Water bottle cages

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Gummikuh

Water bottle cages

Post by Gummikuh »

Hi

After just doing the Jennride and losing another water bottle, what is the most secure method of carrying water over bumpy terrain? I don't need to access it all the time as I can transfer it to the stem cell when needed.

I have a camelback, but hate a sweaty back.

Any suggestions?

Pete
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Water bottle cages

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A good cage should be fine even over the roughest stuff but if you're looking for a way of carrying additional water, i find a 2L flexible bottle works well. I generally only fill it last thing before setting up for the night and have even being known to stick it in a jersey pocket or down my jacket but if there's a bit of room inside your bags, it would probably be better there :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

1l nalgene bittle in a feedbag is my preference but if you really want a cage, metal ones are the best as they can be bent to shape the bottle
RIP

Post by RIP »

You know what's coming..... sorry :wink: .... never failed yet and weighs a gnat's wing.... weight of the water's bad enough (filter's always in other stemcell), dunno how you cope with those heavy placky bottles and cages and whatnot.... this is miles away from all the flying sheep crud (*) too so no probs there either... :wink:

(*) flying sheep-crud rather than flying-sheep crud. Usually anyway.

PS> Hope we'll see you on one of Chilterns Japes soon Gummi.... you're only up the road...

Last edited by RIP on Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Water bottles and cages aren't always a perfect match as the detent notch position can vary. I find that Specialized cages and bottles are absolutely dependable. I have Zee cages so I can access them from the side too.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

As per above, check out secure it is. I don't remember ever losing a water bottle on a trip(apart from when they were lobbed in the side pocket of my rucksack)
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Steel cages are good as you can bend the cage in to make it tighter to suit your bottle. King Cages have always worked fine for me - you can order them from Keep Pedalling.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I've found the Lezyne Flow plastic cages to be very secure. I've used both the conventional and side entry versions with High 5 500ml and 750ml bottles with no issues even on very rough terrain.
Gummikuh

Post by Gummikuh »

Thanks for all the suggestions

Maybe I should mention I have a rigid bike.

I have Lezyne ones at present and they are pretty rubbish. I was thinking of making a rubber figure of 8 band or something to slip over the neck.

I even had one shoot straight out of a stem cell on a sharp drop down, admittedly it wasn't cinched up too tight and I saw that one go and found it.

And Reg, yes we should, I was out with Rich3rd last year I think. Tried to catch up on the WRT but missed you as you were a little later joining.
Gummikuh

Post by Gummikuh »

Don't worry all.

In true cheapskate fashion, I have made some rubber bands out of an old inner tube and these simply attach to the cage and stretch over the neck.

I have picked the bike up by the bottle so looks to be OK.

But thanks for all your ideas.

Pete
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I'm on a rigid bike too. Spesh zee cage, bontrager side entry, Topeak something, elite something

Honestly, they've all been good. Metal non side entry perhaps ever so slightly less good maybe

Bottles are usually camelbak podium or elite ones with the lid
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Elite Cannibal with every bottle I have ever used with it has never lost a bottle. Used camelback podium, various SIS, high 5, elite. All fine on a hardtail in the lakes.