Charge Spoon Ti query

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Charge Spoon Ti query

Post by redefined_cycles »

The title is probably not the most representative of what I'm asking. But heres the deal...

I found Charge Spoon to be one of the most comfy saddle ever. Then started experimenting with lighter weights and different grades of padded shorts and left the yearning for 'most comfy saddle' (for example I just made the 100miles with 10000 ft Elan Velo around Stu and Co County with just a generic crappy Giant saddle... with not much soreness... but maybe a bitand enough for me to open my mind again to saddles).

With the Spoon I used to find that they were comfy as anything but then after time (alot of it) it felt like the padding would stop providing the relief that once was.

Anyway... Am either thinking of going back to a Spoon and wondered whether any Spoon users found the Ti version even better and worth the spend... Or I might go for something like an Italian built (Selle San Marco or Selle Italia or Selle SMP.... or whatever) thing to go with the theme of the bike. Will just ensure that it measures up corrwct with my behind...

So, whats your thoughts of saddles (please lets not mention Brooks :-bd as the recent mentions of how they've been giving delamination problems or the sorts, has put me off them a bit more) without breaking the bank too badly :geek:
ScotRoutes

Re: Charge Spoon Ti query

Post by ScotRoutes »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:08 pm
With the Spoon I used to find that they were comfy as anything but then after time (alot of it) it felt like the padding would stop providing the relief that once was.
Exactly this. They start fine and deteriorate over a period of a few months.

If you like a Spoon then you may also like the Specialized saddles in 143mm width. They are almost the same shape. I use them on most bikes now. More expensive, but they last A LOT longer. For a MTB you'd likely want a Phenom of some sort. They range in price/lightness.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Used the spoon for few years now but then i discovered the joys of a cambian c17 and its now the saddle for me. Super comfy not the lightest but holding up well, its got about 9500 miles in it and still going strong. Just bought the womens shorter version for the gravel bike and thats also really comfy and only 40 quid :-bd
redefined_cycles

Thanks Mike and Colin... Thats good info is that. I've been erring towards an SMP Selle (more for the blingy, "look at my wierd handmade Italian saddle factor" factor but also reports of the wierdness being a bit comfy :-bd ) but will be checking prices and further reports here and online before making the leap :smile:
RobLyon

Post by RobLyon »

I personally can't see ti seat rails doing much for comfort but i havent tried them. I've gone all in on selle smp saddles and now own 3. I think they all came from bikeinn.
redefined_cycles

RobLyon wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:03 pm I personally can't see ti seat rails doing much for comfort but i havent tried them. I've gone all in on selle smp saddles and now own 3. I think they all came from bikeinn.
Rob... I understand they dont measure up in the traditional way but have a rough guide and then you borrow the saddle to dial in exact fit... Any advice on the fastest way to save from all this hassle. The SMP website has narrowed me down (according to my trouser size which avtually works out to a sit bone size of 144mm similar to the Spoon) to an SMP Well. But dont fancy too much heavy spending (especially since its £70 on sales)... thanks :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

WTB speeds are dead comfy and CRC have the cro mo version on sale for 33 quid just now. Heavier than a spoon mind but I'm only comfy on a spoon for about 5 hours whereas I can sit all day on the WTB, and that's on the Jones with high bars
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Is the Fabric Scoop more durable than a Spoon? I’ve been riding a Spoon that feels like its suspension gave out years ago. I’m used to it and don’t suffer particularly but it does feel like it could be more comfy.

I’d also like to try out a Cambium. Guess I’d need a C17, and the carved version seems appealing.
redefined_cycles

Charliecres wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:20 pm Is the Fabric Scoop more durable than a Spoon? I’ve been riding a Spoon that feels like its suspension gave out years ago. I’m used to it and don’t suffer particularly but it does feel like it could be more comfy.

I’d also like to try out a Cambium. Guess I’d need a C17, and the carved version seems appealing.
From what I read on some (posibbly only 1 or 2) the fabric on the scoop (no pun intended) isn't very durable at all!

HTrider, regards the WTB Speed (V I assume you talk of) and the SDG belair and even the Selle Italia Flite/lynk ans many others, it was the Charge Spoon that superceded all these for me. Maybe all them years ago I hadn't realised it was a measure of the sitbones that makes a big difference...

For many years I was then a massive advocate of the Charge Spoon and even did a Calderdale 50 miler (road mind you) with just boxer shorts to prove to myself what an amazing saddle it was/is...

Only recently, in the past few years with mileages getting bigger I realised the thing of the Spoon losing its comfiness over time. Thats when I got rid of all my Spoons (think I must have had 3 at that time) and just been riding whatever came to hand.

A donor from my elder bro on Stan (the Sonder) and a crappy Giant currently on Frieda (steel roadie)... Before that on the superlight carbon Canyon roadie (Earnie if you must know) I was running the 105g San Marco Superleggera (copy but must have been good as I managed my 90 miler road commute a few times on it) and just adjusted the way I ride with perching on the saddle as opposed to sitting in/on it...

Anyway, I suppose its time to start looking after my behind a little more if these mileages are getting bigger even on the mtb :-bd ... Like Rob, I'm gonna start with the Selle SMP (on the roadie) as thats where most of my mileage is normally. Marc Beumont I believe uses them also so that funny design obviously has something going for it :???:
gairym

Post by gairym »

I was a Spoon man for years but, as with yourself, once rides go above about 6 hours or so they stop being comfy and start being hurty.

Since then I've played with more than a few saddles and I've settled on the Cambium C15 (cutout) which I'm very pleased with.

I still feel as though the perfect saddle is out the awaiting discovery so am thinking of a B17 (Imperial) next but in the meantime I highly recommend the C15.
Andy5390

Post by Andy5390 »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:46 pm
From what I read on some (posibbly only 1 or 2) the fabric on the scoop (no pun intended) isn't very durable at all!
I have one with around 4k miles on it. While it hasn't changed in comfort, the "skin" is peeling on the front
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Try the madison flux. It's a charge spoon with a heavier duty cover
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Gusset R Series* is also the same saddle.

I find the Flux and R Series are similarly affected by the reduction in comfort that the Spoon suffers from.

* geddit?
Fargoist

Post by Fargoist »

Another vote for WTB speed's, think I have the older versions but same shape etc. When I first started road cycling I tried a much flatter shaped saddle but got agonisingly painful sitbones, and found the wtb one I had much much more comfortable. Done 200k road rides on the WTB's with no more problems than you would expect.
redefined_cycles

Thanks all... managed to get a £130 Selle SMP for less than £70... Seems to be good reports from here and online so worth a shot...

Will report back when its appropriate on that :-bd