. Sounds so easy when typing it out.
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:55 pm It's Wales in October - why on earth would you take 3 water bottles?
Just something I'd been thinking through (ie. 1 or 3...)... 2 bottles it is then :-bd

Thanks for the above pointers Asposium... :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

No, one was the correct answer :wink:
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:43 pm No, one was the correct answer :wink:
2nd one for hygiene duties and washing of hands etc. It'll remain clean so the possibilities are endless... :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

2nd one for hygiene duties and washing of hands
On the BB200 :lol:
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:43 pm
Oh... I think you thought I meant having a shower or summat like that no?? I'm talking of cat trowel stuff... surely most people be expecting to go toilet within the 30 hours at some point yeah/no?? Maybe my GI tract is a bit fast!! :lol: ... water for washing self after down under carriage :-bd
Robster

Post by Robster »

Just reading through the posts and have to agree that a ride to a grid ref to get the next waypoint sounds brilliant. Even better if all the points are on one map?
I’m sure it will be fun whatever you plan.

Cheers Rob

P.s. red sauce
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:25 pm
Oh... I think you thought I meant having a shower or summat like that no?? I'm talking of cat trowel stuff... surely most people be expecting to go toilet within the 30 hours at some point yeah/no?? Maybe my GI tract is a bit fast!! :lol: ... water for washing self after down under carriage :-bd
Possibly a cultural thing here. If I have to "go" outdoors I make do with paper/wipes. I also carry antibacterial hand gel.
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:29 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:25 pm
Possibly a cultural thing here. If I have to "go" outdoors I make do with paper/wipes. I also carry antibacterial hand gel.
Thats right colin (religious thing). Probably coukd get away with wipes (not sure) but as a general rule of thumb, after spending a penny or a pound, in Islam, one must wash themselves (if able to do so... but must try bestest)...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yeah- I thought that was it. Plenty of free, running water in Wales though. Are there "rules" regarding the condition of the water to be used (sorry to ask but it's all educational, right)?
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

If I had a large group of bikepacking pals all in one place for a theoretical event I’d like to hold the bikepacking equivalent of the fixie ally cats.

Events like the hurdles over gates, some tarp pitching, dangley mug jousting where you have to fill competitors mug with water/sheep muk, skid contest, transporting inconveniently large items on your bike, a slow race, egg and spoon and bike and bumps, three legged four wheeled. Just general messing about with bikes and kit.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

benconnolli wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:20 am If I had a large group of bikepacking pals all in one place for a theoretical event I’d like to hold the bikepacking equivalent of the fixie ally cats.

Events like the hurdles over gates, some tarp pitching, dangley mug jousting where you have to fill competitors mug with water/sheep muk, skid contest, transporting inconveniently large items on your bike, a slow race, egg and spoon and bike and bumps, three legged four wheeled. Just general messing about with bikes and kit.
That conjures up images of the Monty Python sketch "Upper Class Twit of the Year" :grin:

Shafiq: you could take a water filter to reduce the amount of water you had to actually carry. When I worked out in the desert in the Middle East the water supplied for ablutions and pre-prayer washing was the same as the drinking water but in separate containers so possibly ensuring it's potable is sufficient.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Hmmm.....the perfect bikepacking event.....

You all know me, as long as it's über serious, highly competitive and heavy on the strict rules I'll be happy :-bd

Ok, possibly not so much.

To be honest the thing I've enjoyed most about certain bikepacking events in the past is the banter and shared experience of a great big bike ride with good people.

The thing I'd like to see replicated in event form is the 'big bunch of mates buggering off on an adventure' like we all did when we were kids/teenagers.

When I saw the Rough Stuff Fellowship photos emerging it really hit home that that's what I miss about biking. Just a load of people fannying about on bikes and having a laugh.

In the same way that Monopoly is almost guaranteed to end in fighting and ill feeling due to its selfish nature I think shifting bikepacking away from Me vs You/Them and more towards Us all playing nicely is what I'd like to see.

I know, I know, hippy b0llovks aplenty but Stu asked and so I'm answering :grin:

I'm not so bothered about beer tents and music etc... as that's a different thing entirely (and a very good thing it is to!) but obviously I'll be sniffing out a nice pint whilst on any given bikepacking adventure.

I'm afraid I've no idea what this mythical event I'm imagining might end up looking like but I know how it'll feel :???:

Cheers, Gairy.

Note: I also like the sound of Taylor's suggestion of only getting the next point at the present point etc...
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Perfect event?

You get a starting point and an ending point between which is wilderness.
Similar to the AMWC just longer and in an area with less bushes and more emptyness.

I'd want food from pouches, kg's of pepper/rosemary macadamia and chocolate. Frozen underpants and dangerous glacier crossing, fierce river fords and fire spitting dragons. No humans for multiple weeks. Ghosts and moving shadows instead. Strong winds.
Seems I need a holiday soon...
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:29 pm If I have to "go" outdoors
I'll never look at that shop the same again
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Alpinum wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:22 am Perfect event?

You get a starting point and an ending point between which is wilderness.
Similar to the AMWC just longer and in an area with less bushes and more emptyness.

I'd want food from pouches, kg's of pepper/rosemary macadamia and chocolate. Frozen underpants and dangerous glacier crossing, fierce river fords and fire spitting dragons. No humans for multiple weeks. Ghosts and moving shadows instead. Strong winds.
Seems I need a holiday soon...
Kamchatka? :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

restlessshawn wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:42 am
:lol:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:40 am
restlessshawn wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:42 am
:lol:
:lol: :lol: might that explain where they got their name from...
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Looks like whoever does their copywriting is a bit dyslexic :grin:
https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15903484/n ... t-15903484
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I read that as Crap Catapult at first