A bit of bivvy related input required.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

Re: A bit of bivvy related input required.

Post by sean_iow »

I should add that with the magnetic connector I attach it using a piece of elastic so there is some give. Also, when I first fitted it I had the length of elastic tied to the bivi bag and the connector at the level of the underside of the tarp. It was still easy to connect as I could just poke an arm out of the bivi and touch the two ends together, however, when it did detach as I had slid away from the tarp the magnet on the end of the elastic returns to the bivi bag at great speed and hit me on the face :lol: this did alert me to the fact that I had moved so it could be seen as a positive? I have now reversed it so the elastic hangs down from the tarp and the connector is at the bivi bag end.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
benp1

Post by benp1 »

That's a genius little bit of design there Sean (with the appropriate tweak so you don't get smacked in the face)

You could attach the other end to the tarp with a magnet combo if your tarp doesn't have the right sewn-in-loop too I suppose
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Any tips on how to attach a loop to the inside of a d&d superlight tarp? I’ve just checked and mine doesn’t have anything apart from taped seems on the inside.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I just sewed a loop of webbing onto the underside of my myog tarp at the ridge seam and sealed the stitching as I would the seams with diluted down silicon.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Is there anyway of glueing a webbing loop? I didn’t want to sew one as it would put holes to seal in it.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

i would just tape it on in that case- tenacious tape for example.

the weight of the netting is pretty minimal so its not like you are guying from it or it needs massive strength/breaking weight If it it fails it will just peel off anyway
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Lazarus wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:22 pm i would just tape it on in that case- tenacious tape for example.

the weight of the netting is pretty minimal so its not like you are guying from it or it needs massive strength/breaking weight If it it fails it will just peel off anyway
Ta, I'll get some and try
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Charliecres wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:47 am Yes - a torso net with enough room to move arms about in to allow you to eat, drink and re-touch lippy while sat around camp.
What is the reason for a half mesh, half waterproof construction? Do some bivi bags not have (sufficiently) waterproof hoods? Full mesh sounds like a great idea.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What is the reason for a half mesh, half waterproof construction? Do some bivi bags not have (sufficiently) waterproof hoods? Full mesh sounds like a great idea.
Yes, some bags have fully waterproof hoods.

Trouble with full mesh is that it'll snag and pick up all kinds of stuff from the ground, twigs, etc. A waterproof base also gives you the option to flip it over if you get caught in the rain :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
windjammer

Post by windjammer »