Any Kayaker's? Newbie tips wanted

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RobLyon

Any Kayaker's? Newbie tips wanted

Post by RobLyon »

I'm sure there's a few?

I've recently bought a used Perception Prodigy II tandem touring kayak. I've not had it out on the water yet but we took the same boat out in Rursee on holiday. We really struggled to keep it going in a straight line but we'll keep practising.

I'm looking for some general advice on how best to progress and build confidence safely? Also a nice wide open place where we can go practice without a license? Thinking Bala Lake and Derwent water? The local kayak club seem quite active but seems quite heavily biased towards white water.

So far we've always managed to stay dry but I should really learn how to self rescue. We've got flotation vests but are throw lines/and bilge pumps essential for calm waters? Any other essential equipment i'm missing? Once we get more confident i'd like to do some touring. My dads mentioned he'd like to do the great glen way, any other nice routes?

Thanks in advance,

Rob
middleagedmadness

Re: Any Kayaker's? Newbie tips wanted

Post by middleagedmadness »

Go down and speak to your local club ,you'll probably find there's a sub section of folks who like flattish water I know there is up here ,take the course you'll get your bcu card and learn the important stuff like self rescue also you'll get to know about water access rights , which in England and Wales are worse than MTB access
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hi Rob,

I've not paddled a tandem much so I imagine there is a bit of teamwork required with getting your paddle strokes in time. Other than that my top tips would be to make sure you are snug in the boat with your feet on the foot rests and ideally some padding around your hips, without this is easy for the boat to start turning even if your body is trying not to.

Also try make sure you are looking where you want to go, if you look to the left your body will rotate and so will your boat.

Make sure you wear your flotation devices but also be careful going far from shore if you can't self rescue yet, Bala lake can be very cold and people have got into trouble there before, even in summer. You should be able to find some instructors that could teach you forward paddling and some safety stuff like self rescues in a day or so. Might be well worth it.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Occasional flat water dodderer here.

Lomo are a great source of cheap / durable / affordable / bargain canoe gear if you need any.

With a two-person, one is typically the stoker and the other stoke+steering. Make sure you're not both trying to steer :wink:

Depends how far you want to travel but I paddle on Wast Water (West Cumbria), mostly because the canoe lives up there and I've got a place to stay. It is a glorious spot. Flat as a pancake usually too :grin:
crewlie

Post by crewlie »

Just started sea kayaking. We managed to get on a swimming pool course to learn some self/assisted rescue techniques as well as some basic strokes. We’re also going to get at least a day’s training on the water on rescue before we venture too far.
We haven't got a bilge pump yet, but we probably will need one for the sea but we’ve been told not to get or use a tow line until we’ve had training on their use, I think risk of entanglement is the concern. I wouldn’t think either are as essential for calm water, but conditions can change on you quickly.
At the moment we’re just going out on calm days until we get a bit more confident, but it is fun when the waves get up a bit, but we’re just giving the water a lot of respect.
We eventually decided to splash :wink: out on dry suits and we dress for the water temp rather than air, mind you, the sea here might be a bit colder than lakes tend to be, but maybe not. Everybody we spoke to had a different opinion of the best way...just like biking! Read up on cold water shock, if you do go for an unintended swim it can be a serious risk!
We too plan to tour, hopefully round the West Coast Islands...one way to get some more use out of all this bikepacking kit :lol:
We have joined our local club, as MaM says, loads of good advice there even if it’s not all specific to what you want to do.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

but we’ve been told not to get or use a tow line until we’ve had training on their use, I think risk of entanglement is the concern.
I suspect the greater risk is one kayak overturning and becoming waterlogged, sinking and putting the other kayak in severe trouble because they can't be separated.

Agree a bilge pump for calm water is probably unnecessary, except, if you will struggle to handle a semi-flooded boat, particularly its emptying whilst you are in the water (i.e. not close to the shore). It can be a hard thing to do with one of you in the water and depending on fitness / strength, water temp' etc.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

The emptying ,righting and re-entering the kayak was dealt with on about week 4 of our course ,treading water and lifting /turning the boat is not as easy as it sounds , re-entering we dealt with as a pair
If you have the time and the spare cash (expensive ) a week at plas y brenin ( or Glenmore if your north of the boarder) will have you sorted ,had a few courses there with the kids and I don't believe you can get better training ,and the progress you achieve over the week is unbelievable ,
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I've irregularly been going on touring and sea kayaking trips for about 15 years and more regular use my packraft and in both cases I visited courses and went on multiday 1:1 trainings and these have made the most difference. Looking back I think I should've visited them earlier.

Proper boost in all things related. Makes you much more safe, gives you a proper understanding etc. I highly recommend taking a course.

I have a very good adress close to Oban if you fancy training in the diverse sea around that area.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Alpinum wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:49 pm ...

I have a very good adress close to Oban if you fancy training in the diverse sea around that area.
As in sea kayak instructor? I would be interested as it's something I've been meaning to do. TIA.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:00 pm
Alpinum wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:49 pm ...

As in sea kayak instructor? I would be interested as it's something I've been meaning to do. TIA.
TIA?
Terrorism information awareness?
Transient ischemic attack?
Today is ape?
Tomorrow is apple pie?
Thanks in advance?

https://www.seafreedomkayak.co.uk
Tony is a superb teacher in all ways I can imagine. Top bloke.
Him and Olga also run a lovely B&B at Connel where the kayaking 'HQ' is based.